"Created Date" hidden in latest Windows version?

The "created date" was previously available in the header of a note and therefore easy to change or update. At the moment in v6 I believe the only option to find it is by adding the "info" shortcut to the taskbar of a note and then selecting editing the "created date" from there. Am I missing the option to have the "created date" more easily accessible? Putting something several clicks away from where it previously was is a PAIN!

Evernote at the moment appears to have an obsesssion with having a "clean" interface. I am all for this, however, not if this design obsession starts to undermine the ability to productively use the platform. By all means allow people to toggle off all of the clutter they want, but equally, allow the rest of us to keep that clutter toggled on if they want. To my mind a design dogma is undermining the ability of users to be able to customise the platform in their own way and we are in danger of Evernode starting to mandate how their platform is used rather than allow the user to make those decisions.

Put simply, is it too much to ask that if you are in a note then shouldn't you be able to view all of the parameters or attributes of that note so that the user can quickly configure or alter those parameters at one time rather than have to navigate a series of sub-menus?

• Level 5

That is bad news. It is a PAIN. The Created Date is a critical piece of information that should be visible. It should not be hidden.

For several years, I have had the gut feeling Evernote does not share our feelings about the importance of a visible Created Date. They seem to prefer a UI with a lot of white space.

Even the former CEO joked about it during an interview back in 2012. He laughed off work-around solutions using modified Created Dates for the long-promised (3+ years) Due Date field by saying: "Notes from the future, they are kind of creepy."

And now with version 6.0, Evernote has succeeded by pushing the Created Date into the background. I'd like to think they will bring it back to the foreground, but based on past experiences, I sincerely doubt it.

My solution was to type in the Created Date to all my titles. It takes up space, but at least I can quickly and easily view the Created Date.

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, nggrant said:

Evernote at the moment appears to have an obsesssion with having a "clean" interface. I am all for this, however, not if this design obsession starts to undermine the ability to productively use the platform. By all means allow people to toggle off all of the clutter they want, but equally, allow the rest of us to keep that clutter toggled on if they want. To my mind a design dogma is undermining the ability of users to be able to customise the platform in their own way and we are in danger of Evernode starting to mandate how their platform is used rather than allow the user to make those decisions.

Exactly -- a design dogma that seems to be driven by people who have a hard time focusing on doing anything unless they are staring at a blank sheet of paper.

It seems there is a new generation of designers and users that prefer a "clean" composing environment to having the necessary information and tools displayed and ready to use.  I seriously don't get this. :(

OK, I get it that different people have different preferences.  

@Evernote (@Stephane Lo & @EvernoteAlex): So please don't impose your preference on all users.
Please give us choices in the Options/Preferences setting of EN Win and EN Mac.

Thank you.

I'll second this.  I use the created date as a visible "due date" which i can sort in list mode.  In fact, it's the first row in my list.  I import 30 pdfs at a time, each with it's own "due date" and this extra step is not welcome.  It would be nice if evernote allowed the PAYING CUSTOMER to choose which info items are shown in the header via preferences.  Not everyone who uses evernote is an easily distracted creative...  

I just spent an hour trying to figure out how to display and edit the Created Date in the new version, only to discover (via this thread) that it is now permanently only in the Info box.  That discovery has put a cold feeling in my stomach, because it's going to make Evernote almost completely unusable for my work!

I'm an author that's working on a book set in the 1800's.  I'm using the Created Date to keep track of hundreds of notes that are time stamped to the date the historical incident takes place.  Just this morning I added about 100 new notes, and I was preparing to give them their dates (so I can sort them amongst my other hundreds of notes), only to discover that each time I need to edit it, I now have to open up the info dialog.

This is a HORRIBLE design decision on the part of Evernote!  I'm sure I'm not the only person out there that has built entire systems in the platform that relies on the editing of the create date in order to be able to stay organized and productive.

Another example:  I archive important e-mail to Evernote, about every six months.  I then need to go in and change those dates to the dates of the actual e-mail.  I had a macro that would do that, but it's clearly no longer going to work.

