Disable automatic titles for notes

dec4106

Idea

When a new note is created, the first few words of the note text is copied to the title.  Please provide a way to disable this on Windows and OS X.  While you're at it, please also remove the "Title" string that is displayed if the note has no explicit title (or provide a way to remove it).  If I don't want a title, then I don't want one.  Shouldn't that be my decision?

Thanks.

17 replies to this idea

Can't agree more. After so many years how is this still a thing? I'm tired of seeing "Untitled note" everywhere. It's very distracting and clutters up the UI incredibly quickly.

What's worse is some are named "Untitled note," while others are named just "Untitled," and I suspect that's due to them being created on different clients (e.g. the web vs Android). No consistency whatsoever. How am I supposed to keep things organized when something this basic is overlooked?

Like, why should a note have a title to begin with. Why not let us not have a title? The way they do it in Google Keep or Simplenote.

• Level 5*
On 6/23/2019 at 5:41 AM, discusevernote_account1111 said:

No consistency whatsoever. How am I supposed to keep things organized when something this basic is overlooked?

Uh, enter a title?

On 6/23/2019 at 5:41 AM, discusevernote_account1111 said:

Like, why should a note have a title to begin with. Why not let us not have a title?

That is consistency, not sure how it helps you keep things organized.

55 minutes ago, CalS said:

That is consistency, not sure how it helps you keep things organized.

Maybe read my comment first before leaving nonsense replies? How is some notes being called "Untitled" and others "Untitled note" with no apparent pattern whatsoever "consistent?" Look up what the word consistency means please. Consistency helps me keep things organized, but that is anything but consistency.

57 minutes ago, CalS said:

Uh, enter a title?

Uh, don't tell me what to do? A note is not a novel. It's not supposed to have a title. Or maybe you could suggest a title for a note saying "deep tissue work" or "juicy realm" or any other 2-3 word note that is self-descriptive (for me, the user anyway) and would only become unnecessarily cluttered from having a title?

• Level 5*
On 6/23/2019 at 3:41 AM, discusevernote_account1111 said:

What's worse is some are name "Untitled note," while others are name just "Untitled," and I suspect that's due to them being created on different clients (e.g. the web vs Android). No consistency whatsoever. How am I supposed to keep things organized when something this basic is overlooked?

One of my tools for "keeping things organized" is with a meaningful note title.

I've noticed there are different default titles, dependent on platform.  This should be consistent.

It hasn't impacted my organization, however ultimately, I do make sure each note has a title.  
My naming standard is; <date> <type> <keywords> [description]

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I've noticed there are different default titles, dependent on platform.

It hasn't impacted my organization, however I do make sure each note has a title.  My naming standard is; <date> <type> <keywords> [description]

Thanks for a workaround (still only a workaround though..).

It's not just the title text that's different, it's the title behavior. For the "Untitled" ones I can select the title (ctrl+a) and edit the word ("Untitled"). I can also delete it, but it's recreated when I exit the text field. For the "Untitled Note" ones I can't even select the title or edit it. As soon as I start typing it disappears.

• Level 5*

OK, this is a feature request, and it's valid so we'll see how the voting goes. Me, I can't recall a similar request, though I do recall lots of jawing back and forth about the auto-titling procedure; that doesn't make this an invalid request, though.

Anyways, one thing is true: the Evernote API currently requires a note title length to be greater than 0. From the docs at https://dev.evernote.com/doc/reference/javadoc/constant-values.html#com.evernote.edam.limits.Constants.EDAM_NOTEBOOK_NAME_LEN_MIN, we can see that the constant EDAM_NOTEBOOK_NAME_LEN_MIN is set to 1. So that's why a not must have a title in Evernote, though why that initial decision was made is beyond my knowledge. As regards the inconsistency of titles assigned to notes that have none, it may be a OS client based thing, or there may be legacy changes in the various clients. It would be nice for some consistency there.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, discusevernote_account1111 said:

Maybe read my comment first before leaving nonsense replies? How is some notes being called "Untitled" and others "Untitled note" with no apparent pattern whatsoever "consistent?"

Was referencing your no title comment.

Do what you like.  Just suggestions.  

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, discusevernote_account1111 said:

Obviously not very convenient, as you'd have to go somewhere to copy it every time.

To make this workaround more palatable you could try using a text expander like PhraseExpress and create a hotkey to insert the special character into the title.  I use PE to get around some of the "missing for me" features of EN, like reminder maintenance..

• Like 1

I see that almost five years have gone by since this discussion took place and Evernote still doesn't want to listen to its users.

Why can't you allow us to create a template without a title??  

• Level 5

Don’t know what you mean.

Templates have a name - how do you want to identify them otherwise.

When I create a note from one of my templates, the title field is empty. It then follows the same logic as any note created from scratch:

Either type something into the title field, or have the title created from the first line of text in that note (everything until the first period in that line).

What I meant is, why does there have to be a title in notes and templates?  Why can't that be left blank?  If I leave it blank now, there is a title added automatically which says "Untitled".

• Level 5

No, not sarcastic.

But first I think this is a very exotic wish - I don’t see any chance that it will be implemented. I can’t remember anything similar here in the forum with the current version. Users give titles to their notes, usually. We even had heated discussions about whether to place the cursor in a new note into the title or into the text body section - nobody discussed skipping the title.  There is no technical reason in EN that there must be a title - other than files that use it as an identifier, notes are identified by an unique ID, not by title.

And second I see this as a typical First World Problem - the sort of problem people make up when they have nothing serious to tackle. If you don’t need a title, you get it titled with „Untitled“, which is as good as anything.  My opinion as another user …

You can send any feature request to EN staff, by the feedback function or through a support ticket.