Evernote for Mac v6.7 Released (Official Thread)

EvernoteAlex

Idea

Hi all,

I’m pleased to announce the release of Evernote for Mac v6.7!

The team did a great job delivering this release. Please reply to this post and let us know how you like it! And if you find an issue, please let us know in a reply to this post.

You can download the new version here or from within the app.

New:
• The switcher (Command-J), which allows you to switch effortlessly between your notes and notebooks, now also works for tags!
• Also improved is the switcher’s matching algorithm, which now recognizes possible misspelled searches.

Fixed:
• Fixed several issues that were causing crashes.
• Made improvements to sync performance.
• Fixed an issue that prevented users from being able to accurately crop high-DPI images.
• Fixed an issue that caused certain PDFs to display improperly after being annotated.
• Fixed an issue that occasionally rendered links as plain text. 
• Enhanced the accuracy of business card scans via ScanSnap Evernote Edition scanners. 
• Fixed an issue with “copy note link” functionality that sometimes prevented users from opening the links.
• Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented business tags from displaying.

Cheers,
Alex

49 replies to this idea

20 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

I am curious. Why are you frequently merging so many notes into a single note?

I find Evernote's search capability to be more efficient when I avoid merging and maintain small individual notes.

Partially because the Webclipper is incapable of appending.  At the beginning, I keep the original notes as well, but to begin a project that incorporates them I typically merge them in an order that constructs the narrative train of thought I'm trying to follow--it gives me a more visual outline of what I'm trying to accomplish.  The only time the current merge situation works without finagling is when I'm trying to make a daily log of my activities and I haven't already come back to edit/correct any of the notes I've already accomplished something on.

To give an example of a merging complication I've had; I've been learning leatherwork in my spare time.  There are many step-by-step tutorials for creating, say, a briefcase, but I don't have the intention of creating the exact same briefcase as another.  In this situation, I have many clips representing various steps, but they're ordered in my notebook by order of discovery of the source material, not order in which the steps are to be performed.  I want to make myself a guide to making my own briefcase, so I look at all those clips and I merge them into a singular note to look over and make sure the process makes sense.  At that point, I no longer need the individual notes--the project, as far as evernote is concerned, is complete and the smaller notes only complicate any future searches.

There are other workflows out there that I could adapt to, but the workflow I have works fine outside of this software suite not supporting it on this particular OS configuration.  If I'm "doing it wrong," why is it not only possible but a feature on a different OS with the same software suite?  This isn't a new feature to Windows, mind you, it's been there for at least a year--it's a sign that the Mac app is given much lower priority than Windows as opposed to a sign that it's not how Evernote is intended to be used.  

21 hours ago, Robins said:

With the updated version 6.7.1, I am now constantly reminded via a banner at the top of the app to upgrade to the latest version.  If you click on the "Update" button, the App Store is opened up only to show me that I am already at the latest version.  Enter loop here...

Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 9.49.13 AM.png

@Robins I guess you probably mix two Evernote Mac App together. Evernote has two different Mac App version. Either you install it from app store, or remove it and install from evernote site.

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, jenhsun said:

@Robins I guess you probably mix two Evernote Mac App together. Evernote has two different Mac App version. Either you install it from app store, or remove it and install from evernote site.

@Robins I'm not sure how you can do this (have two different versions installed) but agree that installing the direct download will resolve the issue.  Your local database will be rebuilt automatically, except for local notebooks.

I've just upgraded to 6.7.1 and am running into a new bug where whenever I double-click a checkbox, it automatically triggers Presentation Mode. As it is, I've always found Presentation Mode to be a useless annoyance, now I'm having to deal with this constantly =(

I have been looking on the Evernote site for the better part of an hour to try to find help for an issue I've had, suddenly. Finding this thread, I realize that with the update to the new version, my Evernote broke. I have a note with a lot of Pages docs on my Mac, and after I selected that note to try to open one of the docs, it stopped working for me in the app interface. I've reinstalled it twice and restarted my computer. I suspect that these files need moved out of Evernote, but I can't get to that point. Help?!?!

• Level 5*
On June 20, 2016 at 6:31 AM, Sarah Reinhard said:

I have been looking on the Evernote site for the better part of an hour to try to find help for an issue I've had, suddenly. Finding this thread, I realize that with the update to the new version, my Evernote broke. I have a note with a lot of Pages docs on my Mac, and after I selected that note to try to open one of the docs, it stopped working for me in the app interface. I've reinstalled it twice and restarted my computer. I suspect that these files need moved out of Evernote, but I can't get to that point. Help?!?!

