Evernote, Scansnap, and the Import Folder

I had to reinstall Scansnap after moving up to Windows 10.  In ScanSnap Manager (Standard, Scan to Evernote (Document)), under the Save tab I set the Image Saving Folder to be the same folder as the Import Folder in Evernote.  The result was that I was getting two copies of the scanned note.

But when I change the location of the Image Saving Folder in Scansnap to another folder - any other folder - I get only one scanned note in Evernote and another scanned pdf file in the Scansnap folder.

My question: How does the file get to Evernote if I don't tell Scansnap to send it to Evernote's Import Folder?  Thanks.

(P.S. I realize I'm going to have to clean out the Scansnap folder periodically.)

• Level 5*

I suspect that you were getting two copies, and you are still getting one copy, because the ScanSnap "Scan to Evernote" is sending the file to the EN Cloud Service, or maybe directly to your local EN app, without needing to go through the "Import" folder.

• Level 5*

Are you creating multiple files in one scan?  If so, my experience has been in that instance ScanSnap doesn't close the files immediately after writing, so when EN tries to delete the file after importing it can't because the file is open in ScanSnap.  My interpretation in any case.

I found this when scanning a stack of receipts and separating them to a note per receipt.  Ended up modifying the SS save folder and then copying from that folder to the import folder.  May or may not be the same for you though.

FYI, same thing will happen if you edit a PDF and save it to your import folder.  The next time you start EN you'll get another copy.  EN won't delete it if you have it open.  FWIW.

• 4 months later...

" FYI, same thing will happen if you edit a PDF and save it to your import folder.  The next time you start EN you'll get another copy.  EN won't delete it if you have it open.  FWIW. "

I'm noticing the same issue with EN not deleting the Import Folder files, then doing a second Import. I agree it may be because the file is open.  This seems to be a more recent issue for I have used EN for years and have used the "Save As" on an open PDF to send it to the Import Folder without a problem until recently.  Perhaps EN has become too responsive and need to put a slight delay (a few seconds) in the delete process to allow time to close the file (or just not Import the file if it is open).

I honestly have no idea what folder my Scan to Evernote goes on my ScanSnap, but it is not the import folder, and it gets into Evernote. So if you have it going to the import folder, that explains why you get two copies - one straight from ScanSnap, and one uploaded from the folder. 

So I have no idea how it gets from ScanSnap to Evernote, but it does.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, notetakeingguy said:

I honestly have no idea what folder my Scan to Evernote goes on my ScanSnap

Open Scan Button Settings (typically right click on the ScanSnap icon and select the option).  Select the profile that you are using and select the Save tab.  This should show you where the document is being saved.  FWIW, I created my own profiles so as to avoid any confusion with the built in EN profile.  That and there was something about that profile I didn't care for, but can't remember what it was for the life of me.  :(  But it's been a few years.

ScreenClip.png

Archived