Highlight tool for Evernote Web

evernotezilla

Idea

45 replies to this idea

I found this quite useful.

Don't expect anything from Evernote.

The last big change here was the ability to nest notes or tags (can't remember which) and that must have been about 18 months ago.

There may be stuff going on "under the hood" but my impression is that the Web version has been effectively abandoned. It is what it is.

Screenshot 2017-06-24 at 11.49.33.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Found a workaround for highlighting in Evernote Web:

When typing 5 exclamation marks it becomes one highlighted exclamation mark like this:

typing: !!!!!

becomes: !

now everything typed afterwards is highlighted, also copied text without formatting (Ctrl+Shift+V) becomes highlighted

hope this helps someone

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can't believe they somehow missed this feature on the web client. It is kinda ridiculous that every other platform (Windows, OSX, Android, etc.) all have this basic feature but somehow the web client missed it. 

The devs acknowledged this about a year ago here: 

And they said that it would be in an upcoming update, but it is still missing.

For now, I have found this work around that allows you to highlight in the Chrome browser: https://018b50e9f8d18d7101ab06801d6e498defde9bdc.googledrive.com/host/0B2tqO6vHrbvgOXlaMEwtT1p1bzA/evernote/index.html

Was pointed here by Evernote on Twitter - this is really important to me and I get frustrated every time I try to use it. It's in the Web Clipper, and I use it there, but if I have to go back later to review something instead of at the time of capture, it's a problem. 

• Like 1

So I found a work around if anyone is interested.  If you highlight something on the mobile app, then access the note on the web, you can copy paste highlighted text elsewhere and then change the text, but keep the highlighting.

Example:

• Previously highlighted text

copy paste

type new words

• New wordsPreviously highlighted text

clean up

• New words

Ta-da!  A dumb work around to perform a function that is mysteriously difficult to implement.  But there it is!

On 11/10/2016 at 7:39 AM, mouse1999 said:

Can anyone from Evernote give us an update on this? I like the web editor, but highlighting ability is essential. Can you provide an ETA on when it will be available?

Thanks!

Mouse1999, I share your frustration.  I've asked about the same thing.  I could not believe that  highlighting, which I believe to be the most common form of annotation, was not provided.  With sorrow, I will tell you that I have concluded that no such capability exists in Evernote nor does the company care at all.  Am I being cynical?  No, just empirical.  This inquiry started 5 months ago.  There may be a similar message thread on this issue elsewhere in the forum.  To date, no employee has resolved this.  What does the company imagine?  No one knows.

You have received an acknowledgement of your request (29th June).

There won't be anything else.

Some people think that that is more or less enough. They will basically tell you this: you have made the request and been thanked, people have voted, Evernote knows that people think the tool is important and that is what this forum is for. You should expect nothing else because Evernote is a business and they naturally may have other priorities beyond those of individual users. In any case, we should not expect them to give any indication of whether a highlighting tool is in the pipeline as that would mean giving information to the opposition. And what would we say if something went wrong and the promised tool never appeared? If you want something better, they suggest, use the stand alone version for Windows or Mac.

They may well be absolutely right. But that does not make many of us feel any better.

Fingers crossed for an absolutely new Web version some time in 2017! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes..that Evernote do something about it...which they won't ...given previous experience.

At the moment we all just have to live with the more than evident shortcomings of an application which, sadly, appears to have been forgotten by the people who created it.

I seriously don't get why Evernote has been ignoring this simple issue of a missing button to highlight text in Evernote Web for years now.

I feels like the whole community is just for show, not having impact at all.

Frustrating to say at least!

• Like 1
On 6/23/2017 at 11:52 PM, Glennie said:

I found this quite useful.

Don't expect anything from Evernote.

The last big change here was the ability to nest notes or tags (can't remember which) and that must have been about 18 months ago.

There may be stuff going on "under the hood" but my impression is that the Web version has been effectively abandoned. It is what it is.

Screenshot 2017-06-24 at 11.49.33.png

This is working for me on Chrome

The way I get around it is to do the !!!! point idea and create a highlight string                           

Then I paste in text into that highlight string as 'paste as plain text' (in windows right click, the option Paste as Plain Text).

Example:

1/12/17 Highlighting in Evernote  

Best solution for power users: another Chrome extension,  AlterNote Editor, allows you to open your notes in a customised version of tinyMCE, a powerful web editor ages ahead of Evernote's.  There you can click on the Background color button to highlight in any color you want, amongst many other added features (you can see div blocks, and edit them and everything else in the HTML code!):

V9cnaN95oq0FqDAZxF2nWh1NyYhtbtqMzW7lq2oddg3tSo4p8mKFVIoio2Ed8ZUrLtG6V6io_g=w640-h400-e365

You can enable autosave in the options now BTW.  Highlightedly recommended!

Just thought I'd check if there was an update to highlighting next on the web version.

I highlight a lot of documents that I read in either Pocket or Kindle for Android. I don't like to highlight on the Android platform because half the screen shows up with the keyboard. But Evernote is my repository for all information, so I have to transfer that information to Evernote.

I am considering hiring a virtual assistant through fiverr to do this for me. In that case, I will need to give the virtual assistant access to my Evernote, probably via the web, and ask them to highlight it for me. However, I can't do that if the tool is not available.

7 minutes ago, Kruger2147 said:

Highlighting is alive and well on Evernote web,it has been for a while now. 

I see no highlight button - what am I missing? (screenshot of what I'm seeing below)

1842514987_ScreenShot2020-10-30at1_43_21PM.thumb.png.45994a029bf6f69624d559b00637e40e.png

9 minutes ago, Kruger2147 said:

Ah, it's in the Evernote Web Beta (which is almost out of Beta). I use it exclusively, it works fantastically.

Do they say how far away from being released? Thanks.

Just now, twf said:

Do they say how far away from being released? Thanks.

Soon™

Kidding aside, it's super stable and fantastic to use. I would try it out for yourself. Click on your name/profile icon, then select Try the New Evernote Web.

10 minutes ago, Kruger2147 said:

Click on your name/profile icon, then select Try the New Evernote Web.

Thank you!! The option was to "Select the New Evernote Web." Then, there was a moving "upload bar" that ran across the top of my browser -- I suspect it was simply transferring my notes to this new platform. And after about a minute, my screen refreshed to the new Evernote Web version. 

It looks incredibly similar to the Desktop version. Yay!! And, the highlight feature is there!! I'm very excited about this. Thanks again.