cswsteve

Idea

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

I think Evernote is a fantastic product, especially with the iPhone integration. I currently use a program called UltraRecall because of it's heavy use of subfolders. This makes organizing my data ve

I don't understand why after almost 10 years this has not been implemented yet. Also, I don't understand why workarounds such as tags are considered a good solution. Is it that complicated to add

To all Guru's that keep saying the same thing about being able to do the same thing with tag. This maybe so but is not the point.  Clearly for at least the last 9 Years people have been asking fo

Posted Images

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, xbliss said:

MS One Note has started to encroach upon EverNotes strong areas, it would make sense for them to do so as well. Competition means improvement both sides. 

Evernote is constantly (in their view at least) improving,  but such a change seems like it would need them to throw away a lot of their current multi-OS multi-platform code,  and probably revamp their server farms too.  They'd need a very strong incentive to consider such a fundamental architecture change.

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, gazumped said:

but such a change seems like it would need them to throw away a lot of their current multi-OS multi-platform code,  and probably revamp their server farms too.

How would you know this?  Are you an Evernote employee, or do you have access to Evernote design documents?

If you have done any real programming, you should know it is pointless to guess about someone else's code, particularly putting your guesses (but stated as if you have real knowledge) in a way that could easily mislead those less informed.  I see no point, no value in it.

Why don't we just leave it up to Evernote to comment (if they choose to do so) on the difficulty and/or incentive to make any change.

• Level 5*
On August 4, 2016 at 4:35 PM, gazumped said:

Evernote is constantly (in their view at least) improving,  but such a change seems like it would need them to throw away a lot of their current multi-OS multi-platform code,  and probably revamp their server farms too.  They'd need a very strong incentive to consider such a fundamental architecture change.

My thinking is that it could be implemented by adding a parent field to the notebook record, the same way they did the tag hierarchy.

Not a complicated change, but they would have to change the database and UI on all platforms.  
I'm still waiting for a view of tag hierarchy on my iPad.

There's also an argument along the lines of a Local notebook having child notebooks that are Syncd.

I would LOVE to see at least one more level of nesting added as well.

I understand how tags work completely. They do not suite my needs. They are not as prominently featured in the side navigation. There are many valid reasons as discussed here why they do not suite all users.

Does anyone understand Evernote's current reason for only supporting 2-level deep nesting?

• Level 5*
On 8/8/2016 at 4:14 PM, J Henry said:

I would LOVE to see at least one more level of nesting added as well.

I understand how tags work completely. They do not suite my needs. They are not as prominently featured in the side navigation. There are many valid reasons as discussed here why they do not suite all users.

Does anyone understand Evernote's current reason for only supporting 2-level deep nesting?

I'm guessing that that's just the organizational system that they want to provide, as being more flexible than strict hierarchies (it's also very similar to the folder/label organization GMail uses). Stacks provide limited nesting; it's more of a grouping feature than an expression of any kind of real hierarchy.

I wouldn't expect full hierarchies to appear in Evernote any time soon; they might, but they might not, and in general, basing your tool choice on expectations rather than actual realities is usually a bad idea.

How is it that a thread created in 2008 with 34 pages of responses has yet to actually be acted on by Evernote? It's one my biggest frustrations that I'm limited in the number of folders I can categorize with. Tags are great for linking between notebooks, but they are definitely not notebooks themselves. For instance, I should have a folder with something like:

Research
   Book Highlights
      Book Title 1
      Book Title 2
      Book Title 3
   Personal Thoughts
   Definitions
   Webclippings
      Political
      Scientific

Personal
   Notes
      Christmas Presents
      House Projects
  Statements
      Bank

Work . . . [you get the idea]

And then my tags become useful as a way of connecting all of the notes together. This way, I'm not forced to have a massive list of stacks to choose from when I'm trying to find that on document or note. Ooooo we should call the next hierarchy "Bookshelf"! In my example, "Research" is one bookshelf with "Book Highlights" as a stack, "Book Title 1" as a notebook, etc.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Matthew Wimer said:

It's one my biggest frustrations that I'm limited in the number of folders I can categorize with. Tags are great for linking between notebooks, but they are definitely not notebooks themselves. For instance, I should have a folder with something like

Yes, another complaint is that Evernote doesn't use a folder methodology, but that's another topic

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, JMichaelTX said:

Although Evernote does not have an entity named "folder", I think most of us understand that when some person says "folder(s)" they usually mean "notebook(s)".

That may be true, but as I said Evernote doesn't use a folder methodology,
I'm
referring to folder
                            > sub-folder
                                      > sub-sub-folder

People will be disappointed if they equate folders and notebooks.  In addition to the hierarchy issue, notebooks serve a different purpose.

My impression is tha people are using the wrong product if they require a folder structure, although it can be emulated with tags.

• Level 5*

Hi. As you can tell this is a slightly emotive topic.  You are completely right in that adding an hierarchical structure to the database wouldn't prevent those who prefer tags or titles (that's me) continuing to use the bits of Evernote that they find most useful and ignoring the rest.  (Isn't that always the way..;))

These topics - and this argument discussion is just a replay of several preceding l-o-n-g threads around here - tend to spin off from newer users starting from "how can any self-respecting note-taking software not have a folder hierarchy?"

To which the answer is.  Along with a bunch of other decisions about note size,  upload limits,  search grammar and color schemes,  Evernote decided to build their app the way it is.  If you'd like to use it now,  get used to tags.  Tags can be your friend because....(see previous discussion).

It is perfectly reasonable to want nestable notebooks.  However, in 8 years of arguments,  Evernote have not commented (AFAIK) or demonstrated one way or the other any prospect of this ever happening.  That said,  they worked on a 'common editor' project for a couple of years before mentioning it to users (Macs are just getting this now).  Maybe the nestable folders idea is coming,  or maybe it's not.

Evernote don't (usually) comment publically on any development one way or the other.

If you'd like to vote for folders,  please go ahead - you never know...

• Like 2
On 8/17/2008 at 3:19 PM, cswsteve said:

I think Evernote is a fantastic product, especially with the iPhone integration. :) I currently use a program called UltraRecall because of it's heavy use of subfolders. This makes organizing my data very logical. I was wondering if Evernotes has a way to create subnotebooks under existing notebooks to help group numerious notebooks together?

