Tables: Down Key = Right and Left Key = Up. Why?

Quick question about Evernote tables.

When using the keyboard to navigate those tables, why do the up key and the left key BOTH move the cursor into the cell to the left? And why do BOTH the down key and the right key move the cursor to the right?

Shouldn't the UP key move the cursor UP a cell? And shouldn't the DOWN key move the cursor DOWN a cell?

Or am I missing something?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

Or am I missing something?

The only thing you (and all of us) are missing is good UI design for tables.

It is very hard to believe this ever made it past the most basic level of usability testing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2016 at 1:06 PM, JMichaelTX said:

The only thing you (and all of us) are missing is good UI design for tables.

It is very hard to believe this ever made it past the most basic level of usability testing.

Shout out to Evernote employees: Can anybody explain how the whole UP KEY = LEFT and RIGHT KEY = DOWN decision was made? And will any Evernote update make the keys correspond to their names/directions?

On 5/10/2016 at 1:46 PM, Rob Freundlich said:

Agreed.  I'm going to upvote this, under the assumption that the actual idea is "make the arrow keys work as they ought to, UP = UP, DOWN = DOWN, LEFT = LEFT, and RIGHT = RIGHT".

This is the intuitive norm in WYSIWYG programs like MS Word, Pages, Google Docs, etc., isn't it?

I wonder if there is any reason behind Evernote's decision to buck that norm... hopefully they'll answer here. Perhaps there's something special about Evernote tables that makes this something hard to do.

21 hours ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

P.S. @Rob Freundlich and @ JMichaelTX, I would have responded more quickly to your posts, but I did not receive any e-poem notifications about Evernote's forums because, apparently, yet another Evernote glitch has those failing, too.

Yeah, I'm not getting email notifications either, or I would have responded more quickly to your response to my posts :-b

Does any Evernote employee care to chime in? I don't know how often users use tables compared to other features of Evernote, so I get that this may not be the highest priority at the note editor team... but it also seems like a fairly obvious thing to fix...

• 3 months later...

Archived