Webclipper for Brave browser

kilolo

Idea

74 replies to this idea

On 5/21/2018 at 8:38 PM, tassiecelt said:

Clearly neither Evernote nor Brave have the inclination of providing a web clipper. Is it because Brave will not track your every movement? Is such a browser a threat to Evernote? I’m struggling to understand the long delay. Not happy Jan.

Good questions. Evernote integration desperately needed and until it is we cannot use Brave. More people to Brave as it is clear that Mozilla (most surprisingly being an open source project) is manifesting the same "culture" now as Google. Brave can capitalise on this but it needs to be fully fledged

• Like 2
On 5/21/2018 at 8:38 PM, tassiecelt said:

Clearly neither Evernote nor Brave have the inclination of providing a web clipper. Is it because Brave will not track your every movement? Is such a browser a threat to Evernote? I’m struggling to understand the long delay. Not happy Jan.

Good questions. Evernote integration desperately needed and until it is we cannot use Brave. More people to Brave as it is clear that Mozilla (most surprisingly being an open source project) is manifesting the same "culture" now as Google. Brave can capitalise on this but it needs to be fully fledged

Maybe I'm missing something but I'm perplexed by all these posts, especially those urging Evernote to create a Clipper implementation for Brave.

(Maybe it's because most of these posts are old?)

Under the current Dev Build (BRAVE) there should, as far as I know, be no problem installing the Clipper because it thinks it's installing in Chrome. 

Or is there something about the Clipper that makes it different from other browser extensions? 

• Like 1
On 5/25/2016 at 4:05 PM, kilolo said:

Hi there, @evernotehelps suggested I post this here –

I've recently begun to use the Brave browser (https://www.brave.com/) and so far think it's pretty great. On Safari I'm a big fan of the webclipper and would love to see it implemented for Brave as well. Any chance that might happen soon?

At the moment we do not have any plans to rollout a new web extension for the Brave browser, however, I will talk with my team about this as possibly something for the future. Thanks for your feedback.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

The Brave browser on Windows 10 is fantastic. Super quick, ad free. It's totally the future.

It already has plugins for 1Password and other apps... please create an app for Evernote clipping. 

Love what you guys do!

• Like 1

I wonder how serious evernote can be about webclipper for Brave, surely this is not a hard task for evernote. What possible reason could there be for the delay. Heck, we are paying enough money each year for Evernote. Better support on this would be welcomed.

• Like 1

I support this as well.  I have switched most of my tasks from Safari and Firefox over to Brave.  Brave is great for quickly browsing through help forums, blogs, and other generally slow pages owing to lots of ads.  But I still have to re-open URLs from Brave in Firefox so I can clip them.  This is inconvenient.   

• Like 1

I fully second your idea! However, as a workaround, I recently found www.ukeeper.com. There you can create a Bookmarklet (or save the resulting Javascript Code to a new bookmark in Brave browser) to have sent from Brave directly to your mailbox a clutterfree version of any website. From there I use the MailButler plugin for Mac Mail to save the message as Evernote (but you could also simply forward it to your Evernote mail adress, with tags and all the rest).

• Like 1

Brave is a browser that blocks any tracking and protects privacy as we all know who use it.

Frankly, the slowness or reluctance on the part if Evernote to provide a web clipper makes me wonder if they are more concerned about tracking us and less about privacy.

Maybe it's just that Evernote doesn't listen to users who dearly now to use it?

it certainly raises questions in my mind.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

If you were to clip something with Brave how would the tracking be any different than if you used Chrome or FF, from an EN perspective?  Web page put in the note would be the same in either case?

• Like 1

One more vote here. It seems likely that recent political events will increase interest in privacy all round (not just VPNs). Brave works really, really well, and as more people try it, it will get bigger.  As people switch browsers, let's hope they don't also switch to one of Evernote's burgeoning alternatives! The web clipper is pretty crucial part of Evernote....

• Like 1

Sadly many don't know of the benefits of Brave, some may not want to know, but when evernote is essential to life and Brave is the best browser for security and speed, I am BAFFLED at Evernote's reluctance to make a webclipper a priority. 

Is there something going on, some roadblock, that I don't know about?

• Like 1

Evernote is my digital brain and it's a must for my research to continue with the necessary speed and accuracy on Brave.  Brave is the future of browsing.  It's built on the blockchain, which is the platform of the future and it protects the user rather than the advertiser.  Please, please please see the wisdom in this investment for development.  

• Like 1

Webclipper is an essential tool for keeping with workflow, Brave has the ability to give credit to content from users with cryptocurrency, ether and there might be a way Evernote could see benefits in aligning themselves with this technology. 

