Jump to content
We apologize for the inconvenience, but chat support is currently unavailable. Please feel free to submit an email ticket or reach out at discussion.evernote.com. Thank you for understanding. ×
misy

ANSWERED Reminders not shown in Windows Client?

Recommended Posts

Hello community,

(actually wondering if there is support staff available...)

 

I'm lacking a view of my reminders in my windows client.

As I'm usually using Evernote on my PC, I also need to find my reminders there.

They should be available in the notebooks -  but I never see a complete view of them.

I know that there most be a huge pile of them because evernote bothers me with them on my Android app. BUt the screen is so small I don't want to review them on the mobile client, only...

Running 5.9.6.9494 as a premium member on Windows, if you need to know.

I really hope there is somebody who can cure my blindness...

 

Best regards - and many thanks in advance -

Michael

Share this post


Link to post
On June 3, 2016 at 7:42 AM, misy said:

I'm lacking a view of my reminders in my windows client.

As I'm usually using Evernote on my PC, I also need to find my reminders there.

They should be available in the notebooks -  but I never see a complete view of them.

On my Mac, a reminder section can be displayed at the top of the notes section (see image below)
I can also do a search for    reminderTime:*
I understand in the latest Window version you can also a reminder date as a column in list view

>> (actually wondering if there is support staff available...)

They pop in occasionally.  In the meantime, you have to make do with us fellow users.

Theres a link to Contact Support below in my signature section

Screen Shot 2016-06-03 at 9.36.08 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post

If you click on notebooks (the big heading with the icon) in the left hand column to get the "All Notebooks" view you should see all the reminders for all the notebooks at the top of the snippet (ctrl-F5) view.

Share this post


Link to post

You need to be in Snippet or Card view on the desktop to see your reminders, they will appear at the top of the note list. Below is what it looks like in the current 6.1.2 version, snippet view with the left panel closed.

Or do a search for reminderorder:* -reminderdonetime:*.  This will return all notes with open reminders, dated or not. 

ScreenClip.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

All good advice. I note, though, that misy is running the Windows program v. 5.9.6.9494. Did this change with the transition to v. 6? Might it be different in v. 5?

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

All good advice. I note, though, that misy is running the Windows program v. 5.9.6.9494. Did this change with the transition to v. 6? Might it be different in v. 5?

Nope, AFAIK.  The reminder drop down only appears in Snippet or Card view.  One change with V6 is that you can sort by remindertime in list view to get your reminders to the top of the list.  But that doesn't help with non-dated reminders. 

Don't really use the reminder drop down but on rare occasions, nor snippet or card view for that matter.  For my use case, I have saved searches for reminders, activated by PhaseExpress hotkeys.  Typically view is Side List (Ctrl-F8) with Left Panel closed (F10).  FWIW.

Share this post


Link to post

Many thanks, guys!

Sorry I get back to you only today...

I was able to make use of the search that csihiling suggested, it seems to work for me.

I am running the view set as Ctrl + F7, with a list of notes at the top, and the actual note below it. The list of notebooks on the left hand side is open all the time.

I have saved the view for quick reference.

 

This should do it, for now.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

You are welcome, glad it is working for you.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/3/2016 at 10:01 AM, csihilling said:

You need to be in Snippet or Card view on the desktop to see your reminders, they will appear at the top of the note list. Below is what it looks like in the current 6.1.2 version, snippet view with the left panel closed.

Or do a search for reminderorder:* -reminderdonetime:*.  This will return all notes with open reminders, dated or not. 

ScreenClip.png

 

 

That is so frustrating. It should be available in list view too. There should be a decent reminder function in Evernote, not the thing now where it does a great job setting reminders, and a great job and hiding them from you once they are set.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, EdH said:

That is so frustrating. It should be available in list view too. There should be a decent reminder function in Evernote, not the thing now where it does a great job setting reminders, and a great job and hiding them from you once they are set.

Yeah, I get it, native support would be better.  However, for me living in Side List view - Left Panel hidden, some saved searches in my shortcuts bar (Today and Late) plus some PhraseExpress hot key searches for Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Next 7 Days provide the focus and do the trick.  FWIW.

Share this post


Link to post

It is possible to see reminders in the Top and Side list views; it just has to be activated by right-clicking in the list's header line and selecting Reminder (and/or Reminder Time and Reminder Done). It's also possible to drag elements of the header left or right, so that Reminder could be positioned where it would be more easily visible in Side list view.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

It is possible to see reminders in the Top and Side list views; it just has to be activated by right-clicking in the list's header line and selecting Reminder (and/or Reminder Time and Reminder Done). It's also possible to drag elements of the header left or right, so that Reminder could be positioned where it would be more easily visible in Side list view.