I'm kind of freaked out that they would do this...  Ugh....  {:{(}

• Level 5
19 minutes ago, Mongobear said:

I'm kind of freaked out that they would do this...  Ugh....  {:{(}

I totally agree with you. The Created Date is IMPORTANT and it should NOT be hidden.

6 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

I totally agree with you. The Created Date is IMPORTANT and it should NOT be hidden.

YES!  Besides being difficult to edit, it's now simply not visible in the note at all, and that's going to be impossible for me!  At the very least it should be displayed, even if it's a pain to edit...  I have this nightmare scenario in front of me of editing thousands of notes so the date is in the body of the note now.  The more I think about this, the more impossible it's looking...  

+1 for restoring easy access to the Created Date.  I change the date of almost everything I scan (to the date on the letter, bill, receipt, etc), as well as things like notes associated with a future trip that I change to the trip date (yes, in the future).

It was already frustrating that there was no way to change the Created Date on the iOS or Android apps, and this update just makes it that little bit harder to keep this organized.

4 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

Please keep it coming, we're listening!

Thanks Peter!  I'm glad your folks are staying tuned to this...  Can you give us any likelihood as to whether this is an issue that can be rectified?  I've got 66,000 notes in Evernote, and it's definitely going to stay as my long term archive and reference source.  But without the ability to see and edit those dates, it's become unusable for me as a writing tool.  I've spent the morning looking at other options (Scrivener, OneNote, etc.).  If there is a possibility this capability will be back within a year or two, I'll be less desperate to find an alternative...

Thanks for responding and staying tuned!

--W

P.S...  How easy is it to go back to an earlier version?

• Level 5
5 minutes ago, Mongobear said:

Can you give us any likelihood as to whether this is an issue that can be rectified?

There still is a chance that "add created date to the note info panel" fix can make it into the current GA, and it will certainly be there in the next Beta ... so it could be a few days or weeks. Please stay tuned.

22 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

There still is a chance that "add created date to the note info panel" fix can make it into the current GA, and it will certainly be there in the next Beta ... so it could be a few days or weeks. Please stay tuned.

That would be HUGELY appreciated!  I'll stay tuned!  Thank so much!!!

As someone who has gone "all in" building a completely paperless office with the help of Evernote, I can only second that icy feeling in the stomach when realizing someone has taken away the ability to easily edit the Created Date... Since long, I have been waiting impatiently for a keyboard shortcut to "Date Created", and to have the software development moving in the other direction is troubling - and very time consuming when editing many notes.

I don't even understand WHY they were removed in the first place? 
Every single book or post or article you read about Evernote mentions these two fields as one of the most important part of your note. 
What was this particular designer thinking? 

So yes please bring back the created and changed dates back into the note

For me, Created Date should reflect the date the original contents were created, not the date when the note itself was created (which could be days, or years after the event). So totally support request for better access to the created date.  Reluctantly I use Reminder Date for Due date.  Not perfect, but ability to include reminder dates in note list view is welcome.

What would totally solve this conundrum for ALL of us would be the ability for users to create their own customizeable and accessible metadata fields.  

Those capabilities don't need to be huge, but it would allow users to transform simple Evernote collections into hugely powerful tools for managing documents and data.  

The fact that so many people used "Creation Date" for other purposes (for me, the historical dates of the events I'm tracking in my research) just shows that users will shoehorn themselves into creative ways to use existing structures, until Evernote finally allows us to create custom metadata...

To me, custom metadata fields is the "holy grail" of Evernote, but one it seems they steadfastly refuse to implement...  

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Mongobear said:

What would totally solve this conundrum for ALL of us would be the ability for users to create their own customizeable and accessible metadata fields.  

Those capabilities don't need to be huge, but it would allow users to transform simple Evernote collections into hugely powerful tools for managing documents and data.  

The fact that so many people used "Creation Date" for other purposes (for me, the historical dates of the events I'm tracking in my research) just shows that users will shoehorn themselves into creative ways to use existing structures, until Evernote finally allows us to create custom metadata...

To me, custom metadata fields is the "holy grail" of Evernote, but one it seems they steadfastly refuse to implement...  

