Implementing Heading styles in Editor?

Dante Teo

Idea

16 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Pavlik said:

What for argument is that, it's old?

I’m not seeing any “it’s old” argument.  
The point being expressed was that implementing styles is a do-able project; it's existing technology and doesn’t have to be invented

>>Heading styles are a great idea for note taking and organizing text in a note taking program.

We need to convince Evernote this project should be a priority for the development team

You can indicate your support for this request (styles) using the voting buttons in the top left corner.

The vote count is currently 59d8b71f8e8b7_ScreenShot2017-10-07at04_14_15.png.4595aee7553c52ad2bd935c31aa33c59.png

• Level 5*
On 7/26/2016 at 8:21 AM, chappy72 said:

Old doesn't mean bad or useless.

21 hours ago, Pavlik said:

What for argument is that, it's old?

I think you guys totally missed my point.  By pointing out that having styles is old technology, I was trying to make the point that: (1) it should now be relatively easy to provide; (2) It is very common in today's apps; (3) Evernote is really falling behind the curve by not providing something so common.

In NO way was I suggesting that "old" is bad.  Old technology that has survived the ages, like the wheel, is a very good thing, and most of us expect it to be adopted in today's products.  Wouldn't you be shocked if someone offered a car (for use on the land in thawed-out climates) without wheels, especially if all of their competitors included the common wheel technology at no extra cost?  ;)

• Like 1

As Evernote users, it isn't productive to argue amongst ourselves. Best to focus on what we need.

A Markdown style of formatting would be greatly appreciated. But, even ANY ability to apply "styles" would be welcome at this point.

The styles feature is a common word processing feature; my use of the Evernote editor is for notes.

NO! It is not only a common word processing feature. It is a common feature of every useful note kepping app.

It has been a popular excuse here in this forum for the missing styles.

Styles have nothing todo with word processing but with structuring. Also simple notes can be structured.

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, Dante Teo said:

Maybe this post will be deleted by admin soon.:);)

That's something new.  I haven't noticed posts being deleted.  I've seen admin step in and close a discussion when things got too heated.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Dante Teo said:

If Evernote's team think this will be so hard, just look at this application be reference:

I'm not sure the reason Evernote has not implemented styles is due to technical difficulty.  There are many, many apps that offer styles with a rich text editor and that support Markdown.  On the Mac, styles are even built into the OSX, but EN Mac does NOT use them.

Styles is actually very old technology.  It was built in to HTML virtually from the beginning, and has been in Microsoft Word from its beginning in the late 1980's.

• Like 1
On 6/13/2016 at 0:39 PM, DTLow said:

That's something new.  I haven't noticed posts being deleted.  I've seen admin step in and close a discussion when things got too heated.

The only posts that are deleted here are Spam. You are correct about the second piece as well :).

On 14.6.2016 at 0:12 AM, JMichaelTX said:

Styles is actually very old technology.  It was built in to HTML virtually from the beginning, and has been in Microsoft Word from its beginning in the late 1980's.

Old doesn't mean bad or useless.

The only target should be: efficient add or edit content with formatting in Evernote. And styles are the most efficient way to do the formatting part.

Every day I add many notes in Evernote and it's really a drag...

• Like 1
On 6/13/2016 at 6:12 PM, JMichaelTX said:

Harnessing electricity is actually very old technology. People started really using electricity way back in the late 1800's. Are you still using this very old invention? If so why since it's so old? 

Lets not even go that old. Are you still using computers? Those are a pretty old technology as well. Older then Microsoft Word.

What for argument is that, it's old? People still use wheels even though that technology is thousands of years old. That means it's a really good idea if it's still around. Heading styles are a great idea for note taking and organizing text in a note taking program.

I’ve requested Markdown in the past, the answer was always the challenge of making the formatting look the same no matter what platform you’re on: Web, iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, etc. Short answer: Last I heard, they have the system working, so they don’t want to change it up (if it’s not broken, don’t try and fix it).

That’s not to say that you couldn’t implement Markdown-style syntax; other editors out there have done just that.

Seriously, why doesn't this exist in the Evernote Mac client or the Evernote iOS apps? It's obviously not impossible or undesired by users. Just look at how text styling is implemented in Apple's Notes application for Mac and iOS, for example. The Evernote development efforts seem to be focused on edge use cases while ignoring simple, obvious features that a large number of users have been requesting for years. I really am curious why this doesn't exist for Mac and iOS users.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
21 hours ago, bdittrich said:

The Evernote development efforts seem to be focused on edge use cases while ignoring simple, obvious features that a large number of users have been requesting for years. I really am curious why this doesn't exist for Mac and iOS users.

The styles feature is a common word processing feature; my use of the Evernote editor is for notes.

You're welcome to add your vote this request.  The current user vote count is 1175510845_ScreenShot2018-12-12at09_28_38.png.47eb8d38fab2bf60f61538395f6ad22a.png

Please implement any kind of styles.

Some notes may be a few lines long and don't require formatting. But a lot of notes require some structure for readability. I've skipped using Evernote in many occasions because it's a huge pain to make structured notes while I'm doing some kind of research. I want to spend time on what the note is about, not formatting the note.

Manually changing font sizes, bold, spacing in order to make thing readable is my number 1 pain using Evernote.

I would like to give this feedback to the Evernote team: if Evernote's goal is for users to take 3 line notes and set reminders, don't implement styles; if Evernote's goal is to also allow people to write notes regarding projects, classes, research, etc., then implement styles.

• Level 5*
On 10/7/2017 at 1:13 AM, Pavlik said:

What for argument is that, it's old? People still use wheels even though that technology is thousands of years old. That means it's a really good idea if it's still around. Heading styles are a great idea for note taking and organizing text in a note taking program.

I think you and maybe some others completely missed my point.  So let me spell it out:

The notion of having Styles in any kind of text display, and/or text editor, is so old that it should automatically be provided by default, in the very first version of any decent app that supports text editing.  It is a long-since well-proven UI for a text editor.

Or, as you said: "Heading styles are a great idea for note taking and organizing text in a note taking program."