Not sure how you're trying to open the attachments
Have you tried right clicking and getting this menu, the trying the Open or Open With

Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 8.07.27 AM.png

On 6/19/2016 at 7:13 PM, Saven said:

I've just upgraded to 6.7.1 and am running into a new bug where whenever I double-click a checkbox, it automatically triggers Presentation Mode. As it is, I've always found Presentation Mode to be a useless annoyance, now I'm having to deal with this constantly =(

I have the same problem, and it's driving me crazy. With a trackpad it's easy to accidentally double-click, especially when you're trying to click in that little box to check it. There's always a slight delay between clicking the box and seeing the check-mark appear (sometimes it's a full second) so the natural reaction is to click again because you think you missed the box the first time. As a result I end up double-clicking more often than single-clicking, so basically almost every time I check a checkbox I have to stop and watch Presentation Mode open, then close it. PLEASE FIX THAT! 

On 6/13/2016 at 2:32 PM, JMichaelTX said:

BUG REPORT:  ESC During Tag Assign Creates New Tag
Evernote 6.7.1 (453574) on OSX 10.11.4

Steps to Reproduce:
  1. Click into Tag Assign Block in a Note
  2. Start typing with characters of existing Tag
  3. Observe how EN auto-fill overrides case of characters
  4. Press ESC to stop auto-fill
  5. Press ESC again to cancel tag assignment
  6. Observe how new tag is created and assigned to Note.

Animated GIF Showing Bug

EN-Mac-6.7.1-Tag_Assign-Bug-AN.gif

Thanks for reporting the issue.  For tags, we use Apple's native token autocomplete, which unfortunately overwrites format when you attempt to create a new tag that is similar to an existing tag.

As workarounds for this issue, you can create a tag in Application Menu > View > Tags, or you can type the tag in the editor and copy-paste it into the Tag field of a note.

Thanks,

Alex

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, EvernoteAlex said:

For tags, we use Apple's native token autocomplete, which unfortunately overwrites format when you attempt to create a new tag that is similar to an existing tag.

As workarounds for this issue, you can create a tag in Application Menu > View > Tags, or you can type the tag in the editor and copy-paste it into the Tag field of a note.

Thanks for the reply, Alex.

Unfortunately, your proposed workarounds are really practical.  It would obviously take a huge amount more time to enter tags using your method.

Maybe you guys should consider writing your own autocomplete since Apple's doesn't work.  There are several good JavaScript models available, that you could use as a model.  What model do the EN Win developers use?  How about porting that to the Mac?

While you can blame the autocomplete on Apple, I think Evernote owns the bug that causes a new tag to be created in error.

On 6/10/2016 at 0:24 AM, mwlodarski said:

The last changed note is always the first in the merged note.

The workaround is: make changes to notes in reverse order.

I usually add and delete a dot in note title to make the note I want first be the last modified one.

It requires some minimum thinking but works.

It works, but I'm often merging 30+ items into one note.  It's a real pain for a feature they've already implemented in Windows.

• Level 5
20 minutes ago, Psook said:

I'm often merging 30+ items into one note.

I am curious. Why are you frequently merging so many notes into a single note?

I find Evernote's search capability to be more efficient when I avoid merging and maintain small individual notes.

With the updated version 6.7.1, I am now constantly reminded via a banner at the top of the app to upgrade to the latest version.  If you click on the "Update" button, the App Store is opened up only to show me that I am already at the latest version.  Enter loop here...

Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 9.49.13 AM.png

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Psook said:

Partially because the Webclipper is incapable of appending.  

Have you considered leaving the clipping notes as they are and working with a master Table of Contents note

• Level 5
22 minutes ago, Psook said:

If I'm "doing it wrong," why is it not only possible but a feature on a different OS with the same software suite?

Thank you for the explanation. Evernote has a variety of methods to accomplish projects.  Why different features? From what I have read, there are different teams for different OS. Each team tries to move forward with improvements, but not wait for other OS teams to match them. But I am just a user and don't have any inside information.  Thanks again for the explanation.

• Level 5*
53 minutes ago, Psook said:

To give an example of a merging complication I've had; I've been learning leatherwork in my spare time.  There are many step-by-step tutorials for creating, say, a briefcase, but I don't have the intention of creating the exact same briefcase as another.  In this situation, I have many clips representing various steps, but they're ordered in my notebook by order of discovery of the source material, not order in which the steps are to be performed.  I want to make myself a guide to making my own briefcase, so I look at all those clips and I merge them into a singular note to look over and make sure the process makes sense.

Each of us have our own preferences, and if yours is to have a single, long note, then that's fine.

