New Evernote for Windows, v6.1 Beta 1

• Level 5
Thank you all for the great feedback we received on V6 release. The team has made many improvements and fixes based on this feedback and we're excited to release another update!

You can download Evernote for Windows 6.1 Beta 1 here.

Here are the changes to look out for in this release:

New:

• Quick Search (Beta)
    • Effortlessly switch between notebooks, tags and searches. Just hit Ctrl + Q from anywhere in the app to give it a try.
    • Get notebooks, tags, and search queries suggestions as you type.
    • (Evernote Business) Switch to specific notebooks and tags across your Personal and Business content even faster.

Improved:

• Tag view is back! Use this view to easily filter, edit and organize your tags.
  • Show and edit note dates directly from the note editor.
  • Take snapshots and insert them directly into your notes.

Fixed:

• Some images were only shown as attachments. They are now consistently rendered inline.
  • Audio recordings are now saved when navigating away from the note.
  • Ink note shape recognition is now fixed.

We hope you enjoy the update and look forward to your feedback!

http://cdn1.evernote.com/win6/prerelease/Evernote_6.1.0.2113.exe

• Level 5*

Just installed it and I immediately see some very nice improvements!

I'm just writing this post as early as possible because I believe that a Confirm dialog box should be implemented for "Unassign from All notes" when right clicking a tag. Those types of actions, when it's no way to undo, should have 0 exposure to an action due to a mis-click because of the huge risk for data loss.

• Level 5*

There is a bug in the new Ctrl+Q search (great function by the way), as it doesn't recognize some international letters that are otherwize recognized in tag/notebook jump list. In the latter searches, characters like å ä ö are recognized as an "a", which gives appropriate search results.

It would also be nice if Ctrl+Q would switch with Win+Shift+F search, so that one could search notes/notebooks/tags outside EN, like in v5.

Regarding the new tag view, the new design is a great improvement. But searching in this view is still unusable for me, as EN hangs for minutes when trying to filter the results. I would have prefered to have the very quick jump list search here as well, but that jumps to that tag in tag view.

• Level 5*

Only one of the created/updated dates at a time displays?  I suppose the thinking is you can see created in snippet/list area and show updated in the note header area?  

Ctrl-Q is a definite improvement, though in the old days one could just click in the search bar and see the recent searches, which was nice and intuitive.  For the greedy among us who sometimes have hands on keyboard, sometimes on mouse.  ;) 

Also, context does not get reset should you select two Ctrl-Q saved searches in succession.  First one resets search context just fine, the second adds search parameters to the first.  It would seem to me a Ctrl-Q and select a saved search should reset context each time?

ShowAssistedSearch registry entry is very nice, thanks.  Stops the bouncing screen.  :)

• Level 5
6 hours ago, csihilling said:

Only one of the created/updated dates at a time displays?  I suppose the thinking is you can see created in snippet/list area and show updated in the note header area?

If you have both dates in the note info, you have to add labels qualifying which is which... and this already busy area becomes unbearable.

Ctrl-Q is a definite improvement, though in the old days one could just click in the search bar and see the recent searches, which was nice and intuitive.  For the greedy among us who sometimes have hands on keyboard, sometimes on mouse.

Way too many people were confused with amount of flicker caused by the search box popup and note list being updated at the same time.

Also, context does not get reset should you select two Ctrl-Q saved searches in succession.  First one resets search context just fine, the second adds search parameters to the first.  It would seem to me a Ctrl-Q and select a saved search should reset context each time?

Fixed. Thank you for reporting!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, kvitekp said:

If you have both dates in the note info, you have to add labels qualifying which is which... and this already busy area becomes unbearable.

Unbearable, interesting word choice.  :).  Someone may tell you a date floating in space is unbearable, eye of the beholder.  Not me, I'm good.

1 hour ago, kvitekp said:

Way too many people were confused with amount of flicker caused by the search box popup and note list being updated at the same time.

Okay, though when one clicked in the search bar in the past the only thing that happened was a display of recent searches and saved searches, no particular flicker if my memory serves until you started keying if you hadn't lengthened the search as you type delay.  Anyway, recent searches return to the fold is a great fix whatever the form, thanks.

• Level 5*

@kvitekp I just have to say that I am immensely greatful that the old 'jump to tag' feature is lurking in the registry! This is truly a game changer for me.

I also see that you made some improvements, in the way that the Shortcuts are now actual shortcuts to the notebook/tag. I believe this is awesome, but some other users might mind if they use shortcuts to quickly jump between different notes etc.

You better keep this whole function an option, but I guess you already have that in mind as a part of the new upcoming options menu. 

Hi,

just to say hello to all of you :)

I am only just starting off with Evernote in a more serious way. 1xWin7 and 2xWin10 64Bit, 10Win10 Tablet 32Bit 

Evernote is my rescue for leaving my personal filing mess behind for all times.

So the better this already fantastic software gets, the more we can all benefit from your phenomenal efforts at Evernote.

Eager enough to learn as I go along, including tutorials, I see no hindrance against joining the group of Beta users.

Cannot make any valuable contribution other than letting you have crash reports or direct input should I spot something strange.

Best regards

John 

• Level 5*

Are there any plans to add back the functionality where you can delete tags from a note with the keyboard (backspace key) instead of having to use the mouse to "X" them off?

On 5/18/2016 at 10:43 PM, kvitekp said:

Fixed:

• Some images were only shown as attachments. They are now consistently rendered inline.

I will report back if this seems to fix this issue (I think it it one and the same, not sure):

Will report back on the search features; that is the one thing I did really miss from before.

3 minutes ago, eafpres said:

Will report back on the search features; that is the one thing I did really miss from before.

OK, loaded new beta.  ctrl-Q is nice.  I would like it in the options to define a different hot key.  Ctrl-Q is used by a number of apps including MS Word, so if you accidentally hit it in the wrong window, might be a problem.

As far as usability, I think it should show you the scope.  When you are in the native search bar, it is clear what notebook(s) you are acting upon.  Not clear with the popup.

• Level 5*

Since v6 I have now a couple of times accidentally hit the x on a tag in a note, when aiming for the arrow on the right to search. Is it possible to make the space between tags just marginally wider to prevent this annoying issue. It's a hassle to find out which tag is gone when there is no undo..

Archived