Please create a webclipper for Brave, Thank you.  

• Like 1
On 19/10/2017 at 6:18 AM, xgironx@yahoo.com said:

i so want to give up on Evernote ...

for this, Brave, omission ...

insult to the injury that is the forever lack of Edit/Replace ...

if only MS OneNote had Tagging, I'd be there

of course sure would be nice to tell a feel-good story to colleagues & fambly about Evernote responsiveness to client

I’ve been looking hard at Apple Notes for iOS. It’s getting closer to an Evernote replacement. It’s lacks some features, but it lacks the cost of Evernote also.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, tassiecelt said:

I’ve given up on Evernote ever implementing this, I mean, how hard can it be?? Maybe they don’t really value our need for secure and private browsing.

You can always use a VPN if you want to protect yourself.

I just discovered the Brave web browser not too long ago. I think it's great and I've made it my primary browser on Windows and Linux. As a paying Evernote customer I'd sure like to have the web clipper for Brave.  

On 5/26/2016 at 5:05 AM, kilolo said:

I've recently begun to use the Brave browser (https://www.brave.com/) and so far think it's pretty great. On Safari I'm a big fan of the webclipper and would love to see it implemented for Brave as well. Any chance that might happen soon?

so .... now 2 years later... any response from evernote and  a webclipper in sight???  
Evernote team .. how many votes is enough ... your users need this!!  come on ... I am waitning now for over a year... 

Workaround to perfectly use Chrome Evernote Webclipper Extension in Brave (probably works with other extensions too, have testet it e.g. with Mercury Extension):

1. Download Google Chrome (or Opera Browser with "Install Chrome Extensions" enabled)
  2. Install Evernote Webclipper Extension from Chrome Webstore
  3. Go to Chrome/Opera Extension folder on your PC
  4. Go to folder "pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc" (Evernote Webclipper Extension) and identify last version folder of EWE
  5. In Brave preferences, enable an extension you do not plan to use otherwise (e.g. "Honey" or "Pocket"...)
  6. On your PC, go to the Brave Extension folder
  7. Identify the folder corresponding to "Honey" or "Pocket" (or some other extension you plan to substitute)
  8. Find last version folder of extension (e.g. "10.7.2"), and rename it (e.g. "10.7.2_old")
  9. Copy and paste the version folder from 4) into the extension folder from 7) and rename it exactly as the original extension folder (e.g. "10.7.2")
  10. Exit and restart Brave > et Voilà!

Note1: It's possible you don't see any icon where it should be (right upper corner in Brave). Don't worry, it's there, but for some reason it's invisible

Note2: Every time the Brave extension you are "usurpating" gets an update, you need to redo all these steps. Enjoy!

• Like 1

I've been almost always using Brave for a month on any device I have (iOS/iPhone/iPad, Mac, and Android smartphone) and I only stopped using it when I needed to webclip to Evernote. Please create a easy to use Evernote webclipper for Brave browser.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, tassiecelt said:

I’m struggling to understand the long delay. Not happy Jan.

Evernote needs to be convinced this is a worthwhile project: Development work costs money, and takes resources from other projects.

Of course your happiness is important, but will this work translate into a financial return for Evernote?

On 5/26/2016 at 5:05 AM, kilolo said:

Evernote suggest to post here... and has been for over 2 years ... and we waiting for a little stupid plugin ... i am done with evernote ... 100 useless features and a simple extension cant be produced .... WAKE UP ENteam!!!

Since the extension works out of the box, it is so difficult to fix normal installer!  There is no need have a separate port from chromium extension. 

Maybe we paying customer just need to spam they support until it becomes cheaper to do it that to keep answering :ph34r:

On 5/7/2018 at 11:43 AM, Thomas Gögele said:

Workaround to perfectly use Chrome Evernote Webclipper Extension in Brave (probably works with other extensions too, have testet it e.g. with Mercury Extension):

1. Download Google Chrome (or Opera Browser with "Install Chrome Extensions" enabled)
  2. Install Evernote Webclipper Extension from Chrome Webstore
  3. Go to Chrome/Opera Extension folder on your PC
  4. Go to folder "pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc" (Evernote Webclipper Extension) and identify last version folder of EWE
  5. In Brave preferences, enable an extension you do not plan to use otherwise (e.g. "Honey" or "Pocket"...)
  6. On your PC, go to the Brave Extension folder
  7. Identify the folder corresponding to "Honey" or "Pocket" (or some other extension you plan to substitute)
  8. Find last version folder of extension (e.g. "10.7.2"), and rename it (e.g. "10.7.2_old")
  9. Copy and paste the version folder from 4) into the extension folder from 7) and rename it exactly as the original extension folder (e.g. "10.7.2")
  10. Exit and restart Brave > et Voilà!