Yeah, but then there;s the matter of sorting them to the top or bottom.  Not a biggie for sure, I just find the saved search a simpler process for me, YMMV.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

It is possible to see reminders in the Top and Side list views; it just has to be activated by right-clicking in the list's header line and selecting Reminder (and/or Reminder Time and Reminder Done). It's also possible to drag elements of the header left or right, so that Reminder could be positioned where it would be more easily visible in Side list view.

well spank me! THat is new. I've wanted that REMINDER column for years. I didn't know it was in 6. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, EdH said:

well spank me! THat is new. I've wanted that REMINDER column for years. I didn't know it was in 6. Thanks!

Great, glad it  helped! No spanking, though; I'm strictly nonviolent.:D

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

It is possible to see reminders in the Top and Side list views; it just has to be activated by right-clicking in the list's header line and selecting Reminder (and/or Reminder Time and Reminder Done). It's also possible to drag elements of the header left or right, so that Reminder could be positioned where it would be more easily visible in Side list view.

That's cool, and hopefully it will make its way to the Mac platform

I've always found it annoying that we couldn't see those "hidden" fields

Just wondering, can you also add   Subject Date   to the list.  The only way I can access it is by AppleScript 

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Just wondering, can you also add   Subject Date   to the list.  The only way I can access it is by AppleScript

Subject is one option, as are dates Created and Updated. I don't see Subject Date, not sure what it is.

Share this post


Link to post

"Subject" is kinda vestigial, as I recall. It's a date field that was a precursor to what it now Reminder or Reminder Time (which is what due dates turned out to be), I think. You can't edit it, as you can other date fields or really access it in any meaningful way. More information that might shed some light: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, jefito said:

"Subject" is kinda vestigial, as I recall. It's a date field that was a precursor to what it now Reminder or Reminder Time (which is what due dates turned out to be), I think. You can't edit it, as you can other date fields or really access it in any meaningful way. More information that might shed some light: 

I've been using Subject Date for years, however I'm only able to update/view it using a custom script (only on my Mac)

I'm happy to see the addition to the columns in list view.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I've been using Subject Date for years, however I'm only able to update/view it using a custom script (only on my Mac)

I'm happy to see the addition to the columns in list view.

Looks up -- sees "Windows Desktop Help / Reminders not shown in Windows Client?". Hmmm...

I think we can agree that they're not really fully baked, eh?

:) 

Share this post


Link to post
On July 1, 2016 at 4:22 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I don't see Subject Date, not sure what it is.

I had to dig way back for some sort of official explanation

it would still be usable to store an arbitrary date of your choosing, so if you wanted to store a particular historic date in that (and not use "due dates"), then you could continue to do so."

edited: @jefito provided the exact reference https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/96610-reminders-not-shown-in-windows-client/?do=findComment&comment=416533

 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi, 

I have Evernote 6.1.2 and I don't see reminders at all in Windows app.

Even if I create a new note, there is no reminder option.

I tried all your proposed methods but there is no reminders at all...

Share this post


Link to post
On 1.7.2016 at 10:52 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

It is possible to see reminders in the Top and Side list views; it just has to be activated by right-clicking in the list's header line and selecting Reminder (and/or Reminder Time and Reminder Done). It's also possible to drag elements of the header left or right, so that Reminder could be positioned where it would be more easily visible in Side list view.

Hi Dave-in-Decatur,

sorry for not answering.

This is the solution I've been looking for. Thanks for showing me.

Now I can get back to working with Evernote as I planned to :-)

 

 

Best regarsds

misy (running 6.1.2 on Windows client now)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Note that the "Reminder" selection is pretty useless as the dates and times are not what the user expects. Stick to the "Reminder Time" for accuracy. Honestly I am not sure what "Reminder" does as on many of my notes, the "reminder" predates the note creation and has no resemblance of the actual reminder time/date set.

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, EdH said:

Note that the "Reminder" selection is pretty useless as the dates and times are not what the user expects. Stick to the "Reminder Time" for accuracy. Honestly I am not sure what "Reminder" does as on many of my notes, the "reminder" predates the note creation and has no resemblance of the actual reminder time/date set.

Yeah, Reminder just seems to mean a reminder has been set, dated or otherwise.  I guess it could come in handy if one didn't set reminder dates, as long as one had -reminderdonetime:* somewhere in the search.