Example Notebooks:

Work

Clients

Customer1

Customer2

Customer3

Customer4

Personal

Electronics

Web Clips

The Evernote Business has this feature. They call it the "Notebook Stack"

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Aurora A. said:

I think all platforms/accounts have Notebook Stacks

However this discussion has evolved into requests for unlimited levels, similar to the tag hierarchy.

Alternatively, there are requests for Evernote to add folders and a folder hierarchy.

• Level 5*
55 minutes ago, Aurora A. said:

This is available on all platforms, as DTLow notes. This is not, however, a subfolder system; this is just a way to collect notebooks together. A true subfolder system would allow you to put notes into a stack, but that's not allowed here.

It is disappointing that the request for nesting notebooks has not been implemented after such a long period of time with so many requests. I appreciate the comments concerning the use of tags, etc., but there are many of us who would prefer to have nested notebooks nonetheless. People have different means of organizing and managing their work and the absence of this feature sets limitations for those of us who have long used folder structures as a foundational element of our practice. As I am not willing to take the time to tag every item entered I have either had to create voluminous numbers of folders or limit my use of EVERNOTE. Neither of these makes me more productive.

Please consider this long-standing request for a valuable improvement to EVERNOTE.   Thanks.

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, Tom Brewer said:

there are many of us who would prefer to have nested notebooks nonetheless. People have different means of organizing and managing their work and the absence of this feature sets limitations for those of us who have long used folder structures as a foundational element of our practice.

Please indicate your support for nested notebooks using the voting buttons in the upper left corner.

For sure, people have different methods of organization.
I happen to like the tag methodology.  I would not chose to use a product that doesn't support tags
I'm wondering: Why are you using Evernote if you need a folder structure?

>>As I am not willing to take the time to tag every item entered

But you are willing to take the time to search through a folder structure to file every item entered

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Please indicate your support for nested notebooks using the voting buttons in the upper left corner.

For sure, people have different methods of organization.
I happen to like the tag methodology.  I would not chose to use a product that doesn't support tags
I'm wondering: Why are you using Evernote if you need a folder structure?

>>As I am not willing to take the time to tag every item entered

But you are willing to take the time to search through a folder structure to file every item entered

Thanks for your reply. I respect that you and other folks like the tag method and would not use a product that does not support them. As for myself and the way that I work I agree with one of the earliest posts in this thread that tags are for taxonomy and not organization. A folder structure is a better way to organize (again, in my opinion).

As for why I use Evernote if I need a folder structure, that is a very good question. On the positive side, there are many great features to Evernote that make life easier for me.  Among them are the web clipper and the great editing capability. There are certainly others. On the negative side, I end up using Evernote for some things that fit its model but have to depend upon other tools that include a folder structure for a larger portion of my work. If Evernote had a hierarchical folder structure I would gladly abandon the use of the other tools and consolidate everything therein.

As a matter of record, where I am able to use a folder structure it does not take me any time at all to locate what I am looking for. I have worked this way for many years and know how to use such a structure to my advantage. Also, I did indeed try earnestly to use tags for a while in Evernote. I became overwhelmed by the number of items that showed up with a certain tag. I then had to add tags upon tags to simulate a hierarchy to fit may way of thinking and organizing. This became too much effort for me, so that is why I said that "I am not willing to take the time to tag every item entered". I admire the fact that some folks are very proficient with that model, but I am 65 years old and am one of those dogs that cannot seem to learn new tricks very easily.

Again, thanks for your response.  Hope to interact with you again.

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, Tom Brewer said:

As for myself and the way that I work I agree with one of the earliest posts in this thread that tags are for taxonomy and not organization. A folder structure is a better way to organize (again, in my opinion).

Tags are useful for describing things (if that's what you mean by 'taxonomy'), and that's how I tend to use them, but because they can be organized hierarchically, they can be used to reflect hierarchical organization as well -- indeed, multiple independent hierarchical organizations -- with some caveats. The big one is that tag names are unique: if you use a, say, 'Language' as a tag name, it can only exist in one location in your tag hierarchy (or hierarchies). If you assign a single tag from your hierarchy to a note, or to reverse that to resemble a folder analogue, put a note into a single tag in your hierarchy, then you can navigate the tag tree in much the same way as you navigate a folder tree (in the Windows client, anyways). And that's across notebooks, if you wish it, or restricted to a single notebook or a single stack if you wish that.

Sure, you need to tag every note if you want them to appear in your tag hierarchy, but you'd need to make sure that you're creating a note in the correct notebook if there were notebook hierarchies. Level of effort seems similar.

Beyond that, I'd suggest that you already know how to operate taxonomically: if you use Google or any other search engine, it's pretty similar, mentally. Or just describing objects in your world of discourse. Mind, that's with or without tags, as you can filter on either tags or text in a note: you add tags or text terms to filter your note database down to a smaller set of results. But getting used to thinking that way with respect to the world of computing seems to be a hurdle (even though I guess we overcame it somewhat when we kicked the Yahoo approach to the curb after Google appeared).

Don't know what to tell you otherwise. It doesn't look as though Evernote is going to change its mind on nested notebooks any time soon, if at all. I find it to be a great tool regardless, but it's certainly understandable that some folks may not be able to do without notebook hierarchies. Good luck...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Stacks can only contain notebooks,  not stacks.  Notebooks can only contain notes.  But you are able to tag notes,  so why not just create "committee 1" and "committee 2" tags,  and also "meeting 1/ 2 /3 etc" ?

• Thanks 1
On 30 October 2016 at 2:49 AM, Pivo said:

I would like to use Evernote ask my "one stop" location to make notes at work.  I need to be able to create a stack within a stack...for example

Company Name (notebook stack 1)

> Committee 1 (notebook stack 2)

> meeting 1 (note)

> meeting 2 (note)

> meeting 3 (note)

etc....

>Committee 2 (notebook stack 3)

> meeting 1

> meeting 2 

etc...

Hopefully Evernote team reads this, it should be considered as beneficial new feature request.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 2016-10-29 at 8:49 AM, Pivo said:

I would like to use Evernote ask my "one stop" location to make notes at work.  I need to be able to create a stack within a stack...for example

12 minutes ago, michael.freidgeim said:

Hopefully Evernote team reads this, it should be considered as beneficial new feature request.

It would be more productive adding your vote to a feature request
for example go to the request below - voting buttoms are in the upper left corner

As @gazumped said, nested stacks/notebooks isn't Evernote's organization method.  
You might want to look at tags

• Confused 1

I have a bunch of notebooks I'd like to throw into a single notebook/folder type thing. 

