Copy/paste PDF attachments between notes

• Level 5

I'm working in Windows 7, but I presume that wouldn't make a difference. I find that I can in fact right-click on a PDF document and get a menu that includes Cut and Copy. These work fine: either of them puts the PDF on the clipboard (via a temporary file), and it can then be pasted into a different note with Ctrl+V or Right Click > Paste.

There's also another way to copy the PDF to another note. When you hover the mouse over a PDF, a dialog bar pops up at the top. On the right end of the bar are 3 stacked lines. These are a grab handle: if you click and hold there, you can drag the PDF into another open note. This will copy, not move, the PDF, which will remain as it was in the source note. Also, the target note must be open in a separate window, not just visible in the Note List; if you try to drag the PDF onto a note in the note list, it will just create a new note with the PDF in it.

These are my results in just very brief testing. Hope this helps. What method were you trying that wasn't working? Maybe it is a Win10 issue after all.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, grahamprothero said:

Win10, latest version of Evernote. Just noticed that I can no longer copy/cut a PDF document/attachment from one note to another. I have tried a couple other file types (XLS,png)with no problem.  Any suggestions?

TIA, Graham

It seems to be working for me.  I can right click a PDF, copy, and then paste in another note.  Does it not work for any of your PDFs?

I think i found the problem. After trying to copy a PDF using the Grab method a message box appeared indicating it could not find the path specified.after further investigation i realised that this only applied to the PDF's that I renamed (using Evernote right click menu "rename"). I am assuming that this will probably happen to any attachment that is renamed and can be classed as a bug. Thanks for the responses guys.

Cheers, Graham

• Level 5*

Not sure.  I just renamed a PDF within EN and I was able to drag the renamed PDF to a another note.  May be something else going on, though I don't know what.

Archived