New in Chrome Beta: Evernote + Google Drive | Web Release 5/12/2016

scruggles

Idea

Hi all!

This week, we’re rolling out our new editor experience to 100% of Chrome users. You’ll get the same great markdown features as you have in other clients, plus a little bonus… 

New in Chrome beta: Evernote + Google Drive
Now you can add docs, slides, sheets, and files from Google Drive as attachments or as pasted links (URLs) without having to leave Evernote. When you attach Google Drive files, the links are formatted as clickable objects that are easy to find in a note. 

You can opt in to the beta by clicking this link - https://www.evernote.com/Home.action?optInBeta=true - or by doing the following in Chrome:
  • Click the “Try Beta” banner, which should be next to the “Share” & “Done” buttons
  • Click “Let’s go”
  • Your client should refresh with the new editor.

I look forward to you feedback!

Best,
Karen

48 replies to this idea

Hi, great idea, but it's not working for me.

I was able to go to the Beta version and I'm running chrome  Version 51.0.2704.63 m

I was able to link to google drive etc. 

When I click on the google drive icon, nothing happens. If I add a link, it'll work fine.

So this is a beta inside the beta?

Very confusing. I wish the functionality would come to the old version of the web page, which I still use. The beta is a mess of odd animations, unintuitive tool placements, harsh color highlights, invisible margins, and too much white space. I tried it again to see the new integration, but I couldn't even figure out how to view a pdf inline like you can on the old web site.

16 hours ago, Glennie said:

Evernote + Google Drive is a great idea.

But it is not the "idea" that users have been requesting.

What users want is attention to what they actually ask for.

Something like this:

1. These are your requests

2. This is what is not possible at the moment

3. This is the order in which we want to meet the rest of the requests

We will then all feel that we are actually being attended to and the development of the Beta will not feel like a lottery in which we may or may not be lucky.

FWIW Evernote, this is something Microsoft does with their uservoice pages:

Hello, Scruggles,  I accepted the offer to 'try' the new Chrome 'beta' and I now want to 'untry' it. I once thought 'try' implied one could 'untry' but have been unable to find a way to do so after searching thru the support options Evernote offers. Would you kindly advise on how to undo the 'beta' and go back to the non beta Evernote.  I particularly do not wish to have EN connected to my Google Drive and must find a way to disconnect this unwanted action. 

Thank you,  

Jamesmichael

• Level 5*
On 1 June 2016 at 0:17 AM, scruggles said:

Hi @jimdew, the web version will duplicate notes if we detect that there may be a note conflict. This can happen sometimes if you have a slow internet connection - rather than lose any of your changes, we create a new note for you. Do you typically use the web client? This behavior would have existed before.

This also happens if you make the mistake of editing a note at the same time as someone else. Might be a good idea to let the user know why it happened....

On 6/11/2016 at 3:13 AM, PraneelPIDIKITI said:

Will this be available with Evernote app in Mac or Windows ?

Hi Praneel - We're working on ways to bring this into all of our applications. Watch the Windows and Mac forums for updates.

9 hours ago, Encognitus said:

Is there a way to add more than one google drive account? I keep track of several things and the ability to switch between two drive accounts would be great. 

@Encognitus You can't do this currently. Good to know this is something you'd like to do!

On 5/31/2016 at 11:01 AM, macfixer said:

You can switch accounts from the Google Drive site, but Evernote will only link to one account at a time.

Napkin 2 05-31-16, 11.59.34 AM.png

Switching Google accounts in this manner does not work for me.  I've switched Google accounts, closed out all apps and Evernote still is connected to the first GDrive account.

Did you also have to disconnect Evernote and Google via Evernote Settings, and then reconnect to your second GDrive account?

@scruggles I found a bit of a bug.

In the current web version of Evernote, you are able to copy and paste formulas from Wikipedia into a note and retain that formula (or formatting, if you will). For example, this is how the first formula from this article would look:

V = 4/3 π r3

(I just realized the fraction messed up over here; however, in the web notes it displays perfectly fine). 

However, with the new (2016) beta, this is what is pasted:

V = 
/
 π r3

Essentially, formatting is removed. For complicated formulas, the LaTeX version of the formula seems to be pasted. 

Would it be possible to fix this? This is quite important for me as a lot of the notes I make contain these formulas.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, scruggles said:

@SeaDolphin Hmm I can't reproduce! I tried pasting that formula in both Mac and Web and we recognized it. Could you send me steps to reproduce the issue, and also your browser/OS?

Hi @scruggles! Sorry about that, I didn't even link the article! Here is a better example: look at this article.

