Is it possible to search only the first page of a PDF?

Joris Theunissen

Dear community,

I was wondering if it is possible to search only the text of the first page of a PDF file that is attached to a note.

The reason for this is that many of my acadamic papers involve large amounts of words. If I do a search on a topic, for example "author name of a paper" and "2002" I get unlimited results as almost every paper in my acadamic field refers to each other. Most acadamic papers have the most important stuff on the first page (authors, title, abstract, journal, year of publication etcetera).

Any tips on this? I tried searching the forum but could not find a similar topic.

Kind regards,

Joris Theunissen

• Level 5*

Probably not going to happen in EN,  Don't know if it is possible to OCR only one page in a PDF but you could try that.  You could extract the first page of each PDF to a note and have those notes in your search set.  IAC, it may be too much work.

You could put the paper title and authors name (plus whatever else you might want to search) in the note title, and then do intitle:"author name" intitle:"2002" type searches.  This could work if you like the look of the title and the first line search items fit in the title.

• Level 5*
On April 12, 2016 at 1:48 AM, Joris Theunissen said:

I was wondering if it is possible to search only the text of the first page of a PDF file that is attached to a note.

I've noticed if you encrypt a pdf, it will not be included in searches.  That would be a method to exclude the entire pdf 

For just the first page, I would include a screenshot or copy/paste.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, csihilling said:

Don't know if it is possible to OCR only one page in a PDF but you could try that.

In Adobe Acrobat, you can definitely choose which pages to OCR.  I don't know for sure, but I would expect most PDF tools that do OCR to also support this.

Another approach is to attach two PDFs:

1. The first is just the first page, to be used for OCR, search. inline viewing
  2. The second is the entire PDF, but encrypted, which prevents any search.
  • 1 year later...

I also have this same question -- and for the same reason. Has Evernote added the ability to search only the first page of a pdf when searching notes?

Messing around with encrypting parts of the pdf is not practical. I have 500+ papers in my Evernote notebook, and I want to be able to quickly pull up a certain paper with a simple search (instead what I get is that paper plus every paper that has cited it).

Thanks

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, elsevers said:

Has Evernote added the ability to search only the first page of a pdf when searching notes?

Evernote has not added the feature for searching only the first page.  There's no indication of an interest in this

>> I want to be able to quickly pull up a certain paper with a simple search

I have success with restricting my search to the note title using the intitle: parameter

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, elsevers said:

Messing around with encrypting parts of the pdf is not practical. I have 500+ papers in my Evernote notebook, and I want to be able to quickly pull up a certain paper with a simple search (instead what I get is that paper plus every paper that has cited it).

Best workaround may be to have the paper name in the note title and do Intitle: searches.  

Archived