Forum email notifications down

We are working through a few issues with our email service, where links back to forum-generated emails are pointing to a dead page and notification-generated emails are down. Will update this thread once this is resolved. Thank you for your patience. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 4/28/2016 at 3:34 PM, gbarry said:

We are working through a few issues with our email service,

@gbarry:  This is most unusual.  It has now been over a month, and I'm not receiving any email notifications to subscribed forums and topics.

This is a very standard feature in almost all forum software.  I've never seen an outage in other forum sites that lasted more than a day or so.  Is anyone actually working on resolving this issue, or have you turned your attention elsewhere?

• 2 weeks later...

On 6/6/2016 at 8:13 PM, JMichaelTX said:

@gbarry:  This is most unusual.  It has now been over a month, and I'm not receiving any email notifications to subscribed forums and topics.

This is a very standard feature in almost all forum software.  I've never seen an outage in other forum sites that lasted more than a day or so.  Is anyone actually working on resolving this issue, or have you turned your attention elsewhere?

Given that there has been no update since May 18th, I guess they've turned their attention elsewhere.

If they're busy fixing Evernote bugs instead of forum bugs, I'm all for it!

• Level 5*

From a couple of things I heard recently,  I think everyone's been very busy fixing things in general.  The forum issue isn't an easy one,  so it's been hovering midway down the the 'to do' pile for a while.  Evernote is still looking at it. 

I went through my 'follow' settings a couple of times trying to jump start something with no success - I guess we'll just have to wait for a magic wand fix.  Meantime there's Activity Streams,  and Unread Topics...

But I still miss my emails...  :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On April 28, 2016 at 1:34 PM, gbarry said:

We are working through a few issues with our email service, where links back to forum-generated emails are pointing to a dead page and notification-generated emails are down. Will update this thread once this is resolved. Thank you for your patience. 

I don't think I ever stopped receiving notifications
I seem to have notification of every post in the Pricing discussion

• Level 5*

Well,  most of us that had the service drop have seen it come back (at exactly the wrong time if you ask me...;)) but if you're still having issues,  try mentioning @gbarry in a post (like I just did) to grab his attention.  Also see whether you get an alert in the next 12 hours or so because I posted in this thread!

• Level 5*
On July 1, 2016 at 2:54 PM, gbarry said:

Notifications are back on! Let me know if you run into issues. 

1 hour ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

Still not receiving any forum email notifications. Nothing in any of my inboxes, spam, trash, etc. 

Likewise
Seems to have stopped just when @gbarry said the service was restored

Hmmmm. Obligatory request, but I'd check your spam and/or email accounts tied to forum login. The new email service is showing 68K generated over the weekend. It's possible we're hitting some daily overages that are impacting notifications, which I'll be reviewing today. The price change thread alone generates several hundred with each reply, so that's...significant. I may close that at some point and directly link to a new thread just to tamp down on needless notification emails.

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, gbarry said:

I may close that at some point and directly link to a new thread just to tamp down on needless notification emails.

Oh yeah.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, gbarry said:

Hmmmm. Obligatory request, but I'd check your spam and/or email accounts tied to forum login. The new email service is showing 68K generated over the weekend. It's possible we're hitting some daily overages that are impacting notifications, which I'll be reviewing today. The price change thread alone generates several hundred with each reply, so that's...significant. I may close that at some point and directly link to a new thread just to tamp down on needless notification emails.

Thanks - I found the notes in my spam folder

• Level 5*
On July 8, 2016 at 5:32 AM, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  @gbarry - Is something going on?  My emails stopped again... :( (Or at least I've had none for 36 hours which is 'unusual' for the forum...)

Same Here - Last email was 2016/07/07 at 9:41am

• Level 5*

@gbarry:  I'm curious to know what the underlying issue is with email notifications that is taking Evernote months to resolve, so if I ever have the misfortune of encountering it elsewhere I'll know where to look for the problem.

It is really mysterious, since email notifications have been a basic part of forum for decades now.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Stephanie C. said:

My notifications are woking again.

Notifications are back for me too.  I'll have to work at getting them out of my junk mail folder

@JMichaelTX switch in vendors after our previous email vendor closed up shop, and I've been running through the appropriate channels to get payments going correctly, operations ownership of the account, etc. We should be good to go now and I'm monitoring volume from our shiny new service. 

I'm also noticing the disjointed nature of notifications at the moment, which I'm attributing to backlog. Or the price change thread has gotten so long the forum doesnt know what to do with them anymore. Let's let it ride for a day or two and if it's still a problem I'll open a ticket with our hosts. 

• Level 5

I'm getting notifications, more than I want in fact. I went to my settings (https://discussion.evernote.com/notifications/options/), and they are as shown. I'd think this would keep me from getting e-mails for every post in a thread I'm following, but they keep coming. Maybe I'll give it another day or two for the settings to settle in.

Evernote forum settings.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, jordyk said:

Is anyone else having issues with notifications still? Unfortunately I'm still not receiving them at all...

Notifications are working,  but not as advertised - like I suspect @Dave-in-Decatur I seem to be getting a big chunk of notifications for a lot of posts that get added,  though I'm not sure that includes all of them...

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, jordyk said:

Is anyone else having issues with notifications still? Unfortunately I'm still not receiving them at all...

I am getting notifications but they seem to be delayed.  Also, there seem to be batches of yesterday's posts that show up in my unread in the forum after I have read everything.

Archived