For me, I'd much rather have a master note, a TOC note, which lists/links-to the various steps (notes) in the order I want.  

• I can then open each note in it's own window for detailed reading/review.  
  • I can have a checkbox for each step, denoting when I have completed that step.
  • This also makes it simpler if I need to go back and reread a certain step/section.  
  • It also makes it easier to print only one step/section, if I need to do that.
  • I can also make it "pinned" to the top of my note list using a reminder without a date.

Finally, the merge notes result is a mess.  The divider between notes is terrible.

Unfortunately the design still sucks. Now I am being told I must upgrade in order to continue to use Evernote on all 3 of my devices (only 2 allowed with the free version). On principle, I refuse to pay until the design improves. I love the functionality of Evernote but the design is so bad it makes me angry. Clearly people who work in the bland gray world of cubicle land designed this thing. Evernote, let in some color! Let in some life!

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, MountainGirl22 said:

Unfortunately the design still sucks. Now I am being told I must upgrade in order to continue to use Evernote on all 3 of my devices (only 2 allowed with the free version). On principle, I refuse to pay until the design improves. I love the functionality of Evernote but the design is so bad it makes me angry. Clearly people who work in the bland gray world of cubicle land designed this thing. Evernote, let in some color! Let in some life!

Do you Basic Account users intend to contaminate every discussion with your device limit issue?

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Do you Basic Account users intend to contaminate every discussion with your device limit issue?

Oops -- looks like you missed my point entirely! I don't really care about the device limit issue. But I do care about the crappy design! We Basic Account users are so annoying, aren't we? I'm so glad you took the time out to point that out. ;-)

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, MountainGirl22 said:

Oops -- looks like you missed my point entirely! I don't really care about the device limit issue. But I do care about the crappy design! We Basic Account users are so annoying, aren't we? I'm so glad you took the time out to point that out. ;-)

This discussion is for feedback on the software release

There is another discussion for the device limit issue (changes-to-evernote’s-pricing-plans)
As @sangadi has pointed out: This is the thread to Vent anger about the price increase. 
                                                  This is the thread to complain about the plans 
                                                  This is the thread to show your dis satisfaction about reduction in features

If you have suggestions on design elements, you should create your own discussion.

The anoyance from Basic Account users is not part of this discussion.  
What I pointed out was that you contaminated your post

• Level 5*
On 7/7/2016 at 0:10 AM, DTLow said:

If you have suggestions on design elements, you should create your own discussion.

@DTLow:  Who hired you to be the forum cop?  You are causing more distractions than you are allegedly trying to stop.

There is nothing wrong with her comment in this thread:

On 7/6/2016 at 10:17 PM, MountainGirl22 said:

Unfortunately the design still sucks

@MountainGirl22 is simply stating that after the new release, the UI design still has issues.  That is a comment on the current release.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

@DTLow:  Who hired you to be the forum cop?  You are causing more distractions than you are allegedly trying to stop.

There is nothing wrong with her comment in this thread:

@MountainGirl22 is simply stating that after the new release, the UI design still has issues.  That is a comment on the current release.

No appointments; we're all users here

I'm sure @MountainGirl22 has valid comments on the recent price/feature changes, and was pointing out that there was a discussion already in existence for that.

I'd like to hear more about @MountainGirl22's design suggestions.  I just feel that a separate discussion would be better than adding them to this thread.
Thank you for the opportunity to restate that.

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Then I'd suggest that you should have just asked that, ...

I did ask her to post her ideas, and also suggested she post them in a new discussion

And quoting from a previous post

"Who hired you to be the forum cop?  You are causing more distractions than you are allegedly trying to stop."

Hi All,

I see messages fm people working on Evernote for MacOS 6.7xx, but where can I download this. Evernote download location only gives 6.1xxx which I already have.  Am I missing something? or when can I really get it?

I my understanding Rel 6.7 comes after 6.1....  right?

Thnx

Frank

On 2.06.2016 at 10:14 PM, Psook said:

Is there a point where we will be able to decide the order of merging note on Mac?  Every update comes and goes and still, we can't append a new note to an old one.  That's ridiculous.

The last changed note is always the first in the merged note.

The workaround is: make changes to notes in reverse order.

I usually add and delete a dot in note title to make the note I want first be the last modified one.

It requires some minimum thinking but works.

Is there a point where we will be able to decide the order of merging note on Mac?  Every update comes and goes and still, we can't append a new note to an old one.  That's ridiculous.

Greats - finally sync it works again behind authenticated proxy server! Thanks a log for fixing this bug!

