REQUEST: Recipes

I had an amazingly simple idea on how to manage recipes with evernote.

What's wrong now? Well if you have more than one recipe in a notebook, you have to go through every single note to find out whether you need a certain ingredient and how much of it. But evernote is so close to being the perfect tool to manage recipes! All it needs is to have a small option to conglomerate list items automatically. And this is exactly what I'm proposing!

So how would this play out?

1. Copy recipe down into new evernote file (preferably on computer).
  2. Select ingredients and hit new list Option "Shopping List" - or something like that.
  3. On your smartphone, navigate to your recipe notebook.
  4. Then hit the bottom right corner and go into display settings for the notebook. There will be a new option besides "Snippets" and "Cards", which is "Shopping List". Hit it.

What's happening now? Let's look behind closed doors:

As soon as you choose this option, Evernote goes through every note in the notebook and looks for items that have been declared as "Shopping-List" items. It then tries to detect items that correspond to the same ingredient and lists them together.

So suppose you need garlic in three of your recipes. After hitting the "Shopping-List" display option for the notebook, you get a list in which all three list items containing the word "garlic" are displayed after one another.

ADDITIONAL REQUEST 1:

Put checkboxes in front of each of the conglomerated items. You can then check off the items you've already bought.

ADDITIONAL REQUEST 2:

Allow for a master list which Evernote uses do determine the order in which the ingredients are listed. This way, you dont have to run back to get apples after you've already passed toilet papers in a shop. You know what I mean?

So how do you like it? I can already imagine other possibilities with this option. But shopping lists are HUGE! It would make my life so much easier.

I use my local grocery store's app for lists because it's integrated with their weekly flyer, digital coupons, etc.

I think this would be a good feature if it was expanded upon for other types of lists as well. My wife and I currently use Wunderlist shared lists for our non grocery shopping lists. Things like if we go to the home improvement store.

Yes, my local grocery store also has such an app. However, it's very time consuming to go trough all the articles and put them together in a shopping list. also, i'd have to do it again every time i go buy something.

I also used Wunderlist for some time. However, it's just not possible to manage more complicated things with it. Now i'm only using evernote.

I'm really looking forward to this feature. It would be of great value to me.

Archived