A good example would be having a very large project being broken down into multiple steps, and then those steps could still be large enough to create clutter. Having a single notebook to click into would be very orderly for at least some people(I hope I'm not the only one!)

Think inception; a dream within a dream within a dream. 

The way my brain creates the logic for Evernote is by Notebooks, and creating notebooks within notebooks, as sub-folders is something I've wanted for a long time. It seems maybe there was nestable notebooks once upon a time??  It would be fantastic as a Realtor to have the following hierarchy available to me:

REAL ESTATE (Top level stack name)

CLIENTS

Client_name

Purchase Address

Contracts

Correspondence

Disclosures

Inspection Reports

Title/Escrow

As you can see, this method requires the ability to have nesting notebooks. Pleeeeeaaaase??????

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
51 minutes ago, Lisa Hines said:

It seems maybe there was nestable notebooks once upon a time

Not in the 8 years since I've been using Evernote, somewhere near the time of the original post in this topic. Look for posts by user 'engberg', he was CTO of Evernote at the time.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Lisa Hines said:

It would be fantastic as a Realtor to have the following hierarchy available to me:

CLIENTS

Client_name

Purchase Address

Contracts

Correspondence

Disclosures

Inspection Reports

Title/Escrow

As you can see, this method requires the ability to have nesting notebooks.

I agree with you, this is a perfect use case for "nested notebooks", or as some call them "sub-notebooks".

Unfortunately, the prospects of Evernote providing this do not look good, since this has been requested many, many, times, for many years, by many, many users; and still Evernote fails to provide this highly requested feature.

If you really want to use Evernote for your use case, the only workaround I know of is to use tags, which can be setup in a hierarchical order, like nested notebooks.  When tags are used like this, I call them "pseudo notebooks".  I have actually used tags like this, and, while not perfect, it does work well.  For more info see:

Using Tags as Pseudo Notebooks 

You would have to make some adjustments, since each tag name must be unique, and cannot be duplicated just because it has a different parent tag.  If you'd like to discuss further, feel free to ask any follow-on questions, and I'll try to answer.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Lisa Hines said:

As you can see, this method requires the ability to have nesting notebooks. Pleeeeeaaaase??????

Actually I don't see that as a requirement (I obviously know nothing about the Realtor bus)
- I'd want to use Evernote, and could make it work with tags

Maybe Client/Address as a Notebook 

I'm not even sure the other items need a separate Notebook/Tag
- Is there a point in having Contract as a separate notebook?
  Maybe a tag if you need to retrieve all contracts
- I'd probably just prefix the note title with Contract, Correspondence, .....

So, I would use

Notebook: Client xxxxxx Address xxxx
Note Title: Contract yyyymmdd xxxxxxxxxx
Note Title: Correspondence yyyymmdd xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Note Title: Disclosure yyyymmdd

• Level 5*

I'd do the same thing with 'smart' titles - my format for both inbound and outbound documentation is:  <date> - <type> - <client> - <keywords> where:

• <date>         = the incoming or outbound date (not the scanned or saved date which might be different)
  • <type>         = letter / receipt / invoice / brochure / clipping / email / etc
  • <client>       = who?
  • <keywords> = anything else which might help me find this item

So an 'intitle' search for date will find all transactions last Tuesday,  or everything for Client Mr Jones,  or all incoming emails from him last week...

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, Lisa Hines said:

CLIENTS

Client_name

Purchase Address

Contracts

Correspondence

Disclosures

Inspection Reports

Title/Escrow

Not being in the Real Estate business (but having moved twice in the past five years = 2 buys and 2 sells, using the same broker :)), I'd aim to map this into Evernote something like the following:

REAL ESTATE : A notebook containing all current real estate related notes.

Each CLIENT is represented by a single master note that contains contact information plus a list of note links to relevant other notes. Tag with "Client" (so you can see a list of all of your current clients). The idea here is that the Client master note is the map to all relevant information and documents for that client. I'd also recommend having a tag for each client, so you can tag all relevant notes and be able to display them all quickly.

Each Purchase Address (Property?) is represented by a single master note that contains relevant information about the property: address, MLS listing #/web link, etc. Should also have information about the property's status (Available, Under Contract, Sold, etc -- these could be tags)  This assumes that you might have multiple clients interested in the same property. Tag with "Property" (so you can see a list of all of your current properties). Note title should probably contain address information. The idea here is that the Client master note is the map to all relevant information and documents for that property. 

Contracts: relevant contract information: PDF copy, status ("waiting for signature", "signed", etc.). Tag with "Contract". Note title should contain Client name and Contract title, at least. Relevant Client master not should link to this, possibly also relevant Property master note.

Correspondence: Copies of correspondence (ail, email, SMS messages, etc.) with various parties (clients, contractors, owners). Tag with "Correspondence" Relevant Client master not should link to this, possibly also relevant Property master note.

Disclosures, Inspection Reports, Title/Escrow: similar to Contracts and Correspondence above.

Other stuff:

I'm assuming that you have a roster of other businesses that do inspections, contracting, title search, etc.; those would seem to be ripe for inclusion in your system as well. Also, other documents you maintain (boiler-plate documents, checklists, information about your business, contact information for other brokers, etc...)

Also, you might want to have separate notebooks to keep old clients and old properties (or maybe one Archive notebook), so they're still available (I'm sure that you get repeat business, right? :) ), but out of the way of your current set of clients and properties in your active notebook.

You should probably have well-defined formats for certain items like clients and properties; you'd probably want to have note templates for these to make it easier to add new clients and properties.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, gazumped said:

I'd do the same thing with 'smart' titles - my format for both inbound and outbound documentation is:  <date> - <type> - <client> - <keywords> where:  ,,,

I'm just wondering about having <date> as the first entry in the title
This will allow you to sort your notes into data sequence, but you already have the create/update sequence
My preference is to have a keyword as the first entry
- this gives the option of having a third sort sequence

The trick is to chose the correct keyword
In the above example, Contract/../Escrow seemed a logical choice

• Level 5*

I can only fall back on - it works for me.  In my constant striving to be the world's laziest person I tend to grow a pile of work to be scanned,  which gets processed when it gets done.  Unhelpfully the documents don't pile up in date-of-receipt order - and they get messed up from time to time when I have to search for something;  so they're scanned in pretty random order.  (That reads a lot messier and more casual than it actually is...;))

The created date records the scanned date and I add the actual date of the document - which like a receipt I found a few days ago might be from weeks months or years in the past.  My four title elements are interchangeable though - if a keyword works better...