I agree! I have asked for this myself many times. I used to use the Author field as a custom field, but that changed when author was automaticall filled and it was to much work to delete it for every single note..

It wouldn't have to be many fields, but just 2-3 fields of your own choice would be more helpful than none...

I want to add my voice that there are many, many use models for Evernote.  Changing any feature will have an impact.  The changes that remove things from the primary UI are not welcome to me and others here.  I'm sure we are not a minority.

Add me to the list of completely frustrated people who rely on this field. It would be nice if we could all scan or put notes in on the day they actually occur. However, here in reality, sometimes we don't even get the information for days or weeks after it actually happens. I need the note to have the Created Date of the date it actually happens, not the date I finally get it or have time to scan it in. Being able to see which fields are viewable was the obvious fix and that's the first thing I looked at when trying to find my disappearing date. This would also help in another area I'm having problems with. I tag the notes and other people can see them. However, they're accidentally deleting the tags I put on the notes, so I'd like to remove the tags from that person's View. Or protect the tags somehow from this happening. This however is minor in comparison to needing to see the Created Date at a glance of the note, let alone the clicks that have to happen to actually change it.

(sorry for my English)

Wordless.

+1
In some future version of Evernote, the UI will be a blank page and they won't have to worry how make different platforms work in same manner.

Changelog? What's a changelog? (please, don't call so those "release notes").

I keep using EN, but I know what I'm seeing today could disappear tomorrow ... without notification ( in Windows I can revert back to previous version; not so on mobile versions :(  )

Cheers. G.

+1

Create date is very important to my organization of notes.  It reflects the date of the underlying document, letter, bill, etc.  I was so frustrated by its disappearance, that I had to find this thread to add my feedback.  Please bring back to main panel.

Evernote - please listen to what other users are saying.  Simple design changes you make can have major negative impacts to users' workflows.

Also, the suggested user defined fields would be a valuable addition.

This obsession with harsh, white and blank UIs makes working with apps so much harder for my aging eyes.  How I miss the days of contrast on screens!

You moved my cheese!

I use a time-based todo workflow and being able to quickly modify the created date is crucial to the efficiency of my system.  Moving the created date to the info panel has a HUGE NEGATIVE IMPACT on my workflow.

I would suggest making the note editor toolbar customizable.  I should be able to right-click -> Customize -> Drag the created date next to the title, etc.

+1 

I too would very much like to see the Created Date and Updated Date returned to the note header where I can have both visible at all times. In fact, having the option to toggle on/off the note "Info" under "View" would be preferable as I often like to update the source URL and it's a pain having to click "Info" each time. Give the choice, I would have "Info" visible at all times and give up a couple of rows of blank note real estate. 

That being said, I am pleased as punch that note titles are static again at the top of the screen! I never understood why that was changed and am glad to see it's been "fixed" with this update.

My three premium accounts [with thousands of notes] are built on the automatic sort function of the 'created date.'  If I want a Table of Content note to remain at the top of a note list, simply change the 'create date' year to 2100.  All new notes are sorted in 'reverse chronological' order...automatically.  If I want to change the location of a note in a list, simply adjust the create data and, voila, the new sort order is created.  Am I missing something?  How do the masterminds at Evernote sort their note lists?  The automatic create date seems the most logical to me.  Bring it back please!!!! lk

On 4/25/2016 at 11:08 AM, kvitekp said:

bring back the Created Date.

so --- the above was posted 25th april  - its now 06th may .... I have just fallen for the new version on the laptop - (should have checked the forum first) ...should I uninstall and try to roll back...or is the fix imminent?

• Level 5*

It was stated somewhere that it should be fixed in the next beta.  Draw your own conclusions as to imminent, but I would guess weeks, not months.

I agree with everyone, I rely on the created date to sort my notes. It is vitally important that I can easily set the created date and see it. I need this to keep track of my time sheets. Please bring the functionality back. 

• Level 5

I'm glad to see there are many users who need easy access to the Created Date.

It is critical for my use of Evernote. Just one example - I scan my family's thermal receipts at the end of the week and then change the Created Dates to the date on the receipts. 

I wonder how this got through the Beta review. 

