Evernote IOS won't open

I am seriously freaking out here. 

I I recently upgraded to Evernote Plus so I could work offline. Everything was fine until last Thursday when I was working on a plane (offline) and when I tried to get into the app once I landed to sync to wifi and the app wouldn't open. 

I have tried everything: shutting off my phone, rebooting my phone, closing all apps and then rebooting/restarting, trying to open Evernote in airplane mode/wifi only/cell only. The weird thing is that when I click on the app it brings up an all green screen before crashing to the home screen. However when I double tap home to see open apps, Evernote shows up with the main screen (shortcuts, notes, etc) and my most recent unsynced note is listed at the top. But tapping the screen crashes the app again. 

I've contacted support and so far they haven't been very helpful. Is there anything I can do to save my work? I don't want to delete the app and lose my info. Is there anything I can do????

• Ex Employees

Hi there - I grabbed your support ticket so we can continue working on this via email. If we are able to find a solution that might benefit others in the same situation, I will update this post accordingly. 

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Nikhi said:

Is there anything I can do to save my work? I don't want to delete the app and lose my info. Is there anything I can do????

There are several iOS / Mac / Windows apps that allow you to read the info stored on your iOS device.

You might do a search on "transfer ios app data to mac" or similar.  Here is one example (I have NOT used it):
iMazing | iPhone, iPad & iPod Manager for PC & Mac. Transfer, Copy, Backup Music, Files, Apps & Messages. (was DiskAid) 

I'm having a similar issue. That is green splash screen and then it disappears. However, Evernote appears in the iOS double home app stack. Also note the app stack screen is showing the wrong date. It's showing a note I created a week ago as today. Also, that note is not on the server. So unbeknownst to me Evernote's iOS app has not been syncing. 

Lastly, the iOS app failing is a reason that Evernote should not disable access to the web app on iOS Safari. You should not prevent someone from accessing their notes. Access from anywhere via the browser should be a core value of Evernote. 

• Ex Employees

@rkv Are you still experiencing this issue? While we don't recommend using the mobile web version (to avoid note or setting conflicts), in times like these you can access the web app in iOS Safari by using desktop mode - go to evernote.com, then hold the refresh button and select 'Request Desktop Site'. This should allow you to sign in and view your notes. 

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, annah said:

@rkv we don't recommend using the mobile web version (to avoid note or setting conflicts)

Could you expand on the "note or setting conflicts".  Would this be any different than the risk from using web and desktop platforms on my Mac?

4 hours ago, annah said:

@rkv Are you still experiencing this issue? 

Yes, I am using iOS 9.3.1 and Evernote iOS app will not launch. I see Evernote green splash screen and then it vaporizes. iOS variant has some notes which are on my iPhone but have not been synched to my web or Mac accounts. I haven't tried deleting the Evernote iOS app yet. I had been hoping you might push through an update which resolved the issue. I suspect deleting the app will fix it. Although, I would presumably loose the notes which are on iOS. If it comes to that I can take screen captures on my iPhone an re-enter those notes.

The problem has now resolved itself. I can open Evernote on my iPhone and the notes which previously were only visible on iOS are now on the server.

The only thing different I did was that after an earlier failure to open Evernote using the iOS search feature, Evernote was visible in the multitasking application stack. When I picked it from there it opened. Once opened I was able to see the previously missing from the server notes and those notes were now on the server.

• Ex Employees

@DTLow Using the web and Mac desktop application simultaneously would have the same risk of note conflicts. We wanted to reduce this risk on iOS, and in addition encourage users to use the mobile app which is a better experience. However as I mentioned above, for situations where you need to verify if your notes are on the server, the web app is still accessible on iOS using desktop mode on Chrome or Safari. 

@rkv Glad to hear it. We fixed another crashing issue (what the original poster was experiencing) in 7.13.1 - see release notes here: 

The new version 7.13.1 make Evenote on my iPhone crash at start. Before it worked without any problems. After the update it shows up for a split second and then closes. Just as described above.

I have tried deleting evernote on the iPhone (newest iOS) and installing it again from scratch. And it still crashes the first time i start it !?

How can that be ... there should be no connection or data !?

I need an update or back to previous version.

Kind regards

Christian

19 hours ago, ChristianJacobsen said:

The new version 7.13.1 make Evenote on my iPhone crash at start. Before it worked without any problems. After the update it shows up for a split second and then closes. Just as described above.

I have tried deleting evernote on the iPhone (newest iOS) and installing it again from scratch. And it still crashes the first time i start it !?

How can that be ... there should be no connection or data !?

I need an update or back to previous version.

Kind regards

Christian

This is strange ... Another app did show the same behavior... So I decided to reboot the phone. Then Evernote worked again ... :)

So forget the problem. Just reboot the phone and it might be gone.