• Level 5*
On 7/31/2016 at 0:23 AM, DTLow said:

Wow, you actually believe notebooks are real containers, which contain notes.
Thats more of a logical view than reality.  Note data is contained in a database table(s).

I thought since you claim  to be a software developer, you would understand that all software uses logic to emulate real world objects.  How the data is actually stored internally is an implementation detail.  The notion of a "container" comes from how the information is presented to the user in the UI.  The Evernote Notebook meets the usual definition of a software "container" because each Note belongs to, or is contained by, one and only one Notebook.

IAC, you are, again, incorrect, at least for Evernote Mac.  The note data is NOT stored/contained in a database.  It is stored in macOS folders and files.  The EN Mac SQLite database stores only the metadata for Notes, and other objects.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 2016-12-02 at 2:14 PM, JMichaelTX said:

IAC, you are, again, incorrect, at least for Evernote Mac.  The note data is NOT stored/contained in a database.  It is stored in macOS folders and files.  The EN Mac SQLite database stores only the metadata for Notes, and other objects.

Agreed, on a Mac
- the note content is stored in individual files; html, image, pdf ... A folder for each note
- the note metadata is stored in a database file ( LocalNoteStore.sqlite) ; title, notebook, tags ...
A note's notebook/tag info is stored in the database

>>The notion of a "container" comes from how the information is presented to the user in the UI.  The Evernote Notebook meets the usual definition of a software "container" because each Note belongs to, or is contained by, one and only one Notebook.

We've gone off topic, but I understand the perception of containers
- Even the perception of a stack of containers
- Its another thing with containers within containers; the analogy suffers
As I said, its more a logical view of the data than the actual data

>>all software uses logic to emulate real world objects.

My objective with Evernote is to stash my data and retrieve it when needed
I'm not into emulating real world objects; but tag/notebook works for me; some users prefer the term "folder" (a rose by any other name) Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 8.31.09 AM.png 
Whatever the name, it's a column in the database

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, CreativeSoul said:

Probably not, but maybe someone wants to make a research about this issue and publish a doctor thesis regarding this request ;)

Not particularly thesis worthy. This is just ordinary software development stuff. Company has one vision, users have another. Free market decides.

On 3.12.2016 at 3:29 PM, jefito said:

Not particularly thesis worthy. This is just ordinary software development stuff. Company has one vision, users have another. Free market decides.

The thesis was more an ironic joke. I agree with the mostly different vision of the company and the users, but this company has a discussion forum, so I assume that they are interested in the opinion of their users. Only this topic is 35 pages long, more then 8 years old and its still being discussed. Let the people discuss, maybe the EN Team wants to stop this discussion, by "just" introducing the future. But maybe I could write a poem about the pain I am going through being a premium user for more then 2 years and not being able to have subfolders in Evernote.

Here are spontaneous song lyrics about my wish to have subfolders in Evernote:

"The Elephant is green, 

I am looking at my screen,

I am getting older,

but still no subfolder,

This topic is 35 pages long,

i am writing this song,

about my desire, 

to have a subfolder empire.

But I will hold on,

keep writing on,

for the Evernote Staff

so they work on this stuff."

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I've been a premium user for nearly 10 years,  and the subject has come up (again,  and again...) for all of that time.  If you can embrace the non-subfolder environment,  it's a good place to be.  If you really need hierarchy it might be wise to look elsewhere...  It seems highly unlikely Evernote will change anytime soon...

• Like 1
On 12/14/2016 at 6:15 AM, Lisa Hines said:

Apparently, the voices of customers don't carry much weight. #disappointed #stillwaiting

Yes, I felt the same when coming to this forum. Some members just impose their opinion to us with their point of view, use cases and alternative way to work around when it comes to a situation the nested notebook is really useful. It's kind of trying to disagree and completely prevent the idea of adding a new different feature despite the fact that adding this feature does NOT create a similar/duplicating functionality or impact on their way of using tag system, and I don't know why? Don't tell me that you want me to use EN the same way like yours, because I don't save the same content as yours and I don't have the same organizing philosophies (rules and conventions that optimized the best for me in case of performance and effectiveness in saving, recalling and searching) as yours.

Just one thing to say to the admins or the product manager I don't know if you read this: Everyone has their own way to organize thing which works best for them and in their own sense. EN is a tool set and it should provide tools for the customers to freely manage their own organizing without the limitation. I think it is the goal of EN, right?.

Thank you very much for this amazing product.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Wow, this thread started in 2008. Nearly a decade later, people are still desperate to replicate deep hierarchies of file folders. Old habits die hard don't die apparently.

I would downvote this thread if I could, but no worries, I am certain that EN will not waste time on this when there are so many more forward looking feature requests.

Forgive me if I'm being a bit salty. Couldn't sleep!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, tavor said:

Wow, this thread started in 2008. Nearly a decade later, people are still desperate to replicate deep hierarchies of file folders. Old habits die hard don't die apparently.

I would downvote this thread if I could, but no worries, I am certain that EN will not waste time on this when there are so many more forward looking feature requests.

Forgive me if I'm being a bit salty. Couldn't sleep!

First, I had joined EN community and saw this topic opening for discuss, I really don't care if this thread started in 1998.

Second, what is wrong with "deep hierarchies of file folders", who classified it as an old habit?

Finally, why are you so salty about this idea? Actually I don't really care. What I care about is that will I have an official response from the EN staff who can tell the actual status / decision relating to this feature. If you EN really don't want to do this, then just say a No a close this topic. If you EN accept this task then please say Yes. 

I see no reason why we need to debate anymore when there is a vote and currently it is about +50.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
13 hours ago, kingtrn said:

What I care about is that will I have an official response from the EN staff who can tell the actual status / decision relating to this feature.

I don't know how official you want it to be, but since this thread is 9 years old one might be able to draw some conclusions.  And most of the view imposing you reference in your earlier post has more to do with offering suggestions as to how to navigate and leverage EN without deeply nested notebooks.  Since waiting for the feature to arrive might just be folly.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
13 hours ago, kingtrn said:

What I care about is that will I have an official response from the EN staff who can tell the actual status / decision relating to this feature.