And I will repeat my endless wish: Please embed a font with czech characters support in the presentation mode. There are some characters missing (just) in title's font. See att.

Kremik

Screen Shot 2016-06-03 at 00.28.50.png

The cmd+J switcher is by far the best feature to be added to Evernote in a long while! It made using Evernote so much faster for me. Good job!

Next, make appending to an existing note via the web clipper a thing please! ?

22 hours ago, worldshift said:

Since I installed 6.7 for Mac it now takes TEN MINUTES to sync one note of 4.6kb to the desktop!!!

During this time one cannot access notes, add notes, delete notes etc.

THIS IS TOTALLY UNWORKABLE!!!!!

I'm not having this issue. Try restarting your machine or reinstalling Evernote.

Hi I'm a new user.  I don't see a place to check for updates without redownloading from the mac app store.  looked all over, googled, etc.  sorry for the basic question.  I'm on version 6.1.1

19 hours ago, mjb_sf said:

Hi I'm a new user.  I don't see a place to check for updates without redownloading from the mac app store.  looked all over, googled, etc.  sorry for the basic question.  I'm on version 6.1.1

Welcome aboard!

If you downloaded your copy from the Mac App Store, then you'd get updates from the Mac App Store's "Updates" tab.

Napkin 2 06-06-16, 3.07.11 PM.png

Now, even though it's improving, all updates need to be vetted by Apple's App Store team. That means a delay from when the updates are made available from Evernote and when they'll show up in the Mac App Store.

If you want to sidestep Apple's process and download the updates directly, head to https://evernote.com/download/

Then, once Evernote pushes out an update it will notify you inside of the app. I hope that helps! Let me know if I can be of additional assistance.

• Level 5*
On 6/2/2016 at 1:00 PM, macfixer said:

The speed increase is very noticeable from b1 to the public release, speaking as someone with 2000+ animated GIFs in a notebook.

You have no idea how relieved I am to hear I'm not the only one with a large GIF collection in Evernote... :lol:

I love that tags are now included in the Cmd+J switcher! It would be AMAZING if saved searches could pop up there as well. I have two saved searches I use to filter through notes for work. Right now, I have them easily accessible in shortcuts, but it would be so much more convenient if saved searches were also included in the switcher.

1 hour ago, theinspired615 said:

I love that tags are now included in the Cmd+J switcher! It would be AMAZING if saved searches could pop up there as well. I have two saved searches I use to filter through notes for work. Right now, I have them easily accessible in shortcuts, but it would be so much more convenient if saved searches were also included in the switcher.

+1 Totally agree!

@JMichael Thank you so much. I only have 5 notebooks, but inside these notebooks' notes total is about 95718. Thank you for let me know its limitation.

I already file a support ticket you suggestion. Thanks again. 

On 6/3/2016 at 2:34 PM, worldshift said:

Since I installed 6.7 for Mac it now takes TEN MINUTES to sync one note of 4.6kb to the desktop!!!

On second thought, I think I might be experiencing a similar issue. It sometimes takes several minutes to sync even small notes.

• Level 5*

The tag autofiller really messes up text when trying to create a new tag from within a note. I try to type "Delta Dental" and the first D is always forced to lowercase because I don't have any tags currently that start with a capital D, only lowercase ones. Everything else seems to work fine. But, then when I try to type "DELTA DENTAL" with the caps lock key on, the "DE" of "DELTA" becomes "de" so I end up with "deLTA DENTAL" because I have a tag that starts with "de."

Gah!

152az.gif

• Level 5*

Has the ability to uncheck all checked boxes in a note disappeared from EN Mac? I use it a lot in Windows, but could have sworn it used to be here... but when I right click in a note, I have no option to do so. Really missing it!

On 6/11/2016 at 2:45 PM, chirmer said:

The tag autofiller really messes up text when trying to create a new tag from within a note. I try to type "Delta Dental" and the first D is always forced to lowercase because I don't have any tags currently that start with a capital D, only lowercase ones. Everything else seems to work fine. But, then when I try to type "DELTA DENTAL" with the caps lock key on, the "DE" of "DELTA" becomes "de" so I end up with "deLTA DENTAL" because I have a tag that starts with "de."

Gah!

152az.gif

This is why I gave up on tags :(

• Level 5*
On 6/11/2016 at 1:45 PM, chirmer said:

This is a bug or design flaw that definitely needs to be fixed ASAP.

EN Win has already made an update which allows the user to use tag inheritance in searching/filters, so I'd expect it soon in EN Mac.
This makes the use of tags much more powerful.

