Spreadsheet cells turned into tags

I have a spreadsheet that I have used as an 'index' of  ideas from speeches I have heard. The spreadsheet is set up with a column for date, speaker, topic, note.

I would like to import this into evernote. My idea would be to make the note text be the 'note' and the 'date' cell, and make the 'topic' and 'speaker' cells tags. 

Is there a way to do this? 

• Level 5*
On 4/19/2016 at 7:32 PM, adbmil said:

I have a spreadsheet that I have used as an 'index' of  ideas from speeches I have heard. The spreadsheet is set up with a column for date, speaker, topic, note.

I would like to import this into evernote. My idea would be to make the note text be the 'note' and the 'date' cell, and make the 'topic' and 'speaker' cells tags. 

Is there a way to do this? 

If you are using a Mac, AppleScript is definitely the way to do this -- it gives you lots of flexibility.
Let me know if you're using a Mac, and I'll try to provide more detailed help.

If you are using Windows, it is a much bigger challenge to import Excel or CSV data into Evernote.
AFAIK, there is no Windows equivalent to AppleScript for working with Evernote.
But, there is hope.  You could use an Excel VBA macro to convert the Excel data to an ENEX file, which is the standard Evernote import file.
See Importing Microsoft Excel Data into Evernote without a Premium Account 

What versions of OS and Evernote are you running?

@adbmil I realize that have some specific ways you want Evernote to handle your data, but there is another approach that will be a lot easier. That is, just copy the spreadsheet and paste it into an Evernote Note. With the Windows version of Evernote, it will convert your data into an Evernote Table. You can then search for titles and your original "notes" and not have to go to the trouble to create Tags.

I am using Windows (and my iPhone), and I don't have a premium account (yet).

To respond to Analyst444- Thanks for the suggestion- hadn't thought of that and I wasn't sure if attaching the file would work the way I wanted. I would prefer to make each row a separate note with tags, as I plan to continue the system in Evernote, and I would like to be able to find all of the relevant topics by tags, rather that marking the future notes with tags and needing to do a separate search in the Table for the old notes.

I plan on switching my note-taking system to evernote, as EN is really the system I had in mind when I started this spreadsheet several years back. It will allow me to attach related articles, speech recording, and the tags is the perfect way for me to manage it all.

Archived