I think Reminder is the equivalent of reminderorder:* based on a quick analysis where notes with a date in the reminder column have the same note count as reminderorder:*.  All the Reminder dates are are either the same as or greater than create date in my case except for those that are a copy or duplicate of a note that had a reminder (where copy dates wasn't checked).  

Share this post


Link to post

I am having trouble getting my reminders list to show up.  I do not see the section at the top where it has the reminders, it's not even an empty list.  Upon further investigation, it looks like none of the reminder dates are populating at all.

I just got a new PC and had to reinstall the Evernote software.  All of the reminder dates still show up when I open the app in my phone.  I have tried opening the same note on both my PC and phone and the reminder dates are all in my phone and I can find those same notes on the PC version, they just have no reminder date at all.

 

Please assist.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/5/2018 at 11:47 AM, danielle9 said:

I am having trouble getting my reminders list to show up.  I do not see the section at the top where it has the reminders, it's not even an empty list.  Upon further investigation, it looks like none of the reminder dates are populating at all.

I just got a new PC and had to reinstall the Evernote software.  All of the reminder dates still show up when I open the app in my phone.  I have tried opening the same note on both my PC and phone and the reminder dates are all in my phone and I can find those same notes on the PC version, they just have no reminder date at all.

 

Please assist.  Thanks!

What view are you using? 

  1. If you go to top or side list view you can add Reminder Time as a column to see them. 
  2. You can also do a remindertime:* search to find all notes with reminder times set. 
  3. You can right click in the note tool bar area and customize the tool bar to show reminders.

ScreenClip.png.2fa0feb0cd2ba346549f7039f118f2b1.png

Share this post


Link to post

If you are not seeing a reminder date on a note in the windows client but there is a reminder date on the same note on your phone that sounds like a problem with the windows data base. You could confirm this by checking the note in the web client.

If you press Ctrl and Help in the Windows client you will get a number of troubleshooting options. I would try something like "Fix all notes" and see if that helps. I recently had to use the "Recreate full text search index" because EN was not finding a note I knew was there. Now it works. 

Share this post


Link to post

Truly, honestly, the most logical place for seeing/listing all the Reminders would be the "Left Panel" as separate Drop-down item (see attached image). I am 95% sure it was there at some point, but now I can not remember HOW to make that happen... I'm running version 6.11.2.7027 (307027) on Windows 10.

Is it a bug, my imagination or just incompetence? :D

 

//t

 

reminders.JPG

Share this post


Link to post

I don't remember that being an option in the past - I also hate the very ignorable "Reminders" at the top of the note list. I don't really use reminders at all but put a link to the note that I want to be reminded about as a task in my task manager (Todoist). This fits with my personal philosophy that all tasks are in Todoist and information is in Evernote. Would a shortcut to a saved search help? For example the search text:

reminderTime:day

will bring up all notes with a reminder set for today or later. You could at least arrange for that to be at the top of your shortcuts in the left hand pane. Other search options are here

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, tjsuominen said:

Truly, honestly, the most logical place for seeing/listing all the Reminders would be the "Left Panel" as separate Drop-down item (see attached image)....

reminders.JPG

Now that you mention this (I don't think it's ever been that way), this does seem like a good idea! You might want to go to the Windows Feedback forum and formally suggest it there.

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, tjsuominen said:

Truly, honestly, the most logical place for seeing/listing all the Reminders would be the "Left Panel" as separate Drop-down item (see attached image). I am 95% sure it was there at some point, but now I can not remember HOW to make that happen... I'm running version 6.11.2.7027 (307027) on Windows 10.

This has never existed as an option. They've always been available in certain note list types (like the superior Snippet View, but not in the list views) as a separate (and collapsible) list above the regular note snippets. I rely on this a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, jefito said:

like the superior Snippet View, but not in the list views

Hrmpf!  ?

Or one can create some saved searches and use the vastly superior side list view to display reminders in any of the available sort orders, and save the view if need be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Actually, now I remember where they are visible: In the mobile client :) Would still love them to work as I described.

But this (as many others) are a matter of personal taste.

//timo

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/1/2018 at 4:40 AM, Mike P said:

I also hate the very ignorable "Reminders" at the top of the note list. ... Would a shortcut to a saved search help?

