Yet another backup question, this time with android

I have Evernote on my phone. Blocked off from internet by a firewall so that notes do not sync into the clouds. Now I decided to back up the notes, so I looked for a .exb file.

To do that I used the following commands:

C:\Users\User> adb shell
shell@MyPhone:/ $ su
su
root@myPhone:/ # ls -R | grep -i '\.exb$'
ls -R | grep -e -i '\.exb$'
root@myPhone:/ # ls -R | grep -i -e *.exb
ls -R | grep -e -i *.exb

Neither command finds any files. I can find other file types, but not this one. Where can I find the notes on my Android phone and back them up?

Hello @Flock of meese,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the forums. While the desktop clients for Evernote store a local database file, Evernote on Android does not have a local database file which can be accessed. Everything is essentially saved into the application itself. The only way to back them up or to move them to another device would be to allow them to sync to the Evernote application and then move those documents to a local notebook using the Evernote application on Windows or Mac if you do not wish them to be available across all devices.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, Flock of meese said:

I have Evernote on my phone. Blocked off from internet by a firewall so that notes do not sync into the clouds. Now I decided to back up the notes, so I looked for a .exb file

Is the internet block permanent full time?

I wouldn't be too concerned about a phone backup if you can get to an Internet connection often so your phone gets sync'd to the web servers.

>>I looked for a .exb file.

.exb file is a Windows thing.  Not applicable to the other platforms.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Is the internet block permanent full time?

I wouldn't be too concerned about a phone backup if you can get to an Internet connection often so your phone gets sync'd to the web servers.

>>I looked for a .exb file.

.exb file is a Windows thing.  Not applicable to the other platforms.

I blocked it specifically to prevent notes from leaking into networks.

2 hours ago, Matt W. said:

Hello @Flock of meese,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the forums. While the desktop clients for Evernote store a local database file, Evernote on Android does not have a local database file which can be accessed. Everything is essentially saved into the application itself. The only way to back them up or to move them to another device would be to allow them to sync to the Evernote application and then move those documents to a local notebook using the Evernote application on Windows or Mac if you do not wish them to be available across all devices.

Thank you for help, Matt.
As it happens, I found the notes in /data/data/com.evernote/files/user-#########/notes.

They are saved in HTML, there are also saved drafts and previously deleted notes, which is pretty scary. I’ll have to take a look and see how to put those back in so they will be accessible, and come up with a good solution to purge the deleted notes so that they do not linger in the file system. I wonder if /data/data/com.evernote/databases/ will come in handy with that. I know I’ll want to somehow prevent analytics, but evernote_jobs looks promising.

Also will need to stash away current version’s installer and executables somewhere in case future versions start coming with built-in AES encryption and keys served from the remote server.

Archived