• No comments during the Beta testing process?
  • or Evernote felt the comments were not important?

I too need to have the "Date Created" visible and changeable at all times.  I have a service company and create a note for each customer.  I then change to Date Created to the customers' next appointment date and time, thus giving me a great visual to see who is scheduled next. (I sort by Date Created, then Reverse order.)  This is super important to me!!!   Please don't mess with the option to change the Create date and time!

+1

I scan historical documents and make notes of old events. I change Date Created so I can see everything in a timeline. At least I used to.

Please make Date Created easy to edit.

• Level 5*

To give a different viewpoint, I have over 15K notes and I'm not sure that I have ever changed either of those fields ... ok maybe a few times over the 8-9 years that I've used this software.  I certainly do not do it enough where I would want the fields always exposed in the interface.  The extra click to show the dates is fine by me.  If EN does decide to make these fields visible I hope they make it a selectable option. 

On 4/25/2016 at 0:08 PM, kvitekp said:

I'm assuming that it will not only be added, but will also include the ability to be edited in the same place?

• Level 5*

This issue is not just about being able to easily change the Created Date (although that is important).
The more important factor is being able to easily and quickly VIEW the Creation Date.
One very critical factor in using any information is knowing the source date, when the information was published or created.

Also, seeing the date when I am viewing/browsing my personal and/or family history is very important.

• Level 5
47 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

The more important factor is being able to easily and quickly VIEW the Creation Date.

That is absolutely correct.

With the previous version, it was so very easy to look at the created date (see the blue circle)

But now, I have to hope my poor vision will be able to scan over to the proper title (red line) and then scan across to the Created Date field (red circle). I generally FAIL and resort to dragging my finger across the screen to determine the created date. And because my laptop has a touch sensitive screen, I usually end up moving all the notes by accident and have to try over.

Created Date.png

• Level 5*

I rarely have a need to change or view these date fields.  If I have a note where a date is important, I just put it in the title, but I understand that others use and rely on these date fields for various reasons.  I hope you get what you want but I equally hope that if implemented it is user selectable for those of us that don't need these fields always exposed.

Please bring the date created feature as soon as possible.  It is so important to me.  

I use it for planning appointments : I set up a note for future dates and change the "date created" to the future date of the appointments, so they appear in a logical chronological order.  I can then add information to each page easily as and when I need to.

I also add important emails to EN and change the "date created" from when I imported it to the actual date of the email.

Many thanks in anticipation.

• Level 5*
On May 14, 2016 at 4:46 PM, Annie E said:

Please bring the date created feature as soon as possible.  It is so important to me.  

I use it for planning appointments : I set up a note for future dates and change the "date created" to the future date of the appointments, so they appear in a logical chronological order.  I can then add information to each page easily as and when I need to.

Wouldn't the Reminder Date feature be better for this?
- The reminder section can be displayed and sorted by reminder date; 
- You can now add reminder date as a column in list view (Windows);
- Reminder date is a search/sort item
- Reminder Date can be updated on all platforms.  
   Updating Created Date is only doable on the desktop platforms.

- An email is sent to you on the specified day listing all reminders for the day

• Level 5
52 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Have you heard about the Reminder Date feature?

Reminders do not work with the List view for notes. They only work in Snippet and Card view.

And in my opinion, Reminders are more complicated than a simple edit of the Created Date.

• Level 5*
On 5/15/2016 at 8:17 AM, jbenson2 said:

Reminders do not work with the List view for notes. They only work in Snippet and Card view.

And in my opinion, Reminders are more complicated than a simple edit of the Created Date.

With the new release in list viuew you can display remindertime as a column and sort by that column, or just sort by remindertime for that matter without it being displayed.

• Level 5
3 hours ago, csihilling said:

With the new release in list viuew you can display remindertime as a column and sort by that column, or just sort by remindertime for that matter without it being displayed.

I presume you are joking. When I tried what you suggested, the word convoluted came immediately to my mind. Extremely complex and difficult to follow; intricately folded, twisted or coiled.

On the other hand, if you are serious, it confirms my original comment: Reminders are more complicated than a simple edit of the Created Date.

