Crashing Evernote account

I downloaded Evernote 6.6 on one of my iMacs last Wednesday. Since then, I either have not been able to see my latest notes ( app from the Apple Store), or when I do see my notes ( Evernote for Mac from the web), and I try to do anything....click on them or sync ... The account crashes.

however on my other machines ( another iMac and a MacBook), the account is ok. Evernote support has so far not solved the problem. HELP!!!

• Level 5*
On April 17, 2016 at 7:32 PM, Cecily Thompson said:

I downloaded Evernote 6.6 on one of my iMacs last Wednesday. Since then, I either have not been able to see my latest notes ( app from the Apple Store), or when I do see my notes ( Evernote for Mac from the web), and I try to do anything....click on them or sync ... The account crashes.

however on my other machines ( another iMac and a MacBook), the account is ok. Evernote support has so far not solved the problem. HELP!!!

If you're talking with Evernote support, I would stick with them instead of following other's advice (including mine)

I'm not clear on what you mean about Evernote for Mac from the web.

My process for resolving this would be to completely remove Evernote from the machine; app and database.  Start fresh with a completely new reinstall.

Great News! got instructions from tech support that fixed the problem on my iMac:

first I had to secure all local notes by exporting them to Enex files ( don't have any, but after you reinstall Evernote, you have to bring them back)

then, I basically scrubbed the app off my computer by downloading an app called app cleaner, dragging the Evernote app to it and removing all related downloads etc.

then I went to Evernote web site and downloaded Evernote foe Mac.

now I see my notes, and they are syncing beautifully.

thank you, tech support!

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Cecily Thompson said:

Great News! got instructions from tech support that fixed the problem on my iMac:

first I had to secure all local notes by exporting them to Enex files ( don't have any, but after you reinstall Evernote, you have to bring them back)

then, I basically scrubbed the app off my computer by downloading an app called app cleaner, dragging the Evernote app to it and removing all related downloads etc.

Good to hear that you resolved your crashing issue.

Thanks for the tip about App Cleaner (Mac).
- Windows has an equivalent app called Revo 
- On the Mac, I just deleted the Evernote app and database manually

- On the iPad, I just deleted the Evernote app; this seemed to delete the data too

Also, the tip about exporting local notebooks.  
My backup process also includes a periodic export.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Cecily Thompson said:

Yep, when things get really messed up, a clean reinstall is often called for.
Personally, I prefer and use AppDelete for an app uninstaller.  Some app uninstallers do NOT get all of the hidden files.

To do a clean reinstall:
See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

BTW, I also recommend using the Direct Download version at Evernote.com, rather than the Mac App Store version.
From time to time, the App Store version has had bugs NOT in the Direct Download version.

Archived