• 8 months later...
36 minutes ago, ipbchigi said:

I held down the Evernote icon until the X came up then I deleted Evernote icon.I then reloaded Evernote icon and the program worked fine.

THANK YOU!!!!! I was afraid to try that one because it says that data will be deleted, but I am sure it's on the web, so we're safe. I'll do that. Best regards,

I have the same problem of failure to open for the first time on my iPad. This began on 1/18/2017 the same date I read about the Evernote update. Is there a connection? I've read the posts about deleting the icon and then reloading but am very worried about losing all my data. I do have the same data on my PC but don't quite know how to transfer it to the iPad. Are you sure I'll lose my data from the iPad if I delete and reload?

If your Evernote data is backed up to the cloud you won't lose the data when you delete the icon from your phone or computer and reinstall the Evernote icon.I had a situation where I thought I had lost files and notebooks but when deleted and reinstalled the icon they were all Ther!

The problem with this good advice is that I can't get my Evernote backup to display on my iCloud Drive (or any other app for that matter). My storage says there's plenty of space left out of the first 5000 free on the iPad. And I'm assuming that once in the iCloud Drive I'll be able to move the data to the new download. Also, none of this would be necessary if I could figure out how to export the same data from my PC but that's another unsolved mystery. Finally, I would have thought by now that an Evernote tech would have responded to my post since it was Evernote 's update that caused the problem in the first place. Thanks for bearing with me.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jjlombardi said:

The problem with this good advice is that I can't get my Evernote backup to display on my iCloud Drive (or any other app for that matter). 

I think the "backed up to the cloud" refers to the master version of your notes stored on the Evernote servers and updated whenever you sync. Even without the client software, it can be accessed via a browser at www.evernote.com

>>if I could figure out how to export the same data from my PC but that's another unsolved mystery
The windows/mac platforms have a simple export feature with a choice of xml/html format

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, aumanzor said:

Question: Do we need to do a separate back up of the data? or being online is enough?

Define need

I wouldn't get stressed over it.  
You already have one level of backup with the Evernote servers
You could implement another level, then another, then another ....
I described my backups here

One point about the sync process - if you delete a note or contents; the deletion gets synced to the Evernote servers and all our devices

Sorry, I did not define "need". I read a post above that they back up their data. I did not know if besides our data being "safe" in Evernote's servers was good enough protection, or should I do a personal back up? I can't even find how to back up my data. 

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, aumanzor said:

Sorry, I did not define "need". I read a post above that they back up their data. I did not know if besides our data being "safe" in Evernote's servers was good enough protection, or should I do a personal back up? I can't even find how to back up my data. 

Actually I was being facetious.  Everyone has different levels of "need" to feel secure about their backups

Some people will say I don't need the backups I'm running; others will say I need more

I can only say it works for me; and it's automatic so I don't actually have to do anything

I would still sleep well if I had no backups and just relied on Evernote

For an iPad only solution, I'd recommend cloudHQ

This has just happened to me today on two iOS devices concurrently. Old iPad mini v 9.3.5 and iPhone 7+  v10.2. Never happened before. I have rebooted etc. I have read above comments and am surprised Evernote has not been more responsive. They must have found problem + solution by now. Evernote-- please advise. Evernote is now unusable for me and this will considerably impact my business. I'm using a paid version but can't access to get details. 

I have the same problem as mentioned previously by others.  I just updated to 8.0.2. It did not solve the problem. Please advise.  Any electronic note taking app  absolutely must be as reliable as pen and paper, AND as quickly accessed. I had to scramble for pen and paper when Evernote would not open. I lost several important points during that presentation.

I have a screenshot of what I see just after opening Evernote. The screen goes back to the home screen immediately after this.

iPad 4 (iPad 3 with lightning connector), 16GB, iOS 10.2

I just don't know why EN has not responded to all of our complaints about the 8.0.2 up date. It has been a disaster. I think I've figured out why I can't open EN on my iPad. It's because the update removed it and unilaterally transferred EN to another device (Kindle Fire) which was not one of the 2 devices (iPad and PC) I selected when to EN limited me some time ago. Moreover, after the update when I go to EN I get a much different platform that only lists one file at a time plus data I have not sent. Even more irritating, the screen index of my notebooks does not disappear after my choice to open one is made. The time worn expression "If it ain't broke why fix it" applies here. I would like to return to pre 8.0.2 times? In the meantime I am afraid to invoke the delete and reload advice I have been getting from these posts. Is the EN team out there?

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, jjlombardi said:

I just don't know why EN has not responded to all of our complaints about the 8.0.2 up date.

