How to Upgrade to v6 using existing database?

My database is in a specific custom folder.

I installed v6 (after completely removing v5 except for database folder) and started Evernote. To my surprise, it will not use my existing database. Instead it creates a subfolder called "databases" in my existing "databases" folder and insists on creating a new exb file by syncing with the web, thereby losing all my local content (notebooks and notes).

How can I make it use my real database?

• Level 5

By default Evernote keeps your data in C:\Users\<username>Local Settings\Evernote -- this folder has subfolders like Databases, Logs, etc.

Evernote data path can be specified by registry variable HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/EvernotePath, if it's set to D:\Evernote, your data will be in D:\Evernote\Databases, D:\Evernote\Logs, etc.

Evernote databases path can be also overridden by HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/DatabasePath

Hope this helps.

• Level 5*

You can also sign out of EN (File - Sign out username) then start EN again.  You will get a sign in splash page.  Click on Evernote - Options and change the Evernote local files to the location of your data base..  Click OK and then sign in.

33 minutes ago, csihilling said:

You can also sign out of EN (File - Sign out username) then start EN again.  You will get a sign in splash page.  Click on Evernote - Options and change the Evernote local files to the location of your data base..  Click OK and then sign in.

Ah, I didn't know about that. I'll check it out. Thanks.

39 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

By default Evernote keeps your data in C:\Users\<username>Local Settings\Evernote -- this folder has subfolders like Databases, Logs, etc.

Evernote data path can be specified by registry variable HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/EvernotePath, if it's set to D:\Evernote, your data will be in D:\Evernote\Databases, D:\Evernote\Logs, etc.

Evernote databases path can be also overridden by HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/DatabasePath

Hope this helps.

I found the answer quite abruptly this morning - in fact, it woke me up!  It was my error. I entered my database location by including xyz/evernote/databases rather than stopping at xyz/evernote. 

Once I got that right I was able to restore my backup database, and then I just did an an upgrade to v6 directly from the program and all is fine.

Thanks for the responses kvitekp and csihilling.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, Hauke Hansen said:

Where can I find the registry file to change the registry variable HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/EvernotePath?

Seems quite a hidden way for a simple preference change ...

I don't know why @kvitekp suggested using a registry change, though perhaps that's because I don't fully understand the original issue from a couple of years ago. If you just want to designate a folder other than the default for your database, you can do Tools > Options > General, and then under "Evernote local files", click the Change button. After you click OK, Evernote will immediately start the migration, so be sure you've got the folder you want!

• Like 1