How to delete default notebook & Make local notebook default notebook

I created a notebook and began to use Evernote. I realized that the notebook I had created was a synchronized notebook and I decided that I did not want to use a synchronized notebook for work related documentation. After searching I determined that I am unable to convert this notebook to a local notebook so I went ahead and re-made my notebooks but as local notebooks.

Now, as I am cleaning things up it appears that I am no allowed to delete this vestigial notebook that I made by mistake at the outset. I have no use for it, synching is turned off, but I simply can't remove it. I have it labeled as "Dummy Notebook" because of this. I realize that a stronger person could simply ignore this however I am finding it infuriating that I can't have a "clean slate" so to speak and use only local notebooks.

Is there any resolution to this? Do I need to make an entirely new Evernote account to clear out my notebooks?

• Level 5*

Just a guess, but is this notebook your only synchronized notebook?  If it is then it may be your "default" notebook which I don't think can be deleted.  Evernote requires you to have at least one synchronized notebook.

It is currently my "default" notebook. However I am unable to change the default status to one of my local notebooks. If I started a brand new, fresh Evernote account can I create only local notebooks or would it still force me to create a synched notebook?

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, jcdent0n said:

However I am unable to change the default status to one of my local notebooks

That is correct.  EN will not allow a local notebook to be used as a default.  You are required to have at least one synchronized notebook. 

I use mainly local notebooks myself but have one sync'd notebook named inbox that I use for collecting emails to EN or webclips.  I check that daily and then move the notes from there as needed.

• 6 months later...

This is another case where EverNote has removed another key feature.   I have created new local notebooks each year for documents the I have scanned.   Now that 2017 has arrived, I noticed that when I try to make my new 2017 local notebook the default, it won't do it.  The "Notebook Settings" option is grayed out for local notebooks.  My 2016 has been my default notebook all during 2016.  Since these are scanned documents, I don't want them in an synced notebook.  So my current mode of operation is to turn off automatic syncing.  Then I have a synced default notebook that I scan my documents into.  Then when I am done scanning, I have to move all the documents to my local 2017 notebook.  It is absolutely dumb to have to do this.  What does it hurt to be able to set any notebook as the default.  Is it time to look for an alternative to Evernote?

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, mbuck said:

This is another case where EverNote has removed another key feature.

Are you sure this is a "removed" feature.

Evernote is a cloud application.  Local notebooks have a use, but they don't function well as a default notebook.  The default is used by your account over multiple devices.

As to a destination for your scans, why not direct them to an import folder that loads to your chosen Notebook 

Yes, I am absolutely sure this is a removed feature.  Like I mentioned, I created new local folders each year (named with the year) and set the current year notebook as default.  This year it won't let me set my 2017 local notebook as default.  My scanner (ScanSnap) has an integration with Evernote to scan directly to a notebook.  The scanned documents go to the default notebook.  In previous years, it was fine.  The scanned documents went straight to the correct notebook.  Now I have to move them.  I am a Mac user as well using the installed Evernote application.  Local notebooks are key to my usage.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, mbuck said:

This is another case where EverNote has removed another key feature.   I have created new local notebooks each year for documents the I have scanned.   Now that 2017 has arrived, I noticed that when I try to make my new 2017 local notebook the default, it won't do it.  The "Notebook Settings" option is grayed out for local notebooks.  My 2016 has been my default notebook all during 2016.  Since these are scanned documents, I don't want them in an synced notebook.  So my current mode of operation is to turn off automatic syncing.  Then I have a synced default notebook that I scan my documents into.  Then when I am done scanning, I have to move all the documents to my local 2017 notebook.  It is absolutely dumb to have to do this.  What does it hurt to be able to set any notebook as the default.  Is it time to look for an alternative to Evernote?

Not a removed feature, just moved.  In the newer versions you have to go to File - New Local Notebook to create a local notebook.

EDIT:  Oops.  The above is for Windows.  Don't know if equivalent occurred on Mac.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, mbuck said:

My scanner (ScanSnap) has an integration with Evernote to scan directly to a notebook.  The scanned documents go to the default notebook.

And that's  not working for you.  Change the destination to a disk folder.

Using folder actions and Applescript, you can automate the import and control the Notebook used

• 8 months later...
On 1/8/2017 at 11:55 PM, mbuck said:

Just ran into this problem and this thread when I did a new install of EN and tried to change my default local folder.  I'm on a Mac.  I have client sensitive information that I store in local folders, so I am about 60/40 synced/local.  As a result of my workflows, I'm finding the best work around for me is to scan to a folder on my desktop, open notebooks, and then click and drag the desired files from my desktop to my local catch-all folder, which I call Incoming Local.  In this way, I will not have to worry about inadvertently syncing files to the cloud.

• Level 5*
On 2017-09-21 at 5:12 AM, NGB said:

I'm finding the best work around for me is to scan to a folder on my desktop, open notebooks, and then click and drag the desired files from my desktop to my local catch-all folder,

You can automate this and have the scans imported to your choice of notebook

Archived