6.0 is released

• Level 5

Evernote for Windows 6.0 (6.0.4.xxxx) GA Release

Evernote 6 for Windows is here and introduces features improving upon the core Evernote experience.

• Navigation
  • Organization
  • Search
  • Note editing
  • Note browsing.

I look forward to comments from users of this newest release.

Question:  Is the vertical note view (Ctrl+Shift+F5) still available?

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2016/04/21/evernote-windows/

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jbenson2 said:

Question:  Is the vertical note view (Ctrl+Shift+F5) still available?

F7, you can see the options in the View menu I think. (not at my test PC, still on 5.9 on main PC).  May be on 5.9 for a while if Shift'-Alt-T and my saved searches don't return.  Too much of a hit to my productivity.  :(

• Level 5
2 minutes ago, csihilling said:

F7, you can see the options in the View menu I think. (not at my test PC, still on 5.9 on main PC).  May be on 5.9 for a while if Shift'-Alt-T and my saved searches don't return.  Too much of a hit to my productivity.  :(

Thanks, but I can't access it yet. I've learned the hard way to wait 2 to 4 weeks before installing a new Evernote release.  If the comments on the forum look positive, then I give it a try.

• Level 5
3 hours ago, csihilling said:

Do you use Shift-Alt-T much to enter multiple tags in a search?

I've never used it. I have over 1,400 tags, so I stick with the old fashioned method and type them directly into my search.

Example: cell phone payments during 2015

tag:com-Verizon tag:per-payment intitle:2015

• Level 5*

Thanks.  I got used to it.  Shift-Alt-T followed by sta<enter>at<enter> for a tag:statement tag:at&t search.  New version requires more keystrokes/clicks, including dealing with the within search (more than one result for sta).  Oh well....

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, csihilling said:

F7 runs a spell check. Ctrl-shift-F5 does nothing. The vertical list (with the notes on the right) is available through the drop-down icon to the left of the search bar. New ways of working...

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, FactMan said:

F7 runs a spell check. Ctrl-shift-F5 does nothing. The vertical list (with the notes on the right) is available through the drop-down icon to the left of the search bar. New ways of working...

Yeah, my bad.  Should be Ctrl-F7 to toggle top/side list view.  By view, I meant the view drop down.  That's what I get for trusting my memory...

Image.png

• Level 5
On 4/21/2016 at 4:50 PM, csihilling said:

Thanks.  I got used to it.  Shift-Alt-T followed by sta<enter>at<enter> for a tag:statement tag:at&t search.  New version requires more keystrokes/clicks, including dealing with the within search (more than one result for sta).  Oh well....

I believe we can make this possible by introducing a (yet another) registry option which if set to 1 will not close tag picker after the first selection is made. Keep pushing!

• Level 5

After I find the information I am searching for, I'd like to move on to a new search.

Is there a "Reset" Keystroke inside Evernote to clear the previous search and select all notebooks?

For instance: 

>Tools >Options >Hot Keys >Find in Evernote that will... 

• a.) clear the previous search and
  • b.) switch to all notebooks

I probably could do this with a 3rd party programmable option, but it would make more sense to be inside Evernote.

• Level 5

Thank you for the link.

"Set HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/ResetContextOnSearch to 1 and the current search context will be cleared when you press F6."

Evernote has been working on this upgrade for 2.5+ years. The new version improves on core functions

But... 

• Users now need a registry hack to start a new search
  • Users have to hunt for the hidden Created Date

Both of these features were easily accessible in the previous version. I know Evernote will never explain, but these changes are headscratchers.

7 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

Thank you for the link.

"Set HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/ResetContextOnSearch to 1 and the current search context will be cleared when you press F6."

Evernote has been working on this upgrade for 2.5+ years. The new version improves on core functions

But... 

• Users now need a registry hack to start a new search
  • Users have to hunt for the hidden Created Date

Both of these features were easily accessible in the previous version. I know Evernote will never explain, but these changes are headscratchers.