You should be monitoring the release discussion.  The work is ongoing

1 hour ago, jjlombardi said:

I just don't know why EN has not responded to all of our complaints about the 8.0.2 up date. It has been a disaster. I think I've figured out why I can't open EN on my iPad. It's because the update removed it and unilaterally transferred EN to another device (Kindle Fire) which was not one of the 2 devices (iPad and PC) I selected when to EN limited me some time ago. Moreover, after the update when I go to EN I get a much different platform that only lists one file at a time plus data I have not sent. Even more irritating, the screen index of my notebooks does not disappear after my choice to open one is made. The time worn expression "If it ain't broke why fix it" applies here. I would like to return to pre 8.0.2 times? In the meantime I am afraid to invoke the delete and reload advice I have been getting from these posts. Is the EN team out there?

It worked for me, I deleted de App from my iPhone and redownloaded and it's working. As far as other problems, I have not noticed anything unusual. 

10 minutes ago, aumanzor said:

The only problem I can't figure out is the "red warning" that indicates there is one message won't disappear. I have no idea where to look for messages. I use an iPhone.

If by "red warning" you mean the red badge on the app icon with a number, it's for unchecked or uncleared reminders. Reminders are under All Notes in the Notebook list. 

Just now, jim.g said:

If by "red warning" you mean the red badge on the app icon with a number, it's for unchecked or uncleared reminders. Reminders are under All Notes in the Notebook list. 

YES!!! that's what I meant. I see now, it's for "reminders". I accidentally set up reminders and now, I should remove them. Thank you so much!!!

I have same issue. Looks like since the iPhone app has updated to v8.0.2 it will not open. Tries to open but no green screen and just returns me to the iPhone screen. Double clicking on the home button shows it's there, but I still can't access it.  More like nevernote at the moment to be honest. Help!!

16 hours ago, Jufox said:

I have same issue. Looks like since the iPhone app has updated to v8.0.2 it will not open. Tries to open but no green screen and just returns me to the iPhone screen. Double clicking on the home button shows it's there, but I still can't access it.  More like nevernote at the moment to be honest. Help!!

With the same problem, I followed their suggestion to delete the Icon from the iPhone and go back to the App store and re-install and it's working fine for me. You delete the App by holding down one App for a couple of seconds and them press on the 'X" by the EN App.

• Level 5*
Just now, jjlombardi said:

You made your point but wasn't your data deleted at the same time?!

Deleting/reinstalling the app on an IOS device has no impact on your data.  Your data exists on the EN servers.

2 minutes ago, jjlombardi said:

You made your point but wasn't your data deleted at the same time?!

All your data is stored on the EN servers, so nothing there is deleted and once the new app is installed, all your data is downloaded into the new app.

Evernote now will not open on my I phone 5 I am running IOS 10.2.1

It opens and immediately closes.

I works on my I pad 2 using IOS 9.3.5    It used to work on the phone but now doesn't open at all.

Very frustrating.

Sounds like a storage problem.Call your carrier and buy more storage.Meanwhile you can backup all photos and videos to iCloud and the cloud then erase them from your device to save space.Check in settings to see how much space you have available currently.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, AlanY said:

Evernote now will not open on my I phone 5 I am running IOS 10.2.1

15 hours ago, Linda Friedman said:

Both my wife's iPad and IPhone have the problem of Evernote green splash screen and then it vaporizes. Nothing seems to work

Problems have been reported with the latest release

My resolution process would be

- Reboot your device

- Delete and reinstall the app

I've read a series of posts about this but was afraid to delete and restore. Here's what finally worked on my iPad. I deleted the app and then tried to download a new app. I could only get an app that had no "Get" button and so it just sat there and added to my frustration. BUT then I pressed a tiny cloud icon (who knew?) on the app and VOILA, the new app opened, all my data was restored with it and I was very happy. I hope this works for all of you too.

• 6 months later...
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Ashley4Ever said:

I've tried rebooting my iphone but it won't work.

As per other posts, I woul delete the app and reinstall

• 5 months later...

My desktop app won't open anymore. I am on an iMac with most recent software. My Evernote app bounces in doc, but does not open. Terrified to delete it and reinstall because I have a good chunk of my life on there. Can't find anything that helps in support threads. Please help.

• 3 months later...

Evernote stopped working on my iPhone 6 but I upgraded this morning to an iPhone 7. Evernote does not work on the new phone either. It opens, I see my most recent notes for a few seconds. Then the screen goes black and a few seconds later it shuts down completely.

It works fine on my iPad 2 Air and also works well on my Mac.

Help!!!

• Level 5*
On 5/15/2018 at 11:50 AM, oma5 said:

Evernote does not work on the new phone either. It opens, I see my most recent notes for a few seconds.

I don't spend a lot of time troubleshooting my devices.
My solution is to delete the app and reinstall.  If necessary, I reboot the device.

Archived