What counts against the 100,000 tag limit?

I'm fairly new to serious Evernote usage, so this may be a silly, pie-in-the-sky question, but I was just wanting to know exactly what Evernote means when they say there's a "100,000 tag limit". It's a bit hard to explain, so let's use a hypothetical scenario:

I go to my completely empty tag list, and create 3 tags, "article", "book", and "movie". I now have 3 named categories of tags on my account. I then go and tag 4 notes with "article", 7 with "book", and 3 with "movie", for a total of 14 usages of tags on my account.

In that case, what is the 100,000 tag limit referring to? Can I create 99,997 more named categories of tags, and apply them infinitely to as many notes as I want? Or, regardless of how many named categories I set up, am I only allowed to make 99,986 more individual usages of tags across my notes?

• Level 5*
On 4/13/2016 at 5:50 PM, PolarisInParis said:

I'm fairly new to serious Evernote usage, so this may be a silly, pie-in-the-sky question, but I was just wanting to know exactly what Evernote means when they say there's a "100,000 tag limit"

It's very straight-forward.  Evernote means exactly what they state: 100,000 tags.  It doesn't matter how many times you assign a tag to a note.

But something tells me you will run into issues (yours and Evernote's) long before you reach 100,000 tags.  ;)

Archived