Look for posts in this topic by 'engberg' (you can use the search box above). He -- Dave Engberg -- was the CTO of Evernote for a long time (gone about a year, I think), and about as official as you're probably going to get here, as Evernote tends not to pre-announce features until they're close to shipping (sometimes you can get clues from following beta releases). I can't remember whether any other Evernote staffer has contributed to this topic or not, but engberg was pretty definitive.

My usual advice is is to use an application if it works for you today, and don't wait and hope on future features.

• Like 2

Thank you for the information. Very appreciate. I'm still using the application as the way it provides. But sometime it's better to have some direct feature like nested notebook. And I saw this in the feature suggestion forum, so I just contribute one more vote.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, jeffsf said:

The answer to ask these problems is for Evernote just to allow more levels of nesting in the notebook area, like the Mac OS has had since, let me see, 1984?

There isn't a problem; This is a request for a feature

Never say never, but it does seem clear that this feature is not available in Evernote.

Instead, Evernote has a Tag feature with unlimited hierarchy

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, jeffsf said:

The answer to ask these problems is for Evernote just to allow more levels of nesting in the notebook area, like the Mac OS has had since, let me see, 1984?

Whoa, that might just do it. I don't think anyone's tried sarcasm before...

• Like 2
On 2/24/2017 at 2:20 PM, DTLow said:

There isn't a problem; This is a request for a feature

Never say never, but it does seem clear that this feature is not available in Evernote.

Instead, Evernote has a Tag feature with unlimited hierarchy

Perhaps you don't find this a problem for the way you like to work, but it is a problem for me and others. Tags are a wonderful tool, but they are not a substitute for a structured system where one can group items in browsable sets and see the structure as one searches. With tags you have to recall the specific tag from memory, or go to a separate place to remember the tag structure, then go back and do a search. It is enormously cumbersome for searching that involves browsing related items to rediscover what's there or to find something for which you do not recall the exact title or tag. Hierarchical file systems have their weaknesses, which tags have done a lot to fix (such as being able to tie an item to more than one category), but they also possess enormous strengths. Find commands, whether using tags or some other mechanism are one good tool, but they are not always the right one. 

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, jeffsf said:

Perhaps you don't find this a problem for the way you like to work, but it is a problem for me and others. Tags are a wonderful tool, but they are not a substitute for a structured system where one can group items in browsable sets and see the structure as one searches. With tags you have to recall the specific tag from memory, or go to a separate place to remember the tag structure, then go back and do a search. It is enormously cumbersome for searching that involves browsing related items to rediscover what's there or to find something for which you do not recall the exact title or tag. Hierarchical file systems have their weaknesses, which tags have done a lot to fix (such as being able to tie an item to more than one category), but they also possess enormous strengths. Find commands, whether using tags or some other mechanism are one good tool, but they are not always the right one. 

Tags have you covered there, too. See pseudo-notebooks - I couldn't find @JMichaelTX's original thread on this, but this discussion covers it pretty well:

As you can see, pseudo-notebooks, i.e., nested tags as notebooks or folders or whatever you want to call the hierarchical structure, addresses the concerns your post raises.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, tavor said:

With tags you have to recall the specific tag from memory....

I didn't mean to reopen the tag vs notebook debate.
The fact is, you've selected a product that uses nested tags for organization

But getting into it, I can turn your Tag comments around and say the same thing about Notebooks.
- you have to recall your specific notebook from memory
- or go to a specific place to remember the notebook structure

You could also mention a notebook is a container and a tag is a label 
but the reality is that both are just fields assigned to a note

My comments do not invalidate the posting of a Nesting Notebook Request
I just mean to counter your Tag response

7 hours ago, DTLow said:

I didn't mean to reopen the tag vs notebook debate.
The fact is, you've selected a product that uses nested tags for organization

But getting into it, I can turn your Tag comments around and say the same thing about Notebooks.
- you have to recall your specific notebook from memory
- or go to a specific place to remember the notebook structure

You could also mention a notebook is a container and a tag is a label 
but the reality is that both are just fields assigned to a note

My comments do not invalidate the posting of a Nesting Notebook Request
I just mean to counter your Tag response

I get your idea about recall, but in fact that is the genius of nested file structures (notebooks, folders, directories, etc.). You only have to remember the broad general category, or find it in a short list of folders at the top level. Then you navigate through easily browsable lists at each level, so precise recall is not in the least the issue. Some proponents of tags suggest nested tags as a substitute, and that's just fine on a computer, where you can see the tags in their hierarchical structure, but on the iPhone you can't see tags as a hierarchy. You can work around that, but the list is still visible only deep in the account tab (under settings), completely separate from the ability to see the notes that are under the tags. It's completely unworkable as a browsing mechanism. Hence the desire for nested notebooks, since the notebook pull-down is right there in the notes section of the app.

14 hours ago, tavor said:

Tags have you covered there, too. See pseudo-notebooks - I couldn't find @JMichaelTX's original thread on this, but this discussion covers it pretty well:

As you can see, pseudo-notebooks, i.e., nested tags as notebooks or folders or whatever you want to call the hierarchical structure, addresses the concerns your post raises.

Many thanks for the suggestion. I had already read it, and admire the creativity. It's very practical for my computer, but I haven't figured out how to use it easily on the iPhone. To see the tag hierarchy on the phone, one has to go into settings, inside the account tab. Stacks and notebooks, are immediately available in a pull-down right in the notes area. So while I'm continuing to try to make tags work, in combo with notebooks, I would pay a good deal to have a more robust notebook function, though Evernote, with their fixation on search terms rather than hierarchy, seem fairly deaf to the entreaties of folks who prefer to work with hierarchies.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, jeffsf said:

Many thanks for the suggestion. I had already read it, and admire the creativity. It's very practical for my computer, but I haven't figured out how to use it easily on the iPhone.

You have hit on a major limitation of tags in general, and pseudo notebooks specifically, when used on mobile devices.

Because of this, I have minimized my use of EN iOS, rarely creating or editing Notes there (all done on EN Mac).  
As I stated in this link:

On 1/5/2016 at 3:20 PM, JMichaelTX said:
I use tags in two fundamentally different ways:
  1. Pseudo Notebooks -- use in place of where you would normally use a notebook.  This includes sub-notebooks.
  2. Note Categorization -- traditional use of tags to categorize the entity, which can have multiple tags.  Can be used across Notebooks, or in this case, across pseudo NBs.