Now, in a new note if you try to paste in the first formula in the current Evernote Web, this is what you get:

\int _{a}^{b}\!f(x)\,dx

So it looks absolutely fine.

However, if you paste it in the new beta Evernote Web (2016), this is what you get:

\int _{a}^{b}\!f(x)\,dx

So it looks way different... not as useful this time!

I have a bit more information about this as well, in case you need it. The second "form" of the equation, I'll call it, is actually the form that you get when you copy and paste the formula from Wikipedia into a text editor like Notepad. It is the "stripped down" version of the formula – since Notepad can't display rich text, it pastes the code for this formula – in this case, the LaTeX code. That's what seems to happen in the beta Evernote Web now. 

I am running on macOS El Capitan 10.11.5 and using Safari as my "client."

Please let me know if you can reproduce this issue. Thank you very much!

Hi @SeaDolphin, I'm having trouble reproducing.

Here are the current steps I'm trying:

1) Load https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral in Safari with the new editor beta ON
2) Select the following text and hit CTRL-C to copy:

\int _{a}^{b}\!f(x)\,dx

3) Load evernote.com/Home.action
4) Open a note and hit CTRL-V to paste

My result: Formula displays as shown above
Your result: Formula displays as \int _{a}^{b}\!f(x)\,dx

Interestingly enough, if I boot up the web clipper on that page and select "Simplify formatting" I see that the formulas are displaying as below:
{\displaystyle \int _{a}^{b}\!f(x)\,dx}  \int _{a}^{b}\!f(x)\,dx

Hello @scruggles,

Looks like the problem is with Safari! Take a look at the attached images to see a comparison between browsers. I first pasted just the formula, and then both the first paragraph and the formula. All of them were done on the respective browsers on the 2016 Evernote Beta.

The strange thing that you see in the "simplify formatting" view actually looks like what happens when you paste the formula using Google Crome using the non-beta version, or something like that.

Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 3.25.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 3.25.11 PM.png

13 hours ago, Sandeep Dinni said:

Hi Karen,

I do not see the 'Try Beta' when I log into Evernote via Chrome

Please advise. Thank you.

Hi Sandeep! THis post is from May - we have rolled our beta out to all users on CHrome.

14 hours ago, YoYurec said:

Switched to beta, setting permissions to google drive... After pressing to GDrive icon i got an red alert "Error connecting with Google" ((

@YoYurec Did you have internet connectivity when you were trying this? If you're still running into this issue, could you tell me your Chrome browser version and send me a quick screencap of what you're seeing? It'll help us reproduce and fix the problem. Feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks!

Very good! Wish it for iOS! There is a ready made file picker program-module-code which a lot of apps are using (like OneNote): you can choose OneDrive, Dropbox, WebDav ... _this_ would be absolutly great!!!

21 hours ago, scruggles said:
Hi all!

This week, we’re rolling out our new editor experience to 100% of Chrome users. You’ll get the same great markdown features as you have in other clients, plus a little bonus… 

New in Chrome beta: Evernote + Google Drive
Now you can add docs, slides, sheets, and files from Google Drive as attachments or as pasted links (URLs) without having to leave Evernote. When you attach Google Drive files, the links are formatted as clickable objects that are easy to find in a note. 

You can opt in to the beta by clicking this link - https://www.evernote.com/Home.action?optInBeta=true - or by doing the following in Chrome:
  • Click the “Try Beta” banner, which should be next to the “Share” & “Done” buttons
  • Click “Let’s go”
  • Your client should refresh with the new editor.

I look forward to you feedback!

Best,
Karen

Hi Karen,

This looks to be a great update and it has prompted me to pick up my Evernote account again.

I got the impression we can search our Drive from Evernote, however I can't seem to find the option to do so when running a search? Would you or anyone else be able to clarify how this works for me?

Problem: clipped an article in simplified view. Everything OK.  Then tried to add something from Google Drive. Next thing I know, only the headline remains. The rest of the note is gone.

Just tried this out. Linked from Chrome to a google drive pdf. Link working fine. Then edited the pdf in Goodreader on my iphone and synced up the changes. Now the original evernote link no longer works. It seems that the edited file has a different google file link and so the evernote link is broken. This works fine on Dropbox by the way. Presumably its a google issue?

Correction: Actually I've never used direct links from dropbox to evernote, so their links may change when the file has been edited as well. 

First thing I tried (as always) is selecting multiple notes, something that ***large numbers*** of people have clamored for in the forums for ***years***.

Nope.  Doesn't work.  I guess Evernote *really* does not give a hoot about existing users, focused purely on new features and can't spare any time to solidify existing deficiencies.  Not sure why I even bother giving feedback on anything other than brand new features, it apparently goes straight into the trash.

