Surface Book & Pen Functionality

lrainaldi

Idea

I would love to see the Windows Client have functionality to work with the Surface Book/ Surface and the Pen. The "Windows App" is really not that great but I use the full Windows client all the time and would love to be able to use the pen like you can with OneNote. I have changed my Surface Book to open Evernote instead of One Note with the click of the eraser already.

19 replies to this idea

Seconded Re: arnholdsan's post about continuing to develop handwriting functionality.

It would be helpful if Evernote for Surface Pro 4 supported pen and gesture input, similarly to OneNote and Nebo.

From an Assistive Technology point of view, the ability to recognize and digitize handwriting is paramount, as is the ability to create a single note with multiple input methods to provide usability for people with physical computer access disabilities.

I'm using the handwriting function with my Surface Pro 4 and Surface Pen and it is great! Okay, there is only a yellow ruled background, but you can (!) enlarge the writing space.

You can do so by simply scribbling at the end of the page and the scrollbar will move upwards so you can scroll down further! This is great for using it as a digital bullet journal and note-taking system! But of course, Evernote should keep evolving the handwriting functionalities!

You can use the handwriting -> text input in a standard note, but it doesn't allow for things like drawing, sub- or super-script etc.  I find for quick notes, text-based things it works okay but leaves a lot to be desired.

On 5/25/2016 at 6:11 PM, gustavgi said:

Sure it can be used, but you are limited to both the yellow lined paper & the screen estate, as you can't scroll without a mouse.

Hopefully touch scrolling everywhere in the client, as well as solid inking features are features planned for the not so distant future..

I once got the yellow lined paper to scroll.  (I did!  I really did!)  But I don't know how I did it and can't get it to happen again. Perhaps I was just dreaming, or the functionality is just not robust, which would be unusual for Evernote.  And I don't mind the lined paper, but then again I am a lawyer.  There really should be alternatives.

I completely agree with all that is being written here.  Evernote has a brilliant opportunity to really make use of the Surface Pro functionality.  Not all Surface users are OneNote devotees.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Phi87 said:

So this would be a big help to me as I'm an avid evernote user.   I'm on a Surface Pro 3. This screen doesn't seem to exist.   When you say to open the app, do you mean the desktop app or the touch app?   

I believe this is for the SP4 pen only, and after Win10 anniversary update they moved the settings to Pen & Windows Ink settings in All settings

On 6/17/2016 at 11:29 AM, lrainaldi said:

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Open the Surface app on your SurfaceBook and select the edit button on the left menu bar. From there you can scroll down and customize the pen. You will have to navigate to the Evernote.exe. See the screen shot below. I wanted to also change the double clip to use skitch but haven't got it to work.

ScreenClip.png

So this would be a big help to me as I'm an avid evernote user.   I'm on a Surface Pro 3. This screen doesn't seem to exist.   When you say to open the app, do you mean the desktop app or the touch app?   

On 26.5.2016 at 0:11 AM, gustavgi said:

Sure it can be used, but you are limited to both the yellow lined paper & the screen estate, as you can't scroll without a mouse.

Hopefully touch scrolling everywhere in the client, as well as solid inking features are features planned for the not so distant future..

I would like to see similar pen functions as on my Samsung Note. I really like to add small handwritten parts in a existing note and edit it later.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Open the Surface app on your SurfaceBook and select the edit button on the left menu bar. From there you can scroll down and customize the pen. You will have to navigate to the Evernote.exe. See the screen shot below. I wanted to also change the double clip to use skitch but haven't got it to work.

ScreenClip.png

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Tee1 said:

For the Surface Pro 4 In Evernote, File>New Note>???  There are no other options.  Do I need an additional app or upgraded Evernote for the "New Ink Note" option?

Weird. There should be 5 options. Right click the toolbar and chose customize and add the "new note" button with the down arrow on the right. Does this work when you click the arrow?

On 5/25/2016 at 2:07 PM, Austin G said:

You can use your Surface Pen with Ink Notes. To create a new Ink Note select: File>New Note> New Ink Note

For the Surface Pro 4 In Evernote, File>New Note>???  There are no other options.  Do I need an additional app or upgraded Evernote for the "New Ink Note" option?

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Jonahlyn said:

I completely agree! This is an essential feature that would make using evernote on my surface so much easier. 

@lrainaldi How did you change your surface to open evernote instead of one note with the eraser?

You change pen functions in the Surface app.

On 5/25/2016 at 4:11 PM, gustavgi said:

touch scrolling everywhere in the client

I completely agree! This is an essential feature that would make using evernote on my surface so much easier. 

@lrainaldi How did you change your surface to open evernote instead of one note with the eraser?

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, Austin G said:

You can use your Surface Pen with Ink Notes. To create a new Ink Note select: File>New Note> New Ink Note

Archived