#BringBackTheCreatedDate

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

I presume you are joking. When I tried what you suggested, the word convoluted came immediately to my mind. Extremely complex and difficult to follow; intricately folded, twisted or coiled.

I think that's directed more at me in my above post.  I was responding to @Annie E who was talking about reminders for appointments.  @csihilling was just stating some facts, and I presume he wasn't joking.

I suggested using the Reminder Date feature.  This was a serious recommendation, and I added comments to support it.

• Level 5
38 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I think that's directed more at me in my above post.  I was responding to @Annie E who was talking about reminders for appointments.

I suggested using the Reminder Date feature.  This was a serious recommendation, and I added comments to support it.

No, I was responding to the post with the suggestion to sort by the ReminderTime column in the List View.

+1 to reintroduction of easily accessible and readable created and edited date - I need to have EASY control of these. Why not make it customizable - clean layout for those who need it, information-rich for those who need it otherwise.

It is like with the tomato sauce for pasta - If you want to take the entire market, you need not to look for the flavour which will be loved by most. Instead you need to offer a variety of good flavours...

• Level 5

Getting the date-created feature back to how it was earlier clearly would be useful to many people. I have to say, though, that I can't see how fiddling with the creation date of a note (and thereby losing track of it's actual creation date, the purpose of this feature) is a simple means to accomplish this variety of ends. Perhaps what's really needed is some other feature(s) to reach these goals, rather than reinstating an unintended use of an existing feature.

• Level 5
3 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

have to say, though, that I can't see how fiddling with the creation date of a note (and thereby losing track of it's actual creation date, the purpose of this feature) is a simple means to accomplish this variety of ends. Perhaps what's really needed is some other feature(s) to reach these goals, rather than reinstating an unintended use of an existing feature.

If I scan a gasoline receipt at home on Saturday evening for a purchase I actually made on Friday morning, I want the created date to reflect the purchase date, not the scan date. There are hundreds of other examples where the date of the actual activity is much more important than the data entry date.

A Due Date field would be very useful and Evernote kicked the concept around for several years but ended up with the more complicated Reminder System.

Search Code 47ER92

• Level 5

I use Reminders quite a bit and find that they work well for that simple purpose; I don't use them to track dates of activities, etc., though. I'm more likely to want to know the actual date a note was created; but I'm not using EN for a record-keeping database in the way that many people clearly are. If that's a major activity of EN users, it does seem that adding one more more relevant fields would be a good idea.

• Level 5

I've been using Evernote for 7 years - going back to when they marketed the program as your second brain. I've reached a total of 45,000 notes. Not only do I use Evernote for record keeping, but also a wide variety of personal and business uses. For example, changing the created date for my genealogical records helps me review life events going back in time. For business, the adjusted created date is helpful for appointments and meetings in the future. And I use the created date to quickly review my upcoming monthly bills and cash flow. A rough estimate - I change half of the created dates.

• Level 5

Sounds like Created Date is a hard-working feature for you! The more I follow this thread, the more it seems to me (and I've only been using EN for a couple years, as a tool for research and writing, plus some random household notes) that people early on started using the Created Date field for purposes beyond its original intention. On the one hand, that's liable to become awkward at some point, and it seems a little hard on the programmers to blame them for redesigning a feature with only its intended use in mind. (They kind of open the door, though, by making it possible to modify the date-created and date-updated fields.) OTOH, though, some kind of date field(s) that can be manipulated for a variety of record-keeping purposes would probably not only satisfy the needs of many current users, but attract new (esp. business) users as well. Interesting discussion.

• Level 5

This issue hit the fan a month ago when Evernote hid the Created Date field. If they put it back where it is visible, the problem is solved.

Yes, the date created field has been modifiable for many years, so they are in effect trying to change horses in the middle of the river.

You would be surprised how many times over the years, Evernote execs (including the CEO) said they would develop a Due Date field. 

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

Yes, the date created field has been modifiable for many years, so they are in effect trying to change horses in the middle of the river.

The creation date can be modified on the Windows/Mac platforms.  I believe this has not changed

The creation date can not be modified on the other platforms.