I also don't use the Reminders section at the top of the note list.
I have a saved search that shows my current open reminders in the note list (superior top list view ?)
reminderOrder:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*

>>put a link to the note that I want to be reminded about as a task in my task manager (Todoist)

When appropriate, I put a link into my calendar/reminder utilities.  This gives me better  notification and repeating options.

I do my task management in Evernote; based on reminder date as Start Date

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, tjsuominen said:

Actually, now I remember where they are visible: In the mobile client :) Would still love them to work as I described.

But this (as many others) are a matter of personal taste.

//timo

 

We've been asking for a reminder view for years. Pretty much since Reminders got added as a feature. Instead, they are working on yet another note view that no one asked about. You cannot see it right now as it was so slow it got pulled for rework, but still, they are working on it. I'd rather have a single Reminder view. Not a saved custom search, not a particular type of list view you have to use and then scroll to the top to see it, but an honest to goodness REMINDER VIEW.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, EdH said:

We've been asking for a reminder view for years.

Ahhh, yes. I remember those heady days as if they were yesterday. Dave Engberg, Phil Libin, and other employees were so excited about the release of "Due Date" column. It could do almost anything, but at the last moment they decided to go with "reminders". Sigh!

Search Code 47ER92

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

Ahhh, yes. I remember those heady days as if they were yesterday. Dave Engberg, Phil Libin, and other employees were so excited about the release of "Due Date" column. It could do almost anything, but at the last moment they decided to go with "reminders". Sigh!

I remember them saying that they were going to do "Due Dates" in some unspecified manner, and even a "Due Date" field, and everyone read into that their own take on what they would be.  As it happened, they added reminders, pretty much as they exist today, and three reminder-related fields, including, yes, "Reminder Time". I'm not sure what the difference is between "Reminder Time" and what you were expecting. I have to say that I wasn't much interested in due date support at the time, but I found that what they did implement is useful to me. I use reminders, but never use the reminder fields.

To @EdH's actual comment, a separate reminder view would be nice, particularly for those folks who use the list views. I use snippet view (obviously), and reminders come along with it. That being said, I find the integrated reminder/note view handy, and I wouldn't want to lose that. 

Share this post


Link to post

I developed my own Evernote "Due Date" system several years ago. In my opinion, it is easier and more flexible than the "Reminder" system. And unlike the Reminder system, mine actually works in the Side List format.

I alter the Created Date and Time to reflect the expected date and time of the appointment/task and store it is my Future notebook. A quick glance with my saved shortcut shows me everything that is coming up.

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

I developed my own Evernote "Due Date" system several years ago. In my opinion, it is easier and more flexible than the "Reminder" system.

I alter the Created Date and Time to reflect the expected date and time of the appointment/task and store it is my Future notebook. A quick glance with my saved shortcut shows me everything that is coming up.

Sure, that's fine, but Created Date is important to me, and I'd rather use it for what it was intended to do, and Reminder Time for what it was intended to do. Reminders are actually pretty easy, and plenty flexible in my eyes. For me, a quick glance at the reminder list that's atop any notebook or other search result that contains reminders shows me everything related that's coming up, without needing to sort the actual note list.

But beyond that, it's good that we both have a way to figure out what's important...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

I alter the Created Date and Time to reflect the expected date and time of the appointment/task 

As per @jefito, I prefer to leave Created Date intact; however it's not essential.

Using the Reminder feature gives me four attributes; Reminder Indicator, Due Date, Completion Date/Status
I get an email notice of reminders coming due on the date
I get a notification at the reminder time.

I don't use the Reminder Section.  I rely on saved searches to produce a current task list.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I've been in this debate before. 

Some people believe the date and time a note is entered into Evernote is sacrosanct. It might be if I was a lawyer or a corporation. But I am just a normal user with lots and lots of notes.

I prefer to be more flexible and have it reflect what is important to me - the actual date and time of a meeting or task. The date I enter my dentist appointment is far less important than the actual date of my dentist appointment.

I will not use the reminder feature because it does not operate in the Side List format - which has an integral part of my Evernote system.
 

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

I've been in this debate before. 

Some people believe the date and time a note is entered into Evernote is sacrosanct. It might be if I was a lawyer or a corporation. But I am just a normal user with lots and lots of notes.

I prefer to be more flexible and have it reflect what is important to me - the actual date and time of a meeting or task. The date I enter my dentist appointment is far less important than the actual date of my dentist appointment.

I will not use the reminder feature because it does not operate in the Side List format - which has an integral part of my Evernote system.
 

The dates provide context to me. Knowing a note was created June 2017 provides a very different context for that note than one that has an artificially changed date to June 2018.

