Web Release Notes - 04/20/2016

scruggles

Idea

Hey folks!

We are happy to announce that last night we began rolling out a new editing experience for Chrome and Safari. This release is part of a larger effort to improve the core editing experience on all of our platforms. See https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2015/09/22/the-future-of-writing-in-evernote/ for more info. 

How do I know if I'm in the editor beta? 

We’re doing a slow rollout to catch any bugs that we might have missed, so it might not have reached you computer yet.
When we get to you, you should be able to Opt-In to the beta by clicking a “Try Beta” banner in your note editor. You’ll also be able to Report a Bug if you run into anything funky.

What’s new?

Most of the work is under the hood and you won’t notice it, but we are introducing a few nifty shortcuts with this release:
``` to start a code block
* to start a bulleted list
1. to start a numbered list
[] to create a checkbox
[][][]X# + RETURN to create a table
e.g. [][][][]X4 followed by RETURN would create a four by four table
Plus all kinds of emoji, from :ghost: to :pizza:

Some known issues that we’re working on:

Default font will change when switching over
Images that have been resized will lose their resizing
Tables may shrink to fit to the content inside

Coming soon:

Image resizing
Table resizing

Got feedback? 

Leave it here and I’ll get back to you. You can also report a bug by clicking "Beta" > "Report a Bug" in the formatting bar of any note.

Thanks for your patience over the past few months as we've been working on this. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts and building toward a better Evernote together.

Best,
Karen

17 replies to this idea

On 5/27/2016 at 8:28 AM, PodioSpaz said:

When using "Insert From Drive", I have to click the button 3 to 4 times before it works.  When it does not work I get the attached error.

drive_error.jpg

@PodioSpaz Are you still experiencing this? If so, can you send me your browser type and any specific steps you can take to reproduce the issue?

On 5/27/2016 at 5:31 PM, PodioSpaz said:

I made a note change on Evernote Web (beta), but changes are not showing up on Android (7.9 beta 1.1).  

Both Evernote Web and Android have the same update timestamp, but different content.

I've posted this to the Android Beta site as well, since I don't know which beta is causing the problem.

Turns out this was an Android issue.  7.9 beta 2 resolved the problem.

I made a note change on Evernote Web (beta), but changes are not showing up on Android (7.9 beta 1.1).  

Both Evernote Web and Android have the same update timestamp, but different content.

I've posted this to the Android Beta site as well, since I don't know which beta is causing the problem.

Minor cosmetic request -  In my opinion how attachments look in the current version is more pleasant/professional looking than in the Beta version.

Current Version (good)

Beta Version (sloppy)  

Screenshot 2016-05-19 at 11.58.28 AM - Display 1.png

Screenshot 2016-05-19 at 12.00.00 PM - Display 1.png

Hi. 

It looks like 'beta' version does not respect my default font setup. Now, Copy-and-Paste from any web page gives me my font with some extra text attributes (bold, little bigger subtitles, etc.). In 'beta', the same operation takes much more of web page look (including unwanted gray background), disregarding my EN note setup. 

My assumption is that most users want to see their notes in particular font and size, and do not care much what original web page looks like.

~Piotr

shot1.png

shot2.png

A word of caution...

If you have been using Markdown Here to edit your notes using markdown, you won't be able to edit your old markdown notes.  You also won't be able to create new notes using Markdown Here when the beta in enabled. 

Attached are errors you will see.

beta_error2.PNG

beta_error1.PNG

The Chrome find function doesn't work properly in the Beta.  To reproduce, find (Ctrl-F) something in a note, the browser will scroll down to the first 'hit', and now try clicking on that hit - you jump back to the beginning of that note.  I'm using Chrome Stable (50.0.2661.94 m) on Windows 10.

I'm not going to bother submitting a bug report - I did that for a more serious bug (Ticket# 1321401 - Indent function indents my whole document) back in November and helped EN isolate and reproduce the bug and it is still broken in this new beta to my considerable dissapointment.

I guess its possible that, since EN (and it formatting and encoding) was not designed for the web originally, it will never work very well in a browser, ie. the bug can't be fixed.  Would be useful to know if that is the case (that the bug can't be fixed).

Hi Guys, I use the Web version only and I'm not yet happy with the beta release. I think the Web solution should get a wider range of functionality. I like the former process where I could combine the notes. Why is that function still missing?

Archived