Bring Atlas back!

Varabaiba

Idea

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, greginfla said:

it is easy to see the major benefit for companies to have their employees have this as an option when sharing notes and viewing notes. 

Er,  no,  it's not.  My question was: what would you use the feature for?  And I got a list of 100 fantastic options that 'everyone' could use.  But mostly,  even when they had the opportunity,  they didn't.  

couldn't remember the topic or attendees, but I could always remember the location and find it with atlas. 

It does occur to me here that if you simply tagged the meeting notes with a location (as in 'London'),  or the What3words location, you'd get the same results...

Do you use this service often? 

Not every day,  but when I'm meeting someone or recording where a photograph was taken from it's invaluable.  There's a mobile app that tells you where you are.

• Like 1

It's perhaps worth reminding people that geographical search is part of the professional tier. You can specify a location and radius and it will bring up all the notes created in that area.

While you cannot see the lattitude and longitude data associated with a note in the desktop clients, it is there. In the mobile versions the location is displayed on a map. The search syntax for longitude and latitude still works and there are various online maps that will calculate the coordinates of any  bounding box you care to draw on screen.

If this was something I used a lot, I would write a simple AHK script that converted the bounding box coordinates to the correct EN search format.

This searches for all notes created in central London:

latitude:51.3726 -latitude:51.5822 longitude:-0.3426 -longitude:0.1291

Atlas was great but it went long before V10. Maybe AI search will allow me to "find all the notes created in London this year". I'm personally underwhelmed by the AI note clean up so we will have to wait and see.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
29 minutes ago, Mike P said:

it will bring up all the notes created in that area.

Hmmn.  Does that require the device location to be switched on?  An app option to be ticked?

19 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  Does that require the device location to be switched on?  An app option to be ticked?

I don't have professional so I don't really know. If I create a  note on my phone it automatically adds the coordinates to the note. I guess I have given the app permission to access GPS. I can only see the location on the map (in note information and only on my phone), not the actual coordinates. The only way that I know of to get the actual coordinates is to export the note and read the enex file with notepad!

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Mike P said:

The only way that I know of to get the actual coordinates is to export the note and read the enex file with notepad!

Again Hmmn...  Agreed I have a link in note information that allows me to set the location,  but it doesn't currently appear to be searchable - other than via ENEX file.  The desktop/ laptop app doesn't have the same functionality.  Even if I set a note's location via the mobile app,  there's no read-back of that location (that I can see) after it's synced with v10.

6 hours ago, gazumped said:

Again Hmmn...  Agreed I have a link in note information that allows me to set the location,  but it doesn't currently appear to be searchable - other than via ENEX file.  The desktop/ laptop app doesn't have the same functionality.  Even if I set a note's location via the mobile app,  there's no read-back of that location (that I can see) after it's synced with v10.

So are you saying that the advanced search syntax approach to finding longitude and latitude that I outlined above is not working for you on the desktop version? I agree that the longitude and latitude are not viewable in the desktop version but I can still search for them (or see it via the enex export)

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Mike P said:

I agree that the longitude and latitude are not viewable in the desktop version

Gotcha.  I tried a search and (as expected) got no results,  but there were no errors either;  guess the search works, but since I haven't been to our dear Capital in a long while,  I don't have any suitably tagged notes.  It's a bit of a restriction though that this content isn't viewable on desktop.  :mellow:

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Just made a search using this search string (changed the numbers in the example):

(latitude:23 -latitude:24) AND (longitude:3 -longitude:4)

It turned up notes as expected that were created on the mobile client. Since it is not my usual place, only a few notes came up, but I think it works. As expected no notes came up created on a laptop at the same location.

Then I opened another note on my iPhone, one created by my Mac client. When you go to note information there, there is no map showing. But it says "Add a location". So I tapped on the map area, a map from Apple Maps showed, and I could zoom in, find the place I had saved the other notes and drop a pin needle there. Closed the Info, Closed the note, it synced, and (thanks to RTE) obviously updated my Mac client in an instant as well.

My next search came back with 1 note more, exactly the one I had geo-localized before.

Which shows: Geographical search works, but you need to know latitude and longitude. And you can add a location to each note (and modify the existing pins as well) using a mobile client. All this works.

But honestly I would never come up with the idea to use THIS process to geolocate meeting notes created on my Mac, and then use geo-search to find them. All this Atlas-hype here is just thin hot air, not taking the system restrictions into account. Just apply a tag, if you want a location tag like "Office" or "London", its the much easier way to tell about a location where the note belongs.

Plus it works as well when you were in the home office while you typed the meeting notes of an event that took place at another location. Maybe some people indeed remember that they met at the Liverpool riverside, but probably not that the meeting notes were typed in Devonshire the day after.

• Like 1