Evernote won't open on my Mac OSX 10.9.5

Evernote won't open on my Mac OSX 10.9.5. This has never happened before. When I open the Activity Monitor it says "Evernote not responding" so then I did a Force Quit and tried to open it again but it still won't open. Any ideas for why it won't open?

Thank you

In this case you can update Evernote by downloading a new version from our website here, and simply replace the older version with the newer one within your Applications folder. If you downloaded Evernote from the Mac App Store, restart your Mac to fully quit Evernote and go to Mac App Store > Updates. 

• 5 months later...

Hi, I also had the same problem.  I downloaded the updated Evernote -- big mistake.  Now I have a message that I need OSX 10.10 for it to work.  Unfortunately I've been advised by Apple to not download 10.10 it on my old mac :[  I'm guessing I just use Evernote web until I can buy a new computer, or is there a way to get an older version of Evernote back?

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, Michelwow said:

Hi, I also had the same problem.  I downloaded the updated Evernote -- big mistake.  Now I have a message that I need OSX 10.10 for it to work.  Unfortunately I've been advised by Apple to not download 10.10 it on my old mac :[  I'm guessing I just use Evernote web until I can buy a new computer, or is there a way to get an older version of Evernote back?

46 minutes ago, magentawave1 said:

Michelwow   That is strange because I'm running the latest version of Evernote 6.8 (453748 Direct) on OSX 10.9.5 with no problems. Which Mac OS are you using now?

The latest Evernote version is 6.10 Beta 3
The Evernote site and iTunes are currently delivering version 6.9.2

@Michelwow - Can you advise what version you want to downgrade to and we'll see about locating a download site
Possibly version 6.8 at

Warning: There were a couple of database upgrades - you may have to delete your database and let it be rebuilt from the servers.  Note: The rebuild does not cover local notebooks or unsynced notes

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, CarlN said:

These are the messages I keep getting for months now after downloading the newest version.

I don't spend much time troubleshooting my devices
My process is

1. Reboot the device; it soves many problems
  2. Delete the app and reinstall
  3. Delete the app and database and reinstall
    The database will be rebuilt from the servers (except for local notebooks and unsynced notes)
    The app AppCleaner is recommended to clear Evernote files completely and give a fresh start
17 hours ago, DTLow said:

I don't spend much time troubleshooting my devices
My process is

1. Reboot the device; it soves many problems
  2. Delete the app and reinstall
  3. Delete the app and database and reinstall
    The database will be rebuilt from the servers (except for local notebooks and unsynced notes)
    The app AppCleaner is recommended to clear Evernote files completely and give a fresh start

These are the messages I keep getting for months now after downloading the newest version.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, CarlN said:

How would I delete database?

I mentioned the AppCleaner app

To do it manually, you need to locate the database

- On my Mac, I click About Evernote, then hold the option keyUntitled.jpeg

A link appears for the database folder 

• 2 weeks later...

looks like I have a totally different problem. Evernote opened, it shows it's name in the menu bar with two items - "Evernote" and "Edit", both are working... but this is it... no notes, no any window, no even a hint where and what could be. I tried to uninstall the version 6.8 that I had before but couldn't find the installation of it anywhere, 6.10 wouldn't work on mac os x 10.9.5 so I installed 6.7.1... the same result... in activity monitor it shows as running, taking 0% of the CPU power... would appreciate any suggestions...

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, linbs said:

looks like I have a totally different problem. Evernote opened, it shows it's name in the menu bar with two items - "Evernote" and "Edit", both are working... but this is it... no notes, no any window, no even a hint where and what could be. 

Can you post a screenshot

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, linbs said:

looks like I have a totally different problem. Evernote opened, it shows it's name in the menu bar with two items - "Evernote" and "Edit", both are working... but this is it... no notes, no any window, no even a hint where and what could be. I tried to uninstall the version 6.8 that I had before but couldn't find the installation of it anywhere, 6.10 wouldn't work on mac os x 10.9.5 so I installed 6.7.1... the same result... in activity monitor it shows as running, taking 0% of the CPU power... would appreciate any suggestions...

Thanks for the screenshot - it shows exactly what you said

One idea, before referring you to Evernote Support  Contact Evernote Support Twitter @evernotehelps       

Reboot your device

• 11 months later...
  • Level 5*
On 2017-12-03 at 7:49 AM, hillscottc said:

Same problem for me.

1 hour ago, kunalbansaliiit said:

I have updated to the evernote version 6.13.1 on my mac (macOS Sierra 10.12.6) and now it is not opening. In the activity monitor I can see it running but on my desktop, it is not opening. Kindly suggest what to do?

Here's a link to my solution process

Same problem here, 10.13.2 mac high sierra, and evernote 6.13.1.... app appears to be open, with the menu bar showing the evernote options but i have a similar desktop view to the above..... none of the app is actually visible, only the menu bar. I have rebooted, reinstalled the app and done all i know. I live by evernote, help!!!  

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, JRRS1982 said:

Same problem here, 10.13.2 mac high sierra, and evernote 6.13.1.... app appears to be open, with the menu bar showing the evernote options but i have a similar desktop view to the above..... none of the app is actually visible, only the menu bar. I have rebooted, reinstalled the app and done all i know. I live by evernote, help!!!  

• 1 year later...

Archived