>>You would be surprised how many times over the years, Evernote execs (including the CEO) said they would develop a Due Date field. 

I use the Reminder Date to store a due date.

• Level 5*
On 5/15/2016 at 10:17 AM, jbenson2 said:

Reminders do not work with the List view for notes.

On 5/16/2016 at 3:53 PM, jbenson2 said:

On the other hand, if you are serious, it confirms my original comment: Reminders are more complicated than a simple edit of the Created Date.

#BringBackTheCreatedDate

Not joking just responding to the first post.  A failing of reminders in the past was no visibility/sorting in list view, this release addresses that.

I have used reminders from the start, for all their warts.  And with the addition of some saved to the shortcuts bar and hot key searches, I can keep track of things and GTD, up to the limits of my attention span.  The remindertime searches are key to the process since they focus the context, Today, Late, All, etc.  Occasionally I modify the created date, typically so that it matches the date of a significant document.

What's the difference in using the created column versus the reminder column for access/searches?  I mean, whatever strikes your fancy for sure, but convoluted?  :P

IAC, I would just as soon have the created/updated dates back as well, which it seems will be in an upcoming release.

EDIT:  Funny, just got a pop up that 6.1 Preview is available with "Show and edit note dates directly from the note editor".  Only took 15 minutes....

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, DTLow said:

>>You would be surprised how many times over the years, Evernote execs (including the CEO) said they would develop a Due Date field. 

I use the Reminder Date to store a due date.

@jbenson2 I also use the Reminder Time field as the due date.  To me Reminder Time is the same as Due Date.  I'm curious as to how you see them as different.

• Level 5*

Did you folks realize that the ability to change dates is visible in the top right of the individual notes? There is a drop down box, then the ability to change the individual dates. Either open the note or have the note panel on the right. I am on the latest beta (6.1.0.2113 (302113) that I installed this morning. Cool!

• Level 5

Edit: s2sailor - You pasted DTLow's comment about using the Reminder Date as a due date. 

There are some big difference between Reminder Dates and Created Dates

• Most importantly - the Reminder Dates cannot be used with the standard List View which is my default method of using Evernote.
  • In my opinion, the Reminder Date process is much more complicated than a simple Created Date.
  • And it bugs me to see all the reminders at the top of my page, even the old ones that could be months old. To get rid of the completed one requires more work.I don't have to do that extra work if I use the Created Date.

• Level 5
23 minutes ago, FactMan said:

Did you folks realize that the ability to change dates is visible in the top right of the individual notes? There is a drop down box, then the ability to change the individual dates.

I also heard from another user that the beta will correct this error.

For safety purposes, my policy is to always wait until the Evernote general release hits the market.

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

Edit: s2sailor - You pasted DTLow's comment about using the Reminder Date as a due date.

Yes, that was intended.  I was agreeing with his comment.

31 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

Most importantly - the Reminder Dates cannot be used with the standard List View which is my default method of using Evernote.

Unless I'm not following you, this is incorrect.  In list view do a right mouse button click on the column titles and select Reminder Time as one of the columns that can be added.  That will add this column to your list view.  This is the reminder due date.  You can then click on that title to sort them.

38 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

In my opinion, the Reminder Date process is much more complicated than a simple Created Date.

Agreed.  Creating a reminder with a due date is a two step process, versus just filling in a due date field.

39 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

And it bugs me to see all the reminders at the top of my page, ...

I'm not following you on this one.  I think you are referring to reminders when in snippet view, which can be collapsed if you don't want to see the full list.  If you use list view nothing is different, but if you expose the Reminder Time field you now get to see a column of your due dates, which, again, if I'm understanding you correctly, is what you wanted.

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

I also heard from another user that the beta will correct this error.

This is the UI change in the new beta.  You can always expose either show created date or show updated date, not both.

menu.jpg

• Level 5

Restoring the Created Date and Time is what I need. There is no need to explain my other comments in more detail. Evernote seems to understand. Thank you for the assistance.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, FactMan said:

Did you folks realize that the ability to change dates is visible in the top right of the individual notes?

For sure, but pre 6.1 both were visible to view/modify at the same time.  No impact to me, but others seemed to want both visible in the note header area.