I get why you use them the way you do, but for those of us that use our notes outside of a corporate or legal environment, accurate dates are still critical.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I've changed Create dates, mostly for historical stuff I scanned to keep things in order or when I've missed something and downloaded at a later date and want it in order.  Other than that they are what they are, the created date.

Relative to reminders, a reminder view would be fine, though not sure what would be different from a saved search/saved view using any of the reminder fields, Windows anyway.  Could use some insight there.  IOS has a reminder view of sorts, but it is lacking to me since you can't parse the list, its all or nothing.  Also you can't sort by reminder on IOS in a note list.

The reminder time field can be used in whatever context one wants, including due date for me.  With the addition of saved views some time back it got simple.  Create whatever date searches you want, modify the vastly superior side list view to show/sort by reminder time, save the searches and the views, and voila.  Works for me anyway.  ?

 

ScreenClip.png.5efdb0a79a1927b3c5b8284862bf125a.png

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, CalS said:

I've changed Create dates, mostly for historical stuff I scanned to keep things in order or when I've missed something and downloaded at a later date and want it in order.

Yup. I do that too. For me creation date is the date the document was created, not 2-3 days later or 2-3 weeks later if I was lazy in scanning it in. For tax items always adjust it to the exact day, but for other things I may let it slide.

under no circumstances though will I change it just to work around the horrible reminder situation that exists today.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks. Your comments support my position. The Created Date is not locked in stone.

It can be adjusted for a variety of reasons (tax, history, receipts, timeline, reality) to suit each user's needs.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

It can be adjusted for a variety of reasons (tax, history, receipts, timeline, reality) to suit each user's needs.

Subject Date; For receipts and statements, my standard is to prefix the note title with the subject date
    yyyy/mm/dd <subject> <description> $-n.nn

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, DTLow said:

Subject Date; For receipts and statements, my standard is to prefix the note title with the subject date
    yyyy/mm/dd <subject> <description> $-n.nn

I use that format for the title of all of my tasks, appointments, receipts, bills.  It makes searching much more powerful.

when - where - what - who

yyyy mm dd - state & town - subject - person 

2018 06 09 - ME Scarborough - Cabela's fly fishing - DLB & WPB

Share this post


Link to post

My method for receipts is to scan them, not change the note title, tag them with _YYYY and Receipt, and let search do the work.  Laziness I suppose....  For statements I title the note Company Name - YYYY.MM.DD and tag with CompanyName and Statement.   FWIW.

Share this post


Link to post

I take laziness one step futher and just tag with Receipt.  That and some key words and I'm usually able to dig out what I was looking for.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, s2sailor said:

I take laziness one step futher and just tag with Receipt.  That and some key words and I'm usually able to dig out what I was looking for.

I found I couldn't trust the date in the receipts, sometimes yy, sometimes yyyy, different delimiters and formats.  So since I bulk scan the things easy enough to mass add the year tag.  Horses for courses of course.  ?  So maybe I'm not as lazy as I thought I was.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, s2sailor said:

I take laziness one step futher and just tag with Receipt.  That and some key words and I'm usually able to dig out what I was looking for.

I am definitely on the lazy end of the spectrum. If I can narrow the list down to 7 or so notes with text or tag search, then I can pick it out by eye (perfect for snippet view, btw). I prefer to retain created dates as they were, but I also prefer not to need to use them most of the time...

Share this post


Link to post

I'll typically just type in the store name, hopefully found in the pdf scan by OCR, and then add the receipt tag.  I've been stymied a few times requiring more effort but this usually works for me.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/5/2018 at 9:17 AM, EdH said:

work around the horrible reminder situation that exists today.

Just wondering about the "horrible reminder situation"

Is this a Windows thing, or a general comment?

I never bought into the Reminders hype.  I'm well covered for reminders/calendar (Apple), and use the Evernote feature for the due/done dates.

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Just wondering about the "horrible reminder situation"

Is this a Windows thing, or a general comment?

I never bought into the Reminders hype.  I'm well covered for reminders/calendar (Apple), and use the Evernote feature for the due/done dates.

General comment. You cannot easily see your reminders in Windows or Mac client. iOS has a "Reminders View" which is nice, but for some reason, they are just buried in other views on the desktops assuming you are configured for list view.

And when they go off, on Windows you get a 3 second pop-up toast in your tool bar. If you aren't there to see it, you miss it. There is nothing in the Evernote UI to tell you you have an unanswered reminder. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...