For most of my use of EN iOS, I make use of:

• Tags used as Categories
  • Saved Searches
  • EN Shortcuts
  • General Search

For example, I have a tag named "HC.Medical", which is for Health Care Medical (doctors, clinics, hospitals, medications, etc) that I use.
So, when I am at a doctor's visit, I simply use the tag filter for "HC.Medical" to bring my medical notes, with the most recent sorted on top.
I also have a saved search and shortcut for this search: "tag:hc.medical tag:masternote" which show the primary notes (one note for each major category) for all of my medical stuff (Doctor, Insurance, etc).

So, I rarely use pseudo notebooks on my EN iOS devices.  I just don't have the need to browse notes there like I do on my Macs (or Windows PCs).
Even if we had unlimited, hierarchical Notebooks, I don't think I would really use them that much on my mobile devices.  
But that's just me.  YMMV.

BTW, just to be clear, I would very much like to have unlimited, hierarchical Notebooks in Evernote.  Then, I would have no need for pseudo notebooks. I see good use for both hierarchical Notebooks and Tags.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jeffsf said:

in fact that is the genius of nested file structures (notebooks, folders, directories, etc.). You only have to remember the broad general category, or find it in a short list of folders at the top level. Then you navigate through easily browsable lists at each level, so precise recall is not in the least the issue.

58b3521dce181_ScreenShot2017-02-26at2_03_55PM.thumb.png.7597b905cc6bf852cf29d2d520e23d93.png

You're right about the tag hierarchy missing on the iPhone/iPad
I'm forever hopeful that it will by implemented someday

And if nested notebooks get implemented, I hope the hierarchy gets shown on the IOS platform

I make use of the tag hierarchy on my Mac
I only have to remember the broad general category
or find it in a short list of tags at the top level
Then I navigate through easily browsable lists at each level

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I just checked if tag hierarchy is implemented in Android, and it is. I'm only discovering this now because I never use the tag hierarchy on my phone. I only ever 'browse' my notes by hierarchy in EN Windows.

On the phone, I use EN Android pretty much how @JMichaelTX describes using EN iOS:

56 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

For most of my use of EN iOS, I make use of:

• Tags used as Categories
  • Saved Searches
  • EN Shortcuts
  • General Search

I check back maybe every year of so to see if EN is headed toward nested folders, which is maybe the most ubiquitous idea in computing.  Sorry to say that I see here yet another thread where someone asks about this simple feature and gets pounded into the ground by EN zealots who believe that workaround=solution.  See you guys in another year or so.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
18 hours ago, Flier said:

another thread where someone asks about this simple feature and gets pounded into the ground by EN zealots who believe that workaround=solution

You're welcome to create a request for nested folders or add your vote to the the request for nested notebooks

However if you're going to post a comment and make claims like "most ubiquitous idea", don't be surprised if you get a discussion

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, DTLow said:

However if you're going to post a comment and make claims like "most ubiquitous idea", don't be supprized if you get a discussion

Actually @Flier said:

4 hours ago, Flier said:

nested folders, maybe the most ubiquitous idea in computing

Operative word being "maybe".

In the history of personal computers, directories and sub-directories were there virtually from the beginning, or at least as I best remember going back to the early 1980s.  I'm pretty sure the MS-DOS delivered by Microsoft to IBM included them.  IAC, I don't know of any computers in modern history that does not support them.

A mystery we may never solve is why Evernote chose not to support nested Notebooks, which are functionally much like folders/directories on computers.
Maybe when Evernote co-founder and former CEO Phil LIbin writes his memoirs. . . ?

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

In the history of personal computers, directories and sub-directories ...

And the discussion starts again

I have no objection to nested folders being ubiquous to computer organization.  It's true now, and true when Evernote started

From the very beginning Evernote has presented themselves as delivering an alternative organization method (Tags)

I understand completely that this alternative does not appeal to everyone and consequently, they don't use Evernote

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, DTLow said:

And the discussion starts again

LOL.  I think you prompted it with:

10 hours ago, DTLow said:

However if you're going to post a comment and make claims like "most ubiquitous idea", don't be supprized if you get a discussion

All I was trying to do was to show that he had made a reasonable statement.  But then, YMMV.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 3/11/2017 at 6:04 AM, Eduardo Estefano said:

I am against this feature. It would make the notebook structure just as messy as every folder structure I have ever come across. 

The folder structure used is entirely user-designed.

My folders are generally very logical and well-organized, thank you.  Folders are just another tool.  Any tool can be misused.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 2017-03-11 at 4:04 AM, Eduardo Estefano said:

I am against this feature

This is nothing wrong with user's posting a request; I see no harm with Evernote implementing Notebook hierarchy

>>.It would make the notebook structure just as messy as every folder structure I have ever come across

I agree.  Notebook hierarchy is not a feature I'd use and I've posted many times on how tags are a superior form of organization

edited: Superior because of increased flexibility; it's hierarchical vs relational organization 
Notebooks provide a hiarchical organization - you can only assign one notebook to a note
Tags allow a relational organization - you can assign multiple tags to a note

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I've posted many times on how tags are a superior form of organization

Tags are NOT inherently a better form of organization.  It depends greatly on the use case and user preference.

• Like 1

Tags are great. But I personally need notebooks in order to share groups of notes.

Currently, the note sharing process is not so great. The note is only visible via workchat.

A combination of notebooks and tags for me at least eliminates the need for nested notebooks.

• Level 5*
On 2017-03-14 at 4:08 PM, Eduardo Estefano said:

Tags are great. But I personally need notebooks in order to share groups of notes.

Likewise, I use Notebooks for the purpose of Sharing, Local/Sync, Offline

I also have an Inbox Notebook; its a GTD thing

Organization of all notes?  Everyone's notes?  The point is this:  You cannot possibly know all possible uses for Evernote, so you can't ever say logically that tags are superior to hierarchical folders without qualifying the statement to state the uses for which you consider tags to be superior.

You like tags. Fine.  You're a zealot for tags.  Fine.  But it is logically impossible for you to know that tags are superior in all possible uses.  Said another way, it is sloppy thinking.

What can be said is the capability of a union of truly hierarchical folders and the tag system provides a superset relative to the capability of the tag system alone.  Hence, it is likely that the  union will be superior to tags in at least some applications.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 2017-03-14 at 5:37 PM, Flier said:

You cannot possibly know all possible uses for Evernote, so you can't ever say logically that tags are superior to hierarchical folders without qualifying the statement to state the uses for which you consider tags to be superior.