I use created date to refer to the origin date of the content itself.  This gives me a time stream of my activity when I order by created date.  This is the way I view my material by default, so having simple access to this date is integral to my use.  Helps me with managing the fragmentation of my time on a wide range of activity areas (something that is common to most people these days).

Where do I find the beta mentioned above?

:)

Ken

• Level 5*
On 5/18/2016 at 6:17 PM, s2sailor said:

This is the UI change in the new beta.  You can always expose either show created date or show updated date, not both.

menu.jpg

@Evernote, @kvitekp, WHY do you guys  fight this, resist this, so much???  :angry:

Instead of just doing something simple, like restoring BOTH dates to view and edit, you have to yet make another UI change, much more complicated.  It shows A date, but which one?  You can't tell just by looking.  

Looks like plenty of room on the toolbar to show BOTH.  I have no problem with you providing user OPTIONS of whether or not to show each.  (but not by a Registry hack).

On 20-5-2016 at 2:30 AM, JMichaelTX said:

@Evernote, @kvitekp, WHY do you guys  fight this, resist this, so much???  :angry:

Instead of just doing something simple, like restoring BOTH dates to view and edit, you have to yet make another UI change, much more complicated.  It shows A date, but which one?  You can't tell just by looking.  

Looks like plenty of room on the toolbar to show BOTH.  I have no problem with you providing user OPTIONS of whether or not to show each.  (but not by a Registry hack).

Are you for real?? Is that really the improvement?? 
Then Evernote did absolutely not listen to its users @kvitekp @evernote 

Give us back our editable Created and Updated fields back in the notes!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Evernote!

I just downloaded the new version which exposes the created date, and it is an essential (re-)improvement.

Now, would it be possible to get a keyboard shortcut as well, for example "Set focus to the Created Date field of the active note"? I am aware this is not important to every user, but for us who rely heavily on the Created Date for the organisation of our library, it would be a significant workflow improvement.

• 1 month later...
On 22/5/2016 at 3:48 PM, Senol said:

Are you for real?? Is that really the improvement?? 
Then Evernote did absolutely not listen to its users @kvitekp @evernote 

Give us back our editable Created and Updated fields back in the notes!

In Italy we could call Evernote software evolution as an OSAC (Office for Simple Affairs Complication) :P

32 minutes ago, Gangun said:

In Italy we could call Evernote software evolution as an OSAC (Office for Simple Affairs Complication) :P

Initially I too was upset that the display of created and updated was not available in the note panel or opened notes.  This encouraged me to inspect the way I have Evernote configured for my purposes.  I spend most of my time with notes for a given notebook visible in the middle pane, and the selected note on the right in the note pane.  In the middle I used snippet view as I had settled on that as the best way to see the notes, sort of a preview, with the detail visible at the top of the selected note on the right.  I have now migrated to a list view in the middle pane with the note title taking up most of the space and columns for created date, updated date, and tag on the right.  Generally everything except the note title and the created date column are not visible; I have to scroll right to get to them.  I have selected to show updated date in the note header, so I can see it if I need it.  As a picture is worth 1000 words, I've attached my working view.

ClipboardImage.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, eafpres said:

Initially I too was upset that the display of created and updated was not available in the note panel or opened notes.  This encouraged me to inspect the way I have Evernote configured for my purposes.  I spend most of my time with notes for a given notebook visible in the middle pane, and the selected note on the right in the note pane.  In the middle I used snippet view as I had settled on that as the best way to see the notes, sort of a preview, with the detail visible at the top of the selected note on the right.  I have now migrated to a list view in the middle pane with the note title taking up most of the space and columns for created date, updated date, and tag on the right.  Generally everything except the note title and the created date column are not visible; I have to scroll right to get to them.  I have selected to show updated date in the note header, so I can see it if I need it.  As a picture is worth 1000 words, I've attached my working view.

ClipboardImage.png

Try living without the left panel for a while. You get a lot more screen real estate and most of what you need acces to is still visible on the screen.  Depends on your process for sure, not for all.  Easy enough to switch back and forth, F10.  FWIW.  

Archived