Outlook clipper - bug - additional whitespace in note title

Hi,

When I clip a note from Outlook to Evernote and I edit the title of the note, two whitespaces are generated everytime I tap the space bar instead of one.

Anybody else have this problem, and maybe a solution ?

Evernote version: 6.0.6.1769

MS Outlook 2013, build 15.0.4779.1001

The bug appeared a few weeks ago (it might have coincided with the switch to Evernote 6.0), and reinstalling Evernote or Outlook did not help.

Thanks in advance for your advice !

David

• Ex Employees

Hi @davidek. Welcome to the forums. Does this issue happen with any email you attempt to clip or just specific ones? Please try to enable/disable the add-in using these steps. 

- In Outlook, select: File>Options>Add-Ins
- On the Add-In's page select "Go" to the right of Manage
- Uncheck "Evernote Clipper for Microsoft Outlook" and "Evernote Outlook Contact Connector"
- Select "OK"
- Select File>Exit to quit Outlook
- Reopen Outlook
- In Outlook, select: File>Options>Add-Ins
- On the Add-In's page select "Go" to the right of Manage
- Check "Evernote Clipper for Microsoft Outlook" and "Evernote Outlook Contact Connector"
 - Select "OK" 

Let us know if the issue continues after disabling/enabling the add-in fixes the issue. 

Hi @Austin G, I followed your suggestion, but the problem still persists after disabling and re-enabling the add-in. It happens on every mail I clip, but only in the "Title" field, not in the comments or tags field. I am attaching a screenshot so you can see the effect. 

screenshot - evernote outlook bug.png

Dear @maxikk, thanks for filing the bug for this issue. Could you share more information about the roadmap for the Outlook clipper, so that I understand better the priority to fix this bug ? What would be your recommendation for transferring Outlook e-mails as notes into Evernote in general ?

Many thanks.

David

• 3 weeks later...

@maxikk Thank you. Is it possible to influence the priority of fixing this bug as a premium Evernote subscriber ? My workflow with Outlook relies on the EN clipper, so if there is no intention to solve it or support clipper in the future, I would rather know now and look into other solutions. 

Please, I would appreciate at least some feedback / advice.

Thank you,

David

I have this too and it's driving me NUTS. I clip Outlook emails through the day into Evernote, and this is making what used to be an (almost) painless task into a pain in the butt.

(I say almost painless because tagging the clips is downright annoying, why doesn't focus shift back to the tag field after pressing Down + Enter to select the tag, so that you can do the next tag....? Come on guys :)

• Level 5*

I've got this pain in the butt too,  and reported it separately in the release thread for 6.1.2 

It is annoying,  but I'm not sure it stops me saving emails.  I use 'smart' titles - with date / type / source / content / keywords in the heading,  and search mainly by "intitle:<stuff>"

I worried that if I search for a phrase like "this particular phrase" Evernote wouldn't find it,  because the title has become spaced out - "this  particular  phrase" - but actually Evernote still does fine.  So.  Basically it looks real bad but I don't think it makes any difference.

Thanks @gazumped ! I didn't realize this, and for me also the titles have a function in my smart lists. So I can at least live with it without messing up those lists. 

Still, as @Wozza mentioned... it is really, really, really annoying ;-) And on top, it doesn't sound like an incredibly difficult bug to fix.

Hoping this still gets fixed soon...

Kind regards,

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  There's a new Clipper in town - latest EN 6.2.1.3048 prerelease install seems to have speeded up email clipping and (I think) killed the extra spaces...!! (and I'm using Office 2013)

+1

Also having this problem. I'm also a premium subscriber.

I've tried installing the EN 6.2.1.3048 prerelease but it has *not* solved the double space problem for me in Outlook 2016.

To reiterate - the problem occurs when clipping an email from Outlook and then editing the note's title. Anytime spacebar is hit while editing the note's title will result in two spaces instead of the expected single space.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Tested again,  and yes,  the two..spaces..for..the..price..of..one heading offer still seems to be running...  Please guys,  can we fix this?  It's a small thing,  but super annoying!

• 3 weeks later...

@Austin G @maxikk We have not heard from Evernote since 2 months on this bug, and this thread is growing (in size and in frustration). This seems like such a simple thing to fix. It is sad that as a paying EN customer (and soon a "paying more" customer if I remain with EN), I am playing around with competitor's products out of frustration with this bug.

I think it would be appropriate if you could let us, users, know when you intend to fix this bug.

Thank you,

David 

• Level 5*

I found a work-around!  The Twofer issue happens in the Outlook new note window.  If you check your browser clipper settings (which affect how the Outlook clipper works too..) make sure you have a tick in "show successful clip dialogue".  This should mean that once you clip from Outlook,  an individual Evernote window will open up for that note.  If you edit the title (and any other details) in that note,  you just get the one space...

Slight change to workflow,  but now a happy(ier) Evernote user.

As to timescales,  it's not the fixing of a bug that's usually the problem - it's finding the cause and making sure a fix won't derail more than you expect.  Evernote aren't (usually) keen to make delivery predictions...

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

I found a work-around!  The Twofer issue happens in the Outlook new note window.  If you check your browser clipper settings (which affect how the Outlook clipper works too..) make sure you have a tick in "show successful clip dialogue".  This should mean that once you clip from Outlook,  an individual Evernote window will open up for that note.  If you edit the title (and any other details) in that note,  you just get the one space...

Slight change to workflow,  but now a happy(ier) Evernote user.

As to timescales,  it's not the fixing of a bug that's usually the problem - it's finding the cause and making sure a fix won't derail more than you expect.  Evernote aren't (usually) keen to make delivery predictions...

Thanks for sharing. That works well enough for me for now. Cheers :^)

• 4 weeks later...

I just updated to the beta version 6.3.1.3370 (303370) Prerelease which seems to finally fix the problem for me. 

Now when I clip to Evernote from Outlook 2016 connected to Exchange via Office365 I no longer get double spaces as I add text to the note's title. Excellent. Finally.

12 minutes ago, rfdowden said:

I just updated to the beta version 6.3.1.3370 (303370) Prerelease which seems to finally fix the problem for me. 

Now when I clip to Evernote from Outlook 2016 connected to Exchange via Office365 I no longer get double spaces as I add text to the note's title. Excellent. Finally.

Hurray ! I can confirm. Just downloaded 303370 and the problem is solved with Outlook 2016 and Office 2016 on Windows 7 Enterprise.

David

2 Premium users here as well - this issue has been driving me and coworker nuts....not nuts enough to install beta though (just upgraded to 6.2.4.3244 - 303244 Public, confirmed issue is still there).  We will eagerly await this fix making it into the public release!Evernote Issue.png

Archived