Jump to content

Tags UI Change - and Feature Request


Recommended Posts

Hello Evernote folks,

I understand the thinking behind doing away with the tags "page" and converting to a vertical list.

That being said, however - it would be greatly appreciated if scrolling this long vertical list could be made easier, specifically, by:

  • Modifying application behavior so that when user clicks on the down- or up-scroll section, the list will continue to scroll. 
  • Having to click, and click ... and click ..... and click ...... ad infinitum, is tedious and very frustrating

Thanks for listening.

 

Link to post
  • Evernote Support Staff

Hi. Thanks for posting your comments. I'm going to move this post to the Windows Desktop Feedback Forum so that it can be voted up by other users. 
 

Link to post

Hello - I am really disheartened by the removal of the feature to be able to view tags in a separate page.  I found that feature to be extremely helpful to me in keeping my tags organized, and keeping up with all my tags in general. Moving this to the left navigation bar in a vertical scroll list is not user friendly in my opinion at all and I would respectfully request that you bring back the option for a user to see the tags in the side window as we were able to do before!

Link to post
On 5/6/2016 at 1:37 PM, southernforge said:

Hello Evernote folks,

I understand the thinking behind doing away with the tags "page" and converting to a vertical list.

I don't understand why they made this change.  If it was explained, I missed that conversation.  Can you please post a brief summary of what their thinking is?

Thanks!

Link to post
On 06/05/2016 at 11:56 PM, chapmantx said:

Hello - I am really disheartened by the removal of the feature to be able to view tags in a separate page.  I found that feature to be extremely helpful to me in keeping my tags organized, and keeping up with all my tags in general. Moving this to the left navigation bar in a vertical scroll list is not user friendly in my opinion at all and I would respectfully request that you bring back the option for a user to see the tags in the side window as we were able to do before!

I quite agree, bring back an option for tags page

Link to post
On 06/05/2016 at 0:56 AM, chapmantx said:

Hello - I am really disheartened by the removal of the feature to be able to view tags in a separate page.  I found that feature to be extremely helpful to me in keeping my tags organized, and keeping up with all my tags in general. Moving this to the left navigation bar in a vertical scroll list is not user friendly in my opinion at all and I would respectfully request that you bring back the option for a user to see the tags in the side window as we were able to do before!

I fully agree.

Link to post
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Cuchulain of Muirthemne said:

I'm afraid that it may be too late, I have a 30 GB Database & 3,932 tags

Wow!  That is a lot of tags, even for me.  B)

I use to have about 2,500 tags, but have now reduced that down to about 1,500.  I use EN Mac, and the Evernote UI was of little to no help.
So, I wrote an AppleScript to export tags (with Parent & Note count), that I imported into Excel.  
Edit tags in Excel to delete or assign to different Parent tag.
Then update EN Mac using another AppleScript.

If you, or anyone, is using EN Mac, I'd be glad to share what I have.  It's rough, needs cleanup, but get's the job done.

Link to post
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Cuchulain of Muirthemne said:

I'm afraid that it may be too late, I have a 30 GB Database & 3,932 tags - the screen to manage them was quite poor anyway - but removing it entirely left me astounded.

Was it already too late a month ago when 6.0 was released?

Link to post
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Cuchulain of Muirthemne said:

I'm afraid that it may be too late, I have a 30 GB Database & 3,932 tags - the screen to manage them was quite poor anyway - but removing it entirely left me astounded.

Was it already too late a month ago when 6.0 was released?

Link to post
  • Level 5*

You can wait for the general release of 6.1 or to use the beta, go to Tools - Options - General and check Enable beta features and updates.  Do a check for updates from the Help menu and you should get an option to download the 6.1.1 Prerelease.   It is a beta, but it has been performing okay for me.

Link to post
On 26/05/2016 at 0:56 AM, JMichaelTX said:

Wow!  That is a lot of tags, even for me.  B)

I use to have about 2,500 tags, but have now reduced that down to about 1,500.  I use EN Mac, and the Evernote UI was of little to no help.
So, I wrote an AppleScript to export tags (with Parent & Note count), that I imported into Excel.  
Edit tags in Excel to delete or assign to different Parent tag.
Then update EN Mac using another AppleScript.

If you, or anyone, is using EN Mac, I'd be glad to share what I have.  It's rough, needs cleanup, but get's the job done.

Hi Michael, I'll take you up on that offer. The OC in me had all of my tags in a *super-duper* hierarchical structure that's impossible to keep up with. So, I've been analysing my tag structure lately via the SQLite DB on Windows and created a table that stores the parent and grandparent of the tag - this table I've been looking at in Gephi for insights. Not wanting to lose the info in my tags, I planned on writing some of the key ones in the note_title field - so your AppleScript would be welcome. Interestingly Gephi showed that ~25% of my tags are not in use any more and ~50% are only used to tag one or two notes. My Gephi project is very rough at the moment too - but if you're interested in it let me know. Thanks

/C

t-evernote-gephi-sample.PNG

 

INSERT INTO mig_tag_attr
SELECT
 g.name AS grandparent_name, g.uid AS grandparent_uid,
  p.name AS parent_name, p.uid AS parent_uid,
  c.name AS child_name, c.uid AS child_id,
  g.subtag_count AS total_grandparent_tags,
  p.subtag_count AS total_parent_tags,
  c.subtag_count AS total_child_tags,
  c.note_count AS total_notes_with_tag,
  	c.date_created, 
  	c.date_updated, 
  	c.local_flags, 
  	c.subtag_count, 
  	--c.note_count, 
  	c.is_linked, 
  	c.business_id
FROM tag_attr c, tag_attr p, tag_attr g
WHERE c.parent_uid = p.uid
AND p.parent_uid = g.uid;

 

t-evernote-tag-sample.PNG

t-evernote-gephi-tag_freq.PNG

Link to post
  • Level 5*
On 6/1/2016 at 3:37 AM, Cuchulain of Muirthemne said:

Hi Michael, I'll take you up on that offer. The OC in me had all of my tags in a *super-duper* hierarchical structure that's impossible to keep up with. So, I've been analysing my tag structure lately via the SQLite DB on Windows

Do you use a Mac?  AppleScript runs only on a Mac.

Your Gephi project sounds interesting, but unfortunately I just don't have the time to pursue it at this time.

Link to post
  • 4 weeks later...
On 03/06/2016 at 9:16 AM, JMichaelTX said:

Do you use a Mac?  AppleScript runs only on a Mac.

Your Gephi project sounds interesting, but unfortunately I just don't have the time to pursue it at this time.

Hi Michael,

I have my old Macbook up and running again - I'd be interested in that offer of the Automator / Apple Script is it's still open

Thanks in advance

/C

Link to post
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, Cuchulain of Muirthemne said:

I have my old Macbook up and running again - I'd be interested in that offer of the Automator / Apple Script is it's still open

Yep, the offer is still open.  I just need a few days, maybe a week, to clean it up a bit.  If you haven't heard from me in a week, ping this thread (or PM me).

I don't remember for sure, but it may require OS X 10.10+ (Yosemite).  What OSX does your Macbook run?

Link to post

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...