Tags are deleted when note is deleted

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, Fantoon said:

Deleted a notebook my mistake, but I restored it successfully. All tags were gone though! This behvaior is very frustrating, why is this kind of data allowed to be deleted?

Can you share your restore process?  We've all been there with accidental deletions.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Fantoon said:

Restore Note.

That doesn't really explain your process, unless "Restore Note" is a special Windows feature.

I'm not clear on why the tags are deleted, and the "why is this kind of data allowed to be deleted" request.  I'm on a Mac, and deleting notes (or notebooks) doesn't delete tags.

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

That doesn't really explain your process, unless "Restore Note" is a special Windows feature.

I'm not clear on why the tags are deleted, and the "why is this kind of data allowed to be deleted" request.  I'm on a Mac, and deleting notes (or notebooks) doesn't delete tags.

If i delete a single note and restore it. It will go back to it's former notebook. All tags are intact.

If I delete a notebook and restore it. The notes will go back to my default notebook. All tags are gone.

Question Nr.1. Why isn't the notebook maintained in the trash so it can be restored as it was?

Question Nr.2. Even though the notebook is gone (only notes are showed in trash) why aren't the tags maintained when restored?

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, Fantoon said:

If i delete a single note and restore it. It will go back to it's former notebook. All tags are intact.

If I delete a notebook and restore it. The notes will go back to my default notebook. All tags are gone.

>>Question Nr.1. Why isn't the notebook maintained in the trash so it can be restored as it was?

I understand now.  The Trash is only being used for notes.  When a Notebook (or Tag) is deleted, it is gone; there is no restore capability.  

>>Question Nr.2. Even though the notebook is gone (only notes are showed in trash) why aren't the tags maintained when restored?

For me, tags are maintained when the note is in the Trash, and are restored along with the note. It doesn't matter if the delete was a single note or a notebook.

• Level 5*

@Fantoon

i can confirm the behavior you see.  Don't know why, but in Windows if you delete a notebook the notes are placed in the trash w/o any tags with your default notebook as te notebook of record.  Individual note deletion works fine maintaining the notebook and tags.  Not sure we will get any EN developer insight as to why this behavior so you might consider a trouble ticket.  Not clear to me the benefit of this design decision.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, csihilling said:

@Fantoon

i can confirm the behavior you see.  Don't know why, but in Windows if you delete a notebook the notes are placed in the trash w/o any tags with your default notebook as te notebook of record.  Individual note deletion works fine maintaining the notebook and tags.  Not sure we will get any EN developer insight as to why this behavior so you might consider a trouble ticket.  Not clear to me the benefit of this design decision.

@Fantoon The notebook loss I understand; the lost tag issue is an error.  I urge you to create a support ticket; there's a link in my signature section.  I'd do it myself, but it seems to be a Windows only feature.

I have moved this discussion to the Feedback forum.  Please indicate your support by using the voting buttons in the upper left corner.

2 hours ago, csihilling said:

@Fantoon

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

@Fantoon The notebook thing I understand; the lost tag issue is an error.  I urge you to create a support ticket; there's a link in my signature section.  I'd do it myself, but it seems to be a Windows only feature.

Thank you for your time and effort. I took your advice and created a ticket. I hope for a solution and fix in the near future

I have noticed that if I delete a note on one Windows PC its tags are maintained (which was not the case in past versions), but only on that PC; if I try to restore the note on another Windows PC its tags are missing.

Archived