Inline pdf default setting

I prefer most of my pdfs to be shown as attachments but in some cases I'd like it to show inline, but with this setting I can't do it easily.

Always show pdf documents inline ON means I have to individually set each pdf to 'show as attachment', this is tedious when placing many pdfs into a note, and especially so as they go full width and can't be resized. Also goes against the very wording of the setting "always"!

Always show pdf documents inline OFF means pdfs are always an attachment and can't be changed at all as the option is greyed out, therefore not flexible.

Can we change this behaviour so the option is a 'default option' rather than a forced option so...

Show pdf documents inline by default ON means any new pdf will be shown inline by default and can be right clicked and changed to 'show as attachment'

Show pdf documents inline by default OFF means any new pdf will be shown as an attachment by default and can be right clicked and changed to deselect 'show as attachment'

This would make far more sense and give users the option to do either as they prefer.

• 2 weeks later...

I would definitely agree with some more flexibility here. Since the last update I am finding that the "PDF as attachment" feature is broken.

In the settings, I have " Always show pdf documents inline OFF ", but when I add a new PDF, it is shown inline. I have to switch inline to on, exit, then switch it back off again to show the new PDF as an attachment.

I work with a lot of notes containing text mixed with numerous PDFs, so this is a frustrating problem for me. Please help.

• Level 5*

Hi.  My 'PDF as attachment' options work fine - a right-click toggles from inline to icon and back,  and my default is 'always show inline' which is easily changed.  If you drag and drop files,  holding the shift key down while dragging will cause the file to show as an attachment,  regardless of the default.

If your experience is different,  it may be that your copy of Evernote is corrupted in some way.  You may want to consider uninstalling and reinstalling it for starters..

• Level 5

What I find is that if Always show PDF documents inline is set ON, then there is a selectable option in the right-click menu for PDFs "View as Attachment." If Always show PDF documents inline is set OFF, then all PDFs show as attachments, and there is no way to select that right-click option and show them inline.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Mine's set to ON to show attachments inline,  and I do select to switch that off in individual cases.  If it doesn't work in reverse,  then that looks like a bug,  but it's an easy workaround - just set your option to On.

• Level 5
On 6/13/2016 at 4:22 AM, DavidB818 said:

I would definitely agree with some more flexibility here. Since the last update I am finding that the "PDF as attachment" feature is broken.

In the settings, I have " Always show pdf documents inline OFF ", but when I add a new PDF, it is shown inline. I have to switch inline to on, exit, then switch it back off again to show the new PDF as an attachment.

I work with a lot of notes containing text mixed with numerous PDFs, so this is a frustrating problem for me. Please help.

This issue is fixed and will be available in 6.2.

• Level 5
On 6/20/2016 at 3:42 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

What I find is that if Always show PDF documents inline is set ON, then there is a selectable option in the right-click menu for PDFs "View as Attachment." If Always show PDF documents inline is set OFF, then all PDFs show as attachments, and there is no way to select that right-click option and show them inline.

Yes, this seems inconsistent at best. We'll look into it.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, emerick said:

Yes, this seems inconsistent at best. We'll look into it.

I'll add my voice to the chorus asking for this to be sorted ASAP, please.

• 3 weeks later...

I am on version 6.1.2, Windows 7.  

"Always show PDF documents inline" is unchecked.  

When I drag and drop a PDF, it is shown inline.  (This was not the behavior I experienced some time ago,  leading me to believe this behavior was introduced in an update.)

When I right click the PDF, the "View as Attachment" box is checked and grayed out.    

I do want all of my PDFs as attachments.  Do I need to change another setting, or is this a bug?

EDIT: When I go into options and check "Always show PDF documents inline" then say OK, they are appear inline.  When I then go back and uncheck the box, the attachments revert to attachment form as desired.

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

• Level 5
On 7/14/2016 at 3:08 PM, WHL said:

I am on version 6.1.2, Windows 7.  

"Always show PDF documents inline" is unchecked.  

When I drag and drop a PDF, it is shown inline.  (This was not the behavior I experienced some time ago,  leading me to believe this behavior was introduced in an update.)

When I right click the PDF, the "View as Attachment" box is checked and grayed out.    

I do want all of my PDFs as attachments.  Do I need to change another setting, or is this a bug?

Yes, it's a bug. It's fixed in 6.2 (see above), available soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Please fix soon, it is terribly frustrating to have to go through a 5 clicks process convert every pdf I import.  This is the last time I will update to a new version without testing it first.   I tried holding the shift key down when dragging files in, doesn't work.

How soon can we expect 6.2?