I updated my post with: 
Superior because of increased flexibilityit's hierarchical vs relational organization 
Notebooks provide a hiarchical organization - you can only assign one notebook to a note
Tags allow a relational organization - you can assign multiple tags to a note

I choose to make use of the increased flexibility offered by Tags

I believe in knowing my tools and using the best method.  I'm a zealot for this.

>>What can be said is the capability of a union of truly hierarchical folders and the tag system provides a superset relative to the capability of the tag system alone

I see a problem with using two organizational systems at the same time.

Even if this request is implemented, I would not be using hierarchical folders/folders

Agree! I would also like to see a sub-notebook feature! Tags are great but they are cumbersome to get to because they are in a completely different section than the notebooks. So a lot of scrolling or moving around the screen has to happen to find the tags, especially in the android app. Notebooks in the real world often have "dividers". So if we're going with that analogy, EN should have Stacks>notbooks>dividers>notes that would make keeping all the information organized so much easier. I've tried other way to "work around" this issues, such as creating custom searches. This allowed me to show notes from a particular notebook with a particular tag, however, the searches show up at the very bottom of the side menu. So that leads to a lot of scrolling to find what I needed. Then on the app, those same searches are in a different place. The same with shortcuts, on windows it's at the top, on android It's at the bottom. A lot of people are accustom to this type of file folder system. Tagging is just too cumbersome to use as a "folder" system. 

• Like 1

I got to say this is just ridiculous, not serving either of us the sub notebook people nor the nested tag people with both unusable across platforms!

Isn't organization supposed to be the most important thing here and not just dump notes in one notebook and choose tags from a list of millions of tags, that is the most non-standard and frustrating way of working for me.

All the other features of Evernote are great but the organization of notes is just horrible.

• Like 1
On 11.3.2017 at 1:04 PM, Eduardo Estefano said:

I am against this feature. It would make the notebook structure just as messy as every folder structure I have ever come across. 

What the heck? You don't have to use sub-notebooks if you don't want, people here are just too attached just because they get a batch saying "Guru".

On 24.4.2016 at 4:07 PM, DTLow said:

You can't have notebooks inside of notebooks

God damnit, you do know that old school paper notebooks have flaws? We're in a digital age where we can have whatever functions we want, or do we still need to create notes on stones? That argument makes no sense and its persistent defense even less.

• Level 5*

There's endless discussion of tags vs folders vs search vs hierarchies in the forums but while it's fine for everyone to have their own opinion of how Evernote 'should' be set up,  what you see is what you got.  

Evernote may or may not have plans to change - but they don't share.  

So the choice boils down to:  find a way to make the current layout work for you,  or look for a more acceptable alternative.  Given that users have been munging the options for several years without there being visible change as yet,  any imminent update seems unlikely.

Bad weird or horrible as it may appear,  this is what you have to work with.  Search works pretty well for me most of the time,  padded out with some tags and sensible titles.  

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
58 minutes ago, amort said:

Isn't organization supposed to be the most important thing here

For me, the most important thing here is to retrieve my data.  

The solutions offered by Evernote work for me, and I'm happy I don't have to bother with "organization" when storing my data

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, amort said:

Isn't organization supposed to be the most important thing here and not just dump notes in one notebook and choose tags from a list of millions of tags, that is the most non-standard and frustrating way of working for me.

I'm with @DTLow, finding things is the most important thing here.  So organize around how to find based upon your use case.  A million tags or notebooks most likely isn't the optimal path.  Notebooks and/or tags can be used to cull down to a manageable number of notes when searching. 

See if you can put a structure in place such that the majority of searches return a set of 20 or less notes, and if not, can be quickly refined with the addition of text..  IMO, care less about where you put it (notebook) and more about how you find it (text and tag).  My searches are All Notes context anymore, 32k notes and climbing.  FWIW.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, mcascone said:

I haven't read all 36 pages of this thread. I am able to create sub-notebooks very easily, by drag-and-dropping them where I want. Are people not aware of this feature?

People want more levels of notebooks, they want full nesting, not just stacks..

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, mcascone said:

You can create three levels of notebooks; it's not infinite but it feels about right to me

It's actually two levels.  Notebooks, and then a Stack of notebooks.  That's what you're showing in your image

I also find this sufficient.  In fact, I have minimal notebooks and prefer to use Tags for organization

9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

It's actually two levels.  Notebooks, and then a Stack of notebooks.  That's what you're showing in your image

I also find this sufficient.  In fact, I have minimal notebooks and prefer to use Tags for organization

Some people like tags, others use notebooks - they're really quite similar when you think about it, like Gmail's tags are basically folders (in fact that's how they're managed outside of native gmail). Some people like one giant bucket and use pure search to find what they want. It depends on your use case, and your style. I prefer a mix of notebooks and tags, actually tags are losing their usefulness for me. An app can't be everything for everyone, and there are usually workarounds; if not, try another tool.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, mcascone said:

Some people like tags, others use notebooks - they're really quite similar when you think about it,

In Evernote, Tags and Notebooks are very different

• Tags can be organized into unlimited hierarchy.  
    This isn't that important, but it might be a fix for a folder addiction
  • The most important point is that multiple tags can be assigned to a note
  • Notebooks are required to identify notes as Local/Synced, Shared, Offline

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:
  • Tags can be organized into unlimited hierarchy.  This isn't that important, but it might be a fix for a folder addiction
  • The most important point is that multiple tags can be assigned to a note

I hadn't thought of that. If you really need 158 layers of notebooks, then tags might be for you. And the 1-to-many approach offers a lot of flexibility.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, mcascone said:

You can create three levels of notebooks; it's not infinite but it feels about right to me.

You can only put notes in a notebook, and then you can put notebooks in a stack.  Not sure All notes would quality as a notebook.  IAC some folks would like to have more levels of notebooks with the ability to put notes in all those notebook levels.  I'm with you, current set up works for me, but not for all hence the request.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, mcascone said:

You can create three levels of notebooks; it's not infinite but it feels about right to me.

If it works for you, that's great.