On 5/14/2016 at 3:50 PM, DontDuckWithMe said:

This is a great update!

One problem, though. It keeps asking me to give Evernote authorisation to access my Google account, which I've already granted several times. Other than that, it seems to be working fine.

@DontDuckWithMe Are you still running into this issue? If so, could you tell me what your Chrome browser version is? Some screenshots/a video would be helpful as well. Feel free to PM me.
Thanks!

Evernote + Google Drive is a great idea.

But it is not the "idea" that users have been requesting.

What users want is attention to what they actually ask for.

Something like this:

1. These are your requests

2. This is what is not possible at the moment

3. This is the order in which we want to meet the rest of the requests

We will then all feel that we are actually being attended to and the development of the Beta will not feel like a lottery in which we may or may not be lucky.

On 5/13/2016 at 6:43 AM, Matt Perry said:

Hi Karen,

This looks to be a great update and it has prompted me to pick up my Evernote account again.

I got the impression we can search our Drive from Evernote, however I can't seem to find the option to do so when running a search? Would you or anyone else be able to clarify how this works for me?

@Matt Perry If it's in Evernote, you can search it! So, say you link to your "Grandma's Cookie Recipe" Google Doc in Evernote - that should be searchable. But if your "Grandma's Apple Pie Recipe" is just in Google Drive and not in Evernote, you won't be able to search it.

13 hours ago, scruggles said:

@DontDuckWithMe Are you still running into this issue? If so, could you tell me what your Chrome browser version is? Some screenshots/a video would be helpful as well. Feel free to PM me.
Thanks!

Chrome 50. Basically, after a few minutes the "Connect" link appears again. The link to the Google Drive files still works, though.

Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 14.16.55.png

I've put in links to Google Drive documents into some of my notes.  But when I search for keywords in the Web Beta client, words in those Google Drive files are not found.  Aren't you supposed to be able to search for text in Google Drive files  that are linked in a note?

Ever since switching to Chrome Beta, updating a note sometimes produces a new note of the same name and updated contents. Not sure Beta is the culprit - I am also updating with latest Windows and Android versions, both of which recently updated. However, the combination of these three implementations have a problem. Fortunately, no data is lost, but it is a trap for the unwary.

The beta was no good for me. I normally use service on iPad and iPhone, but was on a computer recently (2013 iMac with OSX 10.11) and i kept finding notes that had half or more of content missing. Big waste of time as i have to now remember everything that was in those notes.

I really like this new feature as I am finding myself to be increasingly using products like Google Docs and Google Drive. My only issue thus far with this beta is that I'm no longer able to name any hyperlinks I might want to add. This is what I get: 

ffb2da2e-45da-44af-853e-ac55a1b11f2c

But when I turn the beta off I AM able to name my hyperlinks (in case you haven't gathered this, I LOVE naming my hyperlinks):

Home.action%23n%3Dab04b2ca-f6ce-47ff-907

Is this something that's going to be fixed soon? Or is there a way to still name my hyperlinks while using the beta?

Hey there,

Loving the beta. You guys seem to have changed the indent spacing in the beta (made it larger) so any new indents I create aren't in line with all of my old stuff. Being a perfectionist this is a nightmare haha. Could you make it so all of the old and newly indented content has the same spacing? Ideally the older smaller indent is better given the amount of horizontal space we have to work with on smaller desktops.

keep up the awesome work!

1 hour ago, Encognitus said:

Is there a way to add more than one google drive account? I keep track of several things and the ability to switch between two drive accounts would be great. 

You can switch accounts from the Google Drive site, but Evernote will only link to one account at a time.

Napkin 2 05-31-16, 11.59.34 AM.png

On 5/19/2016 at 1:38 PM, RobertG said:

I've put in links to Google Drive documents into some of my notes.  But when I search for keywords in the Web Beta client, words in those Google Drive files are not found.  Aren't you supposed to be able to search for text in Google Drive files  that are linked in a note?

@RobertG You can search the titles of those documents, but not the text inside the documents.

On 5/21/2016 at 5:08 AM, jimdew said:

Ever since switching to Chrome Beta, updating a note sometimes produces a new note of the same name and updated contents. Not sure Beta is the culprit - I am also updating with latest Windows and Android versions, both of which recently updated. However, the combination of these three implementations have a problem. Fortunately, no data is lost, but it is a trap for the unwary.

Hi @jimdew, the web version will duplicate notes if we detect that there may be a note conflict. This can happen sometimes if you have a slow internet connection - rather than lose any of your changes, we create a new note for you. Do you typically use the web client? This behavior would have existed before.

Archived