My thoughts exactly. In some areas things that used to work do not work or have been removed, change in a way that makes it less productive. The editor is also something we have been promised will improve.

Posted 22 Sep 2015 by 

PeeJayTee

• PeeJayTee
  • Employee Alumni
  •  
This is P.J. from the Product Team at Evernote.
I wanted to take a moment to tell you about a project that we've been working on for quite a while. As some of you may have noticed, the note editor changed in the Windows 5.9 release. Though it introduced a relatively small number of new features, it represents a larger body of work that will significantly improve note editing in Evernote.

Years of writing the editors of our clients independently of one another has taken a toll on the the consistency and quality of Evernote’s editing experience. We recognize this and we’re fully committed to making it better. We’ve created a dedicated team focused on improving the note editor and we’re hoping you notice the difference. In the coming weeks and months, you’ll start to see the fruits of this labor appear in all of the things you do to create notes in Evernote—typing, bullets and lists, tables, images, copy and pasting are just a few of the things we’ll be working on to start. Bigger improvements will follow. For more on the thinking behind this project

But I didn't see much of meaningful improvements being done in the Evernote 6 and after a lot of time. Like you said "I know Evernote never explains" even if the same guy was convincing me this time they are serious about it. Not impressed to say the least.

• Level 5*

There do seem to be a lot of improvements in Evernote 6 IMHO, but there are a few things that have been "broken" compared with the earlier versions. The developers should at the very least explain why they could not get them to work in the latest version. If it is just their opinion of what the users want, that is not good enough. Users spend a lot of time getting used to particular features, and now having to find a workaround for each and every disabled feature is very frustrating. Requiring us to make registry edits to address failure to program properly is not acceptable if you want to have Evernote as only solution to note storage.

• Level 5

Some people prefer "All Notes" search: they expect every search to search entire database. Other people prefer "Context" search: they select a notebook and one or more tags, and expect their search to be confined to currently selected context. If F6 resets context every time it's useless for "Context" search crowd because no one wants to re-select context for every search. Clicking "All Notes" to reset the context is much easier, so we've made F6 not to reset context the default and added a (currently not exposed) option users can configure. We were not sure if it was worth exposing, however if we see the need, we'll expose it.

Dates were removed from Note Info panel because in V6 we wanted to de-clutter UI as much as possible. In some areas we removed too much and we know this because people complain. We hear these complains and act accordingly.

We could have kept V6 in beta and polish the UI for much longer, however we felt that it already contains enough goodies for people to start using it and also wanted to get more feedback. So please keep it coming, we're listening!

• Level 5
29 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

If F6 resets context every time it's useless for "Context" search crowd because no one wants to re-select context for every search. Clicking "All Notes" to reset the context is much easier,

Thank you for offering Evernote's logic on changing Search.

A view from the other side:

• If F6 resets context every time it's perfect for "Standard" search crowd because it allows the user to select ALL NOTES for every search.
  • Mouse clicking "All Notes" to reset the context is much harder for keyboard users. A single keystroke is much easier. 

I will bite my tongue and remain frustrated with your UI explanation on why the Created Date was hidden.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Dates were removed from Note Info panel because in V6 we wanted to de-clutter UI as much as possible. In some areas we removed too much and we know this because people complain. We hear these complains and act accordingly.

I really don't understand Evernote's obsession with "clutter".  I honestly don't get it.  It does seem to be associated with the younger crowd, like they can't concentrate if the slightest distraction exists.

Please consider this:  One person's "clutter" is another person's "critical information".

There are several ways a good UI designer can deal with his/her perceived "clutter" shown in the app:

1. Provide user with options/shortcuts to show/hide the various panel on the screen.
    (EN Win used to have a number of these that allowed the user to show/hide as much info as desired)
  2. Provide expand/collapse sections that are sticky (remembered until changed)
  3. Provide multiple, customizable, app views.
    1. These are very powerful
    2. Not many apps provide this, so it would be a big marketing advantage for Evernote 
    3. Allows the user to quickly switch views that provide just the data he/she needs for a particular workflow

Archived