• 2 months later...
On 6/20/2016 at 0:42 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Hi Dave,

Can you please tell me, where did you find a toggle switch "Always show PDF documents inline"?  I'm using the identical version of EN for PC and do not see such a switch in the Options tab for Note.  In that panel, I only see "Always show PDF documents as attachments."  It's currently unchecked.  Yet not all of my notes containing PDFs display the PDF online.  Some do and some just show an icon for the PDF.  It appears that, whenever they don't display, I can select 'display inline' in the note by right-clicking the PDF icon.  But there appears to be no way in Options to make the default "Always show PDF documents inline."  The only time I have seen that phrase in an options panel was in an older version of EN for PC, as illustrated here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/39862-stop-displaying-pdf-contents-in-note/?do=findComment&comment=355035   Please advise, thanks.

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, IncrediMetaBeta said:

Can you please tell me, where did you find a toggle switch "Always show PDF documents inline"?

In the newest Windows version you accomplish this by not checking Always show PDF documents as attachments

ScreenClip.png

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, IncrediMetaBeta said:

Thanks for your reply.  Regrettably, this option setting when left unchecked does not show PDF documents inline.

This is probably one of those options that only works if you shut down Evernote (File / Exit) and then restart it. At least I'd try that first...

• Level 5*
On 10/18/2016 at 8:30 PM, IncrediMetaBeta said:

Thanks for your reply.  Regrettably, this option setting when left unchecked does not show PDF documents inline.

You are welcome.  Did it work after a File - Exit per @jefito?

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, IncrediMetaBeta said:

No, I tried that, too.

Weird.  All I know is with the options per the above screen shot the first page of the PDF is displayed as expected.  As a test, I changed the option and PDFs were displayed as an icon, without a File - Exit even.  Changed the option back and the first page was there again.

Not sure what happens when PDFs are added to EN with the setting set to "as attachments" if they just stay that way.  Other than that perhaps time for a trouble ticket.  And to be clear, inline means only the first page.  You have to use the backwards/forwards arrows or open the PDF in a stand alone reader to see pages other than the first.

• Ex Employees
2 hours ago, csihilling said:

And to be clear, inline means only the first page.  You have to use the backwards/forwards arrows or open the PDF in a stand alone reader to see pages other than the first.

Good call. 

@IncrediMetaBeta After you uncheck the "Always show PDF as attachments icon", select file>exit, and reopen Evernote,  are you seeing just the first page of the PDF, or no PDF pages? 

Thanks everyone.  EN for Windows now seems to show PDFs for all notes.  I went through the following steps or something close to them.

1. I  toggled the "Always show PDF as attachments icon" off and closed Options and EN.
  2. I then reopened EN and toggled the "Always show PDF as attachments icon" on then closed Options and EN; 
  3. I then reopened EN and toggled the "Always show PDF as attachments icon" off.

EN then showed PDFs inline for about 8 notes I reviewed, each of which contained a PDF.  What I saw was the first page of the PDF.  Placing the cursor at the top of the inline PDF, a menu popped up that allowed me to click an arrow to go to subsequent pages of the PDF.

Earlier, before repeatedly toggling that setting in Options, I found that some notes did show the PDF inline and some did not.  Now it seems they all show. Perhaps my "toggling" made EN "straighten up and fly right."  Dunno.

So, now that I can see the PDF inline, what could be preventing me from highlighting text in the PDF?  

I've tried using the "highlight" icon in the toolbar with no success.

Hi 'gazumped'.  Thanks for your description.  I'm very puzzled about highlighting text.  Per your suggestion, by clicking on the "@" sign, I brought up the note window with the "annotate PDF" toolbar appearing vertically on the left of the window.  From the Tools menu at the top of that window, I selected "highlighter."  I did not expect the cursor to be the "+-sign."  I assumed I'd get a text selection cursor (the vertical I-bar).   The "+-sign" cursor works OK but the evenness of highlighting depends on how true your mouse-holding hand can use the cursor to draw a line through the text.  I'm not good, so the line is messy.  Perhaps I'm not  selecting the right tool?  I experimented a bit with other choices but found that only the "line" cursor goes dependably straight through a row of text.  However, the line thickness is not wide enought to cover the text and its width seems not to be adjustable.  Is there someway to highlight text with a text-selection cursor?

• Level 5*

I did say it was the 'short version'.  The link I posted included some examples of what's possible with the tools you can see...see below.  it's not a full-blown editor for images or document files - there are other tools around that will do this.  For a quick commentary note on the content however...

markup-images.jpg

markup-pdfs.jpg

Archived