(Archived) Two BIG improvements for Evernote

First, I use Evernote to handle many aspects of my business and have notebooks for various things like New Calls, Estimates, Estimates Pending, Jobs, Billing, various notebooks for resources that I use in my business such as reference material. However, I am also an avid gardener and I have to mix my notebooks for gardening with my business. Evernote needs to find a way to separate groups of notebooks from one another by allowing them to be stored in virtual file cabinets of some sort. This way, I can have all my business stuff together and all my personal or gardening notebooks together. So for example, if I had a gardening only page, I could have a notebook for each vegetable I grow and keep all the data and info for each vegetable in its notebook. As it is, I cannot do this because it would be cluttered with all my other notebooks for business. What do you think?

Second, Evernote MUST make it possible in future versions to arrange notebooks according to the users preference. As it its I have to give names to notebooks in order for them to show up at the top. Like "1-New Calls" for my business. I would rather just be able to arrange notebooks in the order of my choice for how I prefer to access them.

Evernote needs to find a way to separate groups of notebooks from one another by allowing them to be stored in virtual file cabinets of some sort. What do you think?

Notebooks already are a "virtual file cabinet." If anyone is overly concerned about a work colleague seeing any personal notes (springboarding on Dave Engberg's example, you do a search at work (with five colleagues looking over your shoulder) on the word "boss" & it lists your note "10 reasons I hate my boss"), then it's simply best to have two entirely different accounts.

Second, Evernote MUST make it possible in future versions to arrange notebooks according to the users preference. As it its I have to give names to notebooks in order for them to show up at the top. Like "1-New Calls" for my business. I would rather just be able to arrange notebooks in the order of my choice for how I prefer to access them.

The notebooks I access most often are prefaced with an underscore, so they appear at the top of the list & easily navigated to. Beyond that, I don't need a numbering system or a particular b/c I simply look for the name of the notebook.

• Level 5*

Notebooks don't organize conveniently -- there's no hierarchy, so you get a single list. Tags can be nested in the Tags list, and that can make things more convenient.

So I'd recommend that you really should have a single Business notebook, but with tags for New Calls, Estimates, Estimates Pending, Jobs, Billing and the like, and a single Gardening notebook. For items that overlap both your business and gardening, use the same tag so that the items, while be located in one or the other notebook, can still be searchable using the 'All Notebooks' Notebook list item. Separate notebooks for each vegetable also sounds like overkill. Why not keep them in the same notebook, and tag appropriately. To reduce clutter in the Tags list, you could create a Vegetables tag, and store the individual vegetable tags underneath them.

Just my opinion,

~Jeff

.... then it's simply best to have two entirely different accounts.

you've got to be kidding.

how about this: how about passwordlocking a notebook - so it is excluded from search when locked?

no, of course - 2 accounts ist the most logic way to go. hilarious.

• Level 5*

Good grief, not me -- I only have two notebooks, for heaven's sake, and one of those is only for testing Evernote stuff. I gotta keep it simple, way simple.

~Jeff

Archived