Note1: It's possible you don't see any icon where it should be (right upper corner in Brave). Don't worry, it's there, but for some reason it's invisible

Note2: Every time the Brave extension you are "usurpating" gets an update, you need to redo all these steps. Enjoy!

• Level 5*
On 5/7/2018 at 4:43 AM, Thomas Gögele said:

I gave this process a go and I do get Evernote on the extensions page.  I do get an icon, though it is just a light gray box, Evernote is displayed when I hover over it.  However, nothing happens when I click on the icon.  Has the process changed in the last six months?  Thanks.

• Level 5*
On 10/4/2018 at 4:32 AM, Thomas Gögele said:
Since in Brave Dev you can load every Chrome extension you want (although not everything works perfectly, but many extensions do work), I'm using it and would recommend it too: https://brave.com/download-dev/. You're welcome :)

Thanks.  One small issue - I found I had to go to Settings and Allow all cookies to have Clipper work.  May be specific to my configuration of things, don't know.  But other than that everything seems to work fine.. 

ScreenClip.png.f07f2de7a7963749de522fd8759c1032.png

Side note, Brave is very fast ans does not have the visual noise of other browsers..FWIW.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, NightBirds777 said:

SAME! Need a fully supported extension with Brave. I deleted Chrome and am never going back.

You don't even need to develop an entirely new one, you should be able to just add some items to the existing Chrome one to ensure it works flawlessly on BOTH.

It DOES work, somewhat. But there are many things that do not and it's highly annoying.

Clipper works with current version of Brave.  

How to get Evernote Webclipper in Brave browser, (with better than nothing functionality).

1. From the Brave browser, go to https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/evernote-web-clipper/pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc
  2. Install/Add to Chrome (upper right corner)
  3. Restart Brave and reload page if already opened.
  4. Highlight the article to clip.  (I tried to clip the whole page and got a blank page in Evernote, but some web pages are like that in Firefox as well).
  5.  Click on Evernote icon - to the right of the address bar.

Important update: I got this working for exactly one time.  Then I logged into Evernote and had Evernote remember my login and password.  Then Evernote Web Clipper quit working.  It would flash a brief message about cookies followed by another message:

"Evernote Web Clipper uses cookies to identify your account. Check your browser setting to make sure third-party cookies are accepted from Evernote."

The Brave browser settings were already set to "Accept all cookies".

1. I then went to Brave-Settings-Clear Browsing Data-Time Range-All Time:  and after I checked everything; cleared everything. 
  2. I then went to Brave-Settings-Site Settings-Cookies-Allow: and added [*.]evernote.com to the list of allowed sites for cookies 

This once again got Evernote Web Clipper to work.  This time it even worked on clipping the 'Article' instead of just highlighted text.

• Like 1
On 5/16/2019 at 3:23 PM, GordR said:

How to get Evernote Webclipper in Brave browser, (with better than nothing functionality).

1. From the Brave browser, go to https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/evernote-web-clipper/pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc
  2. Install/Add to Chrome (upper right corner)
  3. Restart Brave and reload page if already opened.
  4. Highlight the article to clip.  (I tried to clip the whole page and got a blank page in Evernote, but some web pages are like that in Firefox as well).
  5.  Click on Evernote icon - to the right of the address bar.

Important update: I got this working for exactly one time.  Then I logged into Evernote and had Evernote remember my login and password.  Then Evernote Web Clipper quit working.  It would flash a brief message about cookies followed by another message:

"Evernote Web Clipper uses cookies to identify your account. Check your browser setting to make sure third-party cookies are accepted from Evernote."

The Brave browser settings were already set to "Accept all cookies".

1. I then went to Brave-Settings-Clear Browsing Data-Time Range-All Time:  and after I checked everything; cleared everything. 
  2. I then went to Brave-Settings-Site Settings-Cookies-Allow: and added [*.]evernote.com to the list of allowed sites for cookies 

This once again got Evernote Web Clipper to work.  This time it even worked on clipping the 'Article' instead of just highlighted text.

This worked for me on March 13, 2021 with Brave Version 1.20.110 Chromium: 88.0.4324.192 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Win 10
Settings, Privacy and Security, Cookies and Other Site Data:
- Block all 3rd party cookies can be turned off and set to Allow all cookies
- Or, block 3rd party, but add an exception:  [*.]evernote.com
  • Like 1