There used to be a workaround by pressing ESC, but now, instead removing the tag auto-fill, it causes the characters typed so far to be used to create a new tag, and assign to the Note!  This is horrible, counter-intuitive UI!  ESC is almost always used to cancel the current operation/activity.  Now Evernote has turned it into an "accept" command, like RETURN or TAB.

(Just tested in Evernote 6.7.1 (453574) on OSX 10.11.4)

@Evernote, @EvernoteAlex:

This is a HUGE bug, that needs fixing ASAP.

• Level 5*

BUG REPORT:  ESC During Tag Assign Creates New Tag
Evernote 6.7.1 (453574) on OSX 10.11.4

Steps to Reproduce:
  1. Click into Tag Assign Block in a Note
  2. Start typing with characters of existing Tag
  3. Observe how EN auto-fill overrides case of characters
  4. Press ESC to stop auto-fill
  5. Press ESC again to cancel tag assignment
  6. Observe how new tag is created and assigned to Note.

Animated GIF Showing Bug

EN-Mac-6.7.1-Tag_Assign-Bug-AN.gif

On 03/06/2016 at 10:34 PM, worldshift said:

Yes, the Mac app has become extremely slow at syncing notes, adding tags and moving notes to notebooks. It used to do this in real time - now it takes ages. I have to switch to other tasks and come back to it. This is ruining Evernote for me - I use it fairly heavily and while new features are nice, SPEED and RELIABILITY are paramount!

UPDATE: I re-downloaded and reinstalled the Evernote program (Mac) and still having a problem where I can't view the content of notes (they show up BLANK) while a sync is in progress (which can take some time)

15 hours ago, Spongey said:

Yes, the Mac app has become extremely slow at syncing notes, adding tags and moving notes to notebooks. It used to do this in real time - now it takes ages. I have to switch to other tasks and come back to it. This is ruining Evernote for me - I use it fairly heavily and while new features are nice, SPEED and RELIABILITY are paramount!

UPDATE: I re-downloaded and reinstalled the Evernote program (Mac) and still having a problem where I can't view the content of notes (they show up BLANK) while a sync is in progress (which can take some time)

I have the same problem too. When I check the log, I always see something like below error message:

Exception when fetching sync state TTransportException: Error loading HTTP request
  userInfo = {
    error = "Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1001 \"The request timed out.\" UserInfo={NSUnderlyingError=0x7ffaf5543ca0 {Error Domain=kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork Code=-1001 \"The request timed out.\" UserInfo={NSErrorFailingURLStringKey=https://www.evernote.com/shard/s20/notestore, NSErrorFailingURLKey=https://www.evernote.com/shard/s20/notestore, _kCFStreamErrorCodeKey=-2102 _kCFStreamErrorDomainKey=4, NSLocalizedDescription=The request timed out.}},

Then again, again and again.

Honeslty, the biggest problem on current Evernote App is its performance issue which people on the net always complained about. I believe the one, or the only solution is from the other thread of this forum people were talking about "the selectively sync". That means let user select a limited of data for local, and the rest is in the cloud. That's it. Never ever let local machine to handle all and huge data and doing reindexing calculation. It's because when doing Big Data, the calculation will be paused when PC or notebook went to sleep.

The Request is here:
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/91052-please-please-please-support-selectively-sync-notebooks/

I have a least 95000+ notes. It looked like 150GB size or so. Recently I have to reinstall MacOS, so I remove everything. After I reinstall Evernote app and doing sync, the app just went crazy. I know it has to reindex, I know. But it has been a week and the app is still use 100% CPU for "I don't know what the hell" things. Because of that, I have to switch to Web-based Evernote site for my notes.

If Evernote App is doing selective sync, we can just limit it to a degree of size. ex, the newest top 100 notes. I can then keep working on my newest note in the app without worry about my local machine freeze, and my old notes missing. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jenhsun said:

I have a least 95000+ notes. It looked like 150GB size or so. Recently I have to reinstall MacOS, so I remove everything. After I reinstall Evernote app and doing sync, the app just went crazy. I know it has to reindex, I know. But it has been a week and the app is still use 100% CPU for "I don't know what the hell" things. Because of that, I have to switch to Web-based Evernote site for my notes

If you have not already done so, please submit an EN Bug Report for this. (I would call making EN Mac unusable for a week a bug, but it could be a design flaw).
Your account size (95,000+ notes) is by far the largest I have seen reported.  Evernote advertises support for up to 100,000 notes.  It is good that they have a real-world case where the account is approaching this limit.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue", "Payment/Billing Issue", and  "Log in issues".

Archived