Search Operator for Literal Term on Mac Client

Hello there,

Might be a bit of a daft question but just trying to figure out what the search operator is for finding a literal term, e.g.: "evernote mac client" in a note.

I have used:

• the operator, i.e.:  matches: "evernote mac client"
  • quotations "evernote mac client"
  • simply typed out the search term evernote mac client

But for some reason, in addition to returning the section of the text where "evernote mac client" is found, it also returns dozen other single search items such as "mac" and also "client" wherever they are found in the text.

Can anybody advise on the correct search operator that simply only returns the instances of the literal term being searched for? I am using version 6.5.

Thanks

Chris

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Chris.ib said:

Might be a bit of a daft question but just trying to figure out what the search operator is for finding a literal term, e.g.: "evernote mac client" in a note.
I have used:

• the operator, i.e.:  matches: "evernote mac client"
  • quotations "evernote mac client"
  • simply typed out the search term evernote mac client

But for some reason, in addition to returning the section of the text where "evernote mac client" is found, it also returns dozen other single search items such as "mac" and also "client" wherever they are found in the text.

Can anybody advise on the correct search operator that simply only returns the instances of the literal term being searched for? I am using version 6.5.

You can read about search syntax at https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php

Personally, I would use quotes, as in "evernote mac client"

The documentation says

Punctuation is used to split the input query and document into words, but it is ignored for text matching. The behavior of a quoted search should behave as if the following operations were performed on both the search query and the target note:

- All XML markup is removed from the document, leaving only the visible text as a string

- The string is converted to a list of words which are separated by one or more whitespace and/or punctuation characters.

- The case of each word in the list is normalized

-The list of words in the query must match with the same sequence of words in the converted Note

For example, if a user searches for the phrase "Spatula! City! For Bargains..." against this ENML document:

The algorithm should convert the search phrase into a normalized list of words:

[ "spatula", "city", "for", "bargains" ]

And the document into:
[ "come", "down", "to", "spatula", "city", "for", "bargains", "on", "spatulas" ]

The search should match, since words from the target phrase are found in the list of words extracted from the document. (The same result could be implemented without literally converting each note into a list of words, but this gives the intended behavior that we see from major search engines like Google and MS.)

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Chris.ib said:

quotations "evernote mac client"

This should work.  I just tested it in EN Mac 6.6 on Yosemite (10.10.5), and it worked fine.

There is one exception:  Images -- it seems to find ANY of the words in the search in an image.

What versions of OS and Evernote are you running?

Archived