Auditing what is SHARED in Evernote

Hello,

I'm writing here after the suggestion of the Support Team, and I will try to express my point of view.

There are 3 ways of sharing notes:

- by chat
- by sharing a notebook withs notes inside
- by link

the last, by link, is the only type of shared note that I can retrieve with the syntax (sharedate:*).

That syntax, is the closest way that Evernote actually has to retrieve all the shared notes.

BUT, with the other kinds of shared notes (by chat or by sharing a notebook with notes within), we don't have a syntax or a way of finding them all. As the Support Team explain me: the ONLY way is "manually" looking for them, and whatching one by one, the icon "shared" or the information tab, with "shared options".

However, I would like to say, as a humble feedback, that it is really uncomfortable for the users. At least in my case, with more than 4000 notes, is REALLY too difficult to manage my shared notes that way.

We must admit, also, that no matter the way you share a note, the concept "shared" must be one, or at least it's a bit confusing having 3 kinds of "shared notes".... so then, I don't really understand why it's so difficult to see all the shared notes, or why we don't have in Evernote a way of retrieve all the shared notes, as I was asking in my first inquiry on feb. 22 to the Support Team.

From my point of view, the most important thing with this, as I also was asking in first inquiry on feb. 22 (and that was the reason 'cause I sent that inquiry to the Security Team), is that awkward situations in managing of shared notes, can lead to Security issues.

Well, I hope that my experience with Evernote Shared Notes, help to develope new ideas about it.

Thanks for your time.

Best!

Carlos from Argentina

PS Sorry for my english

search.JPG

I, also, think you raise a good point. 

I will point out that you can also share by email. In that type of sharing they only get the contents of the note at that moment in an email and no future sharing occurs. 

I would say for now, that you might also consider creating a sharing notebook. You wouldn't have to share the whole notebook with anyone, but every note you want to share you could put in that notebook or put a copy in the notebook and then share from that notebook. 

On 11/4/2016 at 8:06, Candid dijo:

I, also, think you raise a good point. 

I will point out that you can also share by email. In that type of sharing they only get the contents of the note at that moment in an email and no future sharing occurs. 

I would say for now, that you might also consider creating a sharing notebook. You wouldn't have to share the whole notebook with anyone, but every note you want to share you could put in that notebook or put a copy in the notebook and then share from that notebook. 

Thanks Candid, for your answer. The method I used is a "Shared" TAG.

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, PlazaAtSensus said:

Thanks Candid, for your answer. The method I used is a "Shared" TAG

A "Shared" tag is a good idea.

You might want to expand that to a shortcut pointing to a saved search.  This allows me to also include my stack of shared notebooks without having to tag every note.

I think this is a great idea.  I'll discuss a potential "shared view" with the team to see what can be done. 

It is also worth noting that notebooks you have shared and joined will show up as different colors in the upcoming Windows v6.  This should make it much easier to quickly determine what has been shared at the notebook level.

hace 20 horas, csihilling dijo:

There is a shared column that you can display in list view.  Clueless as to how that field gets populated.  Just an FYI if you didn't know.

Thanks csihilling for your answer. Sadly, the field in the column "shared" don't include EVERY shared notes. For example, notes shared VIA CHAT or SHARED NOTEBOOK (with notes within) has that column EMPTY.

hace 7 horas, Automatica dijo:

I think this is a great idea.  I'll discuss a potential "shared view" with the team to see what can be done. 

It is also worth noting that notebooks you have shared and joined will show up as different colors in the upcoming Windows v6.  This should make it much easier to quickly determine what has been shared at the notebook level.

Thanks Automatica for your answer and for your kind and generous offer about discussing this idea with the team.

Indeed, as I said in my first post, I think that the "SHARED" subject it's a whole conceptual thing to analize. For example, in the last Windows release (v5.9.9.9915), there are still weird behaviors about sharing notes: if you create a note in a shared notebook, you can't move it to another notebook from the Windows app, but you could do it from a iOS Version.

What I mean with "conceptual thing" is that, as I said before, a shared note it's suposed to be a shared note, no matter the way you share it or the platform from you are viewing.

Thanks again for consider my humble point.

Archived