Is Penultimate being left to die?

lewiecat

Idea

It seems to me that up until a few months ago, there was steady revolution, progress, updates, bug fixes, and forum traffic about Penultimate, most or all of which has suddenly stopped.  In light of refocusing efforts by EN, I often wonder if Penultimate has been completely or largely abandoned.  

Personally, I have been forced to abandon Penultimate because of at least one bug (not returning to last page written), and have been spooked by EN integration where I deleted a notebook full of EN notes from within Penultimate.  

I realize this isn't a powerful threat if EN abandoned me before I abandoned Penultimate, but if so, I will find it very disappointing since I am a user that has been around since almost the birth of both products.

4 replies to this idea

I agree with you on that one. I take a lot of handwritten notes and Penultimate is the only reason that I was actually using Evernote for note taking and not just as a dump for all my stuff. It seems to me that they have just scrapped this awesome app, and if they don't prove otherwise I am jumping over to Notability or Onenote for handwritten notes full-time. Its a shame cause I wanted Evernote to be much more than what it is right now as far as handwritten notes are concerned.

But I guess since nobody from the Evernote/Penultimate team is listening to our concerns, our complaining doesn't mean anything.

I share exactly the same concerns as stated above. I do see wider value in EN beyond Penultimate but need to be confident that my note taking app will integrate effectively into EN without any need to pull the notes up into the EN.

Think it's time to start exploring the alternatives.

Agreed on all points. I journal every day with PenUltimate on my iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil. I also use it for letters and note taking when I meet with clients. While I cope with the issue related to it not returning to the last page/place, I'm concerned that this app won't be supported in the future, especially since I use it multiple hours in a day.  Thanks for speaking up about this everyone.

• Level 5*

I don't know what happened, but I am pretty sure the original developer left Evernote a while back (along with a bunch of other developers / staff), and things have seemed to have slowed down since then. They didn't kill it off like many of their other independent apps, and it was updated relatively recently to support the Apple Pencil, so I'd say it is still alive.

Archived