Update to 6.6 broke my Evernote

I originally posted this question back on April 7 but I think I asked in the wrong thread:  

"I really hate to rain on everyone's parade here, since everyone else is enjoying 6.6, but when I opened Evernote yesterday it offered me the update from 6.5 to 6.6.  I clicked to accept and the download seemed fine — until it tried to restart.  It crashed.  Since then as soon as I open Evernote, it crashes again.  I already have used the built-in crash reporter to pass on what information I could see (plus the system info it gathers itself, of course), but then I decided to try here.  

"I also decided to grab a new download file from the Evernote website and reinstall, but I get the same result. 

"I'm running a MacBook Pro (2012) on OSX 10.9.5, if that matters.

"I'd be grateful for any help.  TIA." 

One very kind person messaged me and tried to help but I wasn't able to answer some questions.  I'm still stuck though;  Evernote no longer works for me at all on my Mac, and I'm reduced to using my phone to access material I've previously written.  Not a solution, really.  

Since I reported this (going on 2 weeks ago) I've heard nothing back as a result of the crash reports I sent, and only had one attempt to help me get running again as already mentioned.  

I'm a new (and previously happy) user of Evernote, so maybe I'm overlooking an obvious fix, but I really need to resolve this situation soon. 

Can anyone help?  

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, CLSzcz said:

Evernote no longer works for me at all on my Mac, 

Since I reported this (going on 2 weeks ago) I've heard nothing back as a result of the crash reports I sent, and only had one attempt to help me get running again as already mentioned.  

I'm a new (and previously happy) user of Evernote, so maybe I'm overlooking an obvious fix, but I really need to resolve this situation soon. 

Can anyone help?  

If you have already tried a simple app reinstall, then you might try a clean reinstall.

See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

I've got exactly the same problem CLSzcz.

I read to restart the Mac but that didn't work.

I've tried removing it from Chrome and then installing it again, but that didn't work either.

I really need help here as I have some huge research going that I need to store rather than print form the internet.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, Denysedd said:

I've tried removing it from Chrome and then installing it again, but that didn't work either.

Are you using the EN Web client on a Mac, or, are you using the Mac Evernote App?

16 hours ago, Denysedd said:

I've managed a work around with using Evernote and dragging pages to it.

the problem is the Chrome App is not working. I tried Safari but it had the same problem.

Hey there @Denysedd. Welcome to the Forums!

I'd like to learn a little more about the issue you are describing. 

19 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Are you using the EN Web client on a Mac, or, are you using the Mac Evernote App?

As per @JMichaelTX's question, can you let us know whether you are experiencing the issue on the web version of Evernote at www.evernote.com, or the downloaded desktop application for the Mac?

I'm not quite sure how it is we're now discussing the browser plug-in, so I'll just clarify for the record that I wasn't using the plug-in, I was using the Mac Evernote application, and that's what has failed (after upgrading from version 6.5 to 6.6, as reported in the beginning).  

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, CLSzcz said:

I'm not quite sure how it is we're now discussing the browser plug-in, so I'll just clarify for the record that I wasn't using the plug-in, I was using the Mac Evernote application, and that's what has failed (after upgrading from version 6.5 to 6.6, as reported in the beginning).  

Did you try the suggestion above for a "clean install"

This was also discussed in the discussion here https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/95513-crashing-evernote-account/?do=findComment&comment=404877 and a tool to do the removal.

Its important that you completely remove Evernote from your Mac before you reinstall.  

This should be a quick process - I'd estimate no more than 30 minutes of your time.

On 4/18/2016 at 6:57 AM, JMichaelTX said:

If you have already tried a simple app reinstall, then you might try a clean reinstall.

See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

Thanks for that.  It looks interesting, and I appreciate the amount of work you put into producing all that. I'm just a little unclear about 2 things.  First, it seems to be saying that if I'm not careful I could end up deleting my notes from the server, which means I'd have lost months of work that I really can't afford to lose.  Second, it seems to be saying that even if I successfully hang onto my notes, I'll lose things like my notebook structure, tags, and how I had everything set up.  

Oh, and third, it appears that Evernote doesn't include any tools for automating this process, does it?  

IOW, unless I want to try to re-create my structure from scratch, I'd better back it all up AND make a record of it all before I do anything else.  

Have I misunderstood what I read?  The way it looks to me right now, I need to un-Evernote my work completely off the Evernote servers, then do the uninstall procedure for the application, then guess whether I should attempt to re-install 6.6 or go back to 6.5, then install whatever I decide on, then re-Evernote all my work.  

I'm working to several deadlines and if this is the procedure I'll need to re-evaluate my use of time. :-( 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, CLSzcz said:

First, it seems to be saying that if I'm not careful I could end up deleting my notes from the server, which means I'd have lost months of work that I really can't afford to lose.

No, this process should NOT in any way affect your Notes in the Evernote Cloud.
Please tell me exactly what statement led you to believe that, so I can correct/clarify.
You will be deleting files and folders on your Mac.  Do NOT delete any Notes or other data using the EN Mac app.

You are doing a clean reinstall, which means DOWNLOADING all of your Notes (except for those in Local Notebooks).
Nothing is uploaded.

1 hour ago, CLSzcz said:

Second, it seems to be saying that even if I successfully hang onto my notes, I'll lose things like my notebook structure, tags, and how I had everything set up.  

No.  Since ALL of that info is stored in the EN Cloud, when you reinstall (and thus download), all of that info is downloaded with your Notes.
Again, what led you to believe that?

1 hour ago, CLSzcz said:

Oh, and third, it appears that Evernote doesn't include any tools for automating this process, does it?  

That is correct.

1 hour ago, CLSzcz said:

IOW, unless I want to try to re-create my structure from scratch, I'd better back it all up AND make a record of it all before I do anything else.

No.  Backups are always good to have in case something goes terribly wrong.  But the process I provided does NOT rely on a backup.
Again, ALL of your Evernote Notes, structure, data, are ALL in the EN Cloud, and will be downloaded.

1 hour ago, CLSzcz said:

Have I misunderstood what I read?  The way it looks to me right now, I need to un-Evernote my work completely off the Evernote servers

You have completely misunderstood.  Do NOT change anything on the Evernote Servers (aka EN Cloud).

All you need to do is completely remove the Evernote app and data files from your Mac, and then do a install, which will download everything from the EN Cloud.  If you follow the procedure as I provided exactly, you will be doing this.

Just to be clear, the procedure I am referring to is:
See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

Please do NOT proceed until you clearly understand this process, and you are comfortable with it.
Again, do NOT delete any Notes or other data using your Evernote app.  Doing so would cause the EN Cloud to also delete the notes, which you do NOT want to do.  Do NOT make any changes that will affect the data in the EN Cloud.

Questions?

Archived