But, to be clear. there is only ONE level of Notebooks:

• A Notebook can contain ONLY Notes, NOT other sub-Notebooks
  • Stacks are NOT Notebooks, but only a container of Notebooks
  • Stacks can contain ONLY Notebooks, not Notes.
  • Like 1

Yes, you can't please all the people all the time, that's true. However, just one extra level would add a great deal of extra flexibility for a large number of people. I see so many people asking for this feature. It doesn't make sense as a company for them not to want to implement it. However, we'll never know if this is something EN is working on until we get it or don't.

I for one would just like to see "Dividers" or "Sections" (sub-notebooks), that would only add one extra layer but it would make my life so much more organized. That would make the hierarchy as such: Stacks>Notebooks>Divider or Section>Notes. This would be in line with the whole notebook analogy that Evernote has created. Notebooks often come in multiple subjects with dividers in them for different topics within the same notebook. I think added this sub-notebook level makes perfect sense. 

Tags don't seem to work for my brain. I use them, but in the traditional way they were originally designed for, as a way to add to the organization of things. Not as the main focus for organization. For me and the way I think, Tags are too cumbersome to organize and access. Searching and then narrowing said search by tag feels like way too much work or remembering search complex syntaxes just to find one note. If I put certain things in a designated folder, I can just go straight to that folder and know it'll always be in there. It's very straight forward type organization. Again to each their own but if there are enough people that want a feature and it is withing their power to add that feature, why not add it. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
14 minutes ago, WolfChild said:

feels like way too much work or remembering search complex syntaxes just to find one note. If I put certain things in a designated folder, I can just go straight to that folder and know it'll always be in there. It's very straight forward type organization. 

Like this example for Insurance Documents

Tag: Insurance

vs

Folder: House/Insurance + Boat/insurance + Car/Insurance
             Or is that Insurance/House ....  (complex syntaxes?)
  • Like 2
  • Level 5*

Evernote really don't seem inclined to add this extra feature,  although I'm sure they have the technical skills to do so.  They have to look at the costs involved though,  and the chances of their getting more business off the back of the new feature and/ or stopping paying folks leaving because they really want that option.  For the moment the sums just don't - apparently - add up...

10 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Like this example for Insurance Documents

Tag: Insurance

vs

Folder: House/Insurance + Boat/insurance + Car/Insurance
             Or is that Insurance/House ....  (complex syntaxes?)

By Complex search syntax, I'm referring to the search function. For example, if you want to find a note but you only want to search the title or you have other specific parameters, you need to use the various search function syntax such as "intittle:" before the name of the note. It can get complicated to try to search for one note. I am not referring to tags as complex search syntax. 

Again, different strokes. To each their own. And everyone is different. 

• Level 5*
53 minutes ago, WolfChild said:

Tags don't seem to work for my brain.. I use them, but in the traditional way they were originally designed for, as a way to add to the organization of things. Not as the main focus for organization. 

And yet you use adjectives, which are entirely similar. Tags are designed to be like keywords: to describe the content of some larger document. They're really quite simple in that respect. But the bonus is that you can use Evernote's tags for organization as well. I don't see the problem.

56 minutes ago, WolfChild said:

For me and the way I think, Tags are too cumbersome to organize and access. Searching and then narrowing said search by tag feels like way too much work or remembering search complex syntaxes just to find one note.

How are they too cumbersome? I clip or add some content, select one or more tags and put it into one of a small number of notebooks. Easy. To find it, I don't aim to search to narrow to exactly one note; narrowing it down to <10 will do, using a combination of tags and text, which is not complex. I do the same thing with web searches.

59 minutes ago, WolfChild said:

If I put certain things in a designated folder, I can just go straight to that folder and know it'll always be in there.

?? If I apply a tag to a note, I can go straight to that tag and I know that the note will always be there.

1 hour ago, WolfChild said:

It's very straight forward type organization.

Sure, strict hierarchical systems (which nested notebooks would be) are straightforward but they're not as flexible as tagging systems, since items may validly belong to more than one hierarchy. Tags can handle that situation nicely in a way that hierarchies can't. 

For people who really want to build hierarchical structures, you can do that with Evernote's tags too. I don.t but many people do.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, WolfChild said:

I for one would just like to see "Dividers" or "Sections" (sub-notebooks), that would only add one extra layer but it would make my life so much more organized. That would make the hierarchy as such: Stacks>Notebooks>Divider or Section>Notes. This would be in line with the whole notebook analogy that Evernote has created. Notebooks often come in multiple subjects with dividers in them for different topics within the same notebook. I think added this sub-notebook level makes perfect sense. 

I agree, and obviously so do lots of other users who have requested a similar feature in this thread, and others.

Tags don't seem to work for my brain. I use them, but in the traditional way they were originally designed for, as a way to add to the organization of things. Not as the main focus for organization.

This is a point that some don't seem to understand.  I've come to believe it is related to how a person thinks.  Some see the advantage of a hierarchical organization for some use cases, others don't.  We all know people who seem to be very organized in all things in their life, and others who are very disorganized.

It's very straight forward type organization. Again to each their own but if there are enough people that want a feature and it is withing their power to add that feature, why not add it. 

Who knows?  Unless you are an inside member of the Evernote design team, you have no way of knowing, until/if they ( Evernote ) choose to share it with us.

I see a definite benefit to having BOTH hierarchical Notebooks and Tags.  

• Like 3
22 hours ago, jefito said:

And yet you use adjectives, which are entirely similar. Tags are designed to be like keywords: to describe the content of some larger document. They're really quite simple in that respect. But the bonus is that you can use Evernote's tags for organization as well. I don't see the problem.

How are they too cumbersome? I clip or add some content, select one or more tags and put it into one of a small number of notebooks. Easy. To find it, I don't aim to search to narrow to exactly one note; narrowing it down to <10 will do, using a combination of tags and text, which is not complex. I do the same thing with web searches.

?? If I apply a tag to a note, I can go straight to that tag and I know that the note will always be there.

Sure, strict hierarchical systems (which nested notebooks would be) are straightforward but they're not as flexible as tagging systems, since items may validly belong to more than one hierarchy. Tags can handle that situation nicely in a way that hierarchies can't. 

For people who really want to build hierarchical structures, you can do that with Evernote's tags too. I don.t but many people do.

I understand how to use tags and the tagging system. I find the way you have picked apart my post about my personal opinions to be insulting. This is the way I work or like to organize things. You do things one way and that's fine, I don't do things your way. That's all I'm saying. Everyone does things differently, just because you don't see a problem doesn't mean there isn't one.