Nesting Multiple Notebooks / Creating Sub-Notebooks

cswsteve

Idea

8 minutes ago, denysoft said:

Yes, I understand what you are saying, but as a standard in the use of interfaces, when working with hierarchical structures, we are used to the use of folders and subfolders at different levels of the information hierarchy. Almost all competing Evernote apps have it built in. Thank you.

@denysoft, Evernote has been refusing to implement this feature for over a decade.  Apparently they sell enough software into their niche that they don't care about attracting a wider user base.  We are wasting out time even asking, as the response from EN zealots is always the same: a workaround using tags.  I continue to subscribe to this thread just in case lightning strikes, but without hierarchical folders EN will continue, for me, to be just a handy place for web clips.

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, denysoft said:

we are used to the use of folders and subfolders at different levels of the information hierarchy

Evernote has no support for "folders and subfolders"    
We are provided Notebooks and Tags    
and can emulate folders with the notebook/tag tree structures

Wistfully checking again (my bi-annual check) to see if hierarchical structure is yet supported by Evernote. It seems you're either a Tag kind of person or a Hierarchy type but not both.

I'd be a premium customer in a flash if it gave me the option. Just asking your paying customers what they want doesn't always work. Ask Blackberry (nee RIM), as just one example

16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Not supported, and since it would mean to rebuild everything from scratch, I doubt it will happen.

Why would you assume it requires rebuilding everything from scratch? 

On 8/17/2008 at 6:37 PM, engberg said:

We don't have sub-notebooks, but you can organize tags into a hierarchy. This may allow you to set up the organizational scheme you're looking for.

Not really the same thing. I use Paperless software on a Mac. It uses a hierarchical structure and also allows me to place a file into multiple folders if I choose. It's a very different experience than using hierarchical tags. I would use Paperless in a flash on other devices except there's no iOS version. I keep hoping for a good alternative. Unfortunately, Evernote isn't it, even though I've explore it several times (including trying out hierarchical tags).

I said earlier: it seems you're either a hierarchy person or a tag person ☹️

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, HarveyBeck said:

Why would you assume it requires rebuilding everything from scratch? 

Adding a notebook hierarchy requires    
- a database update (notebook parent field)   
- update of the software

A significant undertaking, but not "from scratch"   
Evernote has already experience this process when they added the notebook stack field   

>>it seems you're either a hierarchy person or a tag person 

I'm a tagger    
I also make use of the hierarchy installed in the tag feature

Evernote has designed Tags as the primary organization tool; and Notebooks for other purposes

• Level 5

The Paperless software looks more like a real DMS, so they put managing documents into the focus. Mac only, no iOS. It reminds me a little of DEVONthink, which is sort of in between. If it serves your needs, go with it.

EN uses tags to organize information in a flexible, multi-dimensional und if wanted hierarchical way, and that is it. Everybody’s darling is everybody’s fool - if you don’t like the way it is working, use another tool.