Telephone hyperlinks

Anyone know how to add a telelphone number to a note in the mac client or ios so that when I open the note on my ios device I can simply click on the link to have my phone dial the number?

I did a bit of searching, seems like this is available on the android app but I haven't figured it out on ios.  it's probably a simple solution ...

• Level 5*
On 4/21/2016 at 9:02 AM, alchu said:

Anyone know how to add a telelphone number to a note in the mac client or ios so that when I open the note on my ios device I can simply click on the link to have my phone dial the number?

You don't need to do anything special other than to just format the  phone number in one of the standard styles:

• (123) 123-1234
  • 123-123-1234
  • etc

The iPhone iOS has a built-in feature that will automatically make a phone call link out of any number it recognizes as a phone number.

Thanks! Seems like i wasn't waiting long enough for the feature to kick in, perhaps. It seems to take a few moments on my phone for it to translate. I was probably not patient enough when pulling up that particular note on my phone!

• 9 months later...

This doesn't work on the macOS client as of version 6.10.

For example:

I want to create a note to help me call my house, senate, and state senate and state delegates.  Evernote could just let me CMD+K and type "tel:555-555-5510".  Instead, well, I have to re-key the phone numbers into my phone every time I want to make a call.

Footnote:

I would at least like to explicitly opt into using unsupported url schema.  This "safety" prohibition prevents a huge number of edge enhancements to the Evernote network.  It'd be extremely useful to me to be able to add a link for FileMaker so I can use a url like "fmp://$/ProLog?script=NewCall&$tel=555-555-5510", which would let me invoke the FileMaker script "NewCall" in the already-opened datebase "ProLog", where FileMaker itself lets me invoke custom URL schema to start a phone call and create a database record to record the call log at the same time.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, John Christopher Jones said:

I would at least like to explicitly opt into using unsupported url schema.  This "safety" prohibition prevents a huge number of edge enhancements to the Evernote network.

I totally agree with this.  Any URL scheme that the macOS supports should be allowed by Evernote.

Until Evernote provides this feature, perhaps this will work for you as a workaround:
How to Make Calls with iPhone from Mac OSX 

I actually have a Keyboard Maestro Macro that will dial the phone number of any number that is selected by the user:
MACRO: [FT] Dial iPhone with Selected Number 

• 4 weeks later...

What if you want to make something longer in to a phone number link: for example while on the road and working off my iphone, I add entries in to evernote for WebEx in the format:

+18005551212,,1234567,,#

where 1234567 is the passcode and the "," are time delays for the next entery

It would be nice if there was an explicit phone hyperlink

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, KenKranz said:

It would be nice if there was an explicit phone hyperlink

The macOS support the phone URL scheme:
tel://1231231234

But unfortunately Evernote does not allow us to create a link using this scheme.
Strangely enough, this forum does support, as I have created a phone link in the above link that will dial the number using FaceTime (connected to my iPhone).

Evernote needs to support all custom (non-web) URL schemes that are supported by the macOS.

• 2 years later...
On 2/23/2017 at 9:06 PM, JMichaelTX said:

The macOS support the phone URL scheme:
tel://1231231234

But unfortunately Evernote does not allow us to create a link using this scheme.
Strangely enough, this forum does support, as I have created a phone link in the above link that will dial the number using FaceTime (connected to my iPhone).

Evernote needs to support all custom (non-web) URL schemes that are supported by the macOS.

Hi! :-) I am a KM fant too! Anyways not sure how to have the mac select other not so known Softphone apps (Ip) apps by default. The Facetime settings have no option for other than Zoom and Facetime on my Mac.

Archived