(Archived) Can I write raw ENML on client?

I'd like to write a note with raw ENML tag or embed raw ENML tag on evernote client, windows, MacOS, web.

I can embed 'pre' tag(ENML pre tag) to a sentence when I copy&paste a HTML 'pre' tagged text from a website to client's edit area.

I want to embed or specify

formatted area to evernote manually, for example.

Because I want to make a note for a chip of code and raw data which would be manipulated via evernote's api.

(Tags I want to embed are

and .)

Can I do that?

Thanks in advance.

No, you can't directly edit the internal XML-based ENML data for a note within our client. The service is very strict about the content that it receives from the client to ensure portability of your data everywhere, so if you made a single typo, you'd break the note so that it couldn't synchronize.

If you're very technical, you could create *.enex files on your own computer that you'd import into your client. (If you export a simple note, you could use that as a template.) But this would still require you to make sure that the content follows the strict requirements of the DTD and XML.

• 2 years later...

No, you can't directly edit the internal XML-based ENML data for a note within our client. The service is very strict about the content that it receives from the client to ensure portability of your data everywhere, so if you made a single typo, you'd break the note so that it couldn't synchronize.

If you're very technical, you could create *.enex files on your own computer that you'd import into your client. (If you export a simple note, you could use that as a template.) But this would still require you to make sure that the content follows the strict requirements of the DTD and XML.

It is not that difficult to use standard HTML markup.

• Level 5*

There's an irony here in that there's some kind of unclosed tag in the first post that has caused the rest of this page to appear in a different typeface than is the default. So, yes, it's not that difficult to edit the raw ENML (search the web for ENML edit) and add use standard HTML markup; conversely, it's not that difficult to mess it up. Evernote's cloud servers are a lot less forgiving than your browser...

[Editorial: we cannot post the word 's c r e w' without it being censored? Really?]

• Level 5

A distant memory of writing a would-be ENEX and importing into the Windows client showed me it was at sync time that any failure was detected. I mention this so the OP doesn't think the client's importing it is the definitive test.

• Level 5*

(And somehow, in MY browser, my post above is the first not to end up in a Courier-like font. I'm wondering why.)

I thought that too, with respect to my post, but it wasn't true. Check again. :)

Archived