Marking up PDFs

Aston

Idea

Hi

I am an architect and I would like to use Evernote for marking up PDFs of drawings and other documents.

I like Skitch but would also find it useful if I could simply draw on PDFs like the writing capability in the Penultimate app.

Unfortunately the only drawing / freehand writing tool that can be used converts drawn lines into vector lines that are difficult to use as handwriting or drawing as the vector lines are too easily edited or moved unlike statick drawn lines.

Can Evernote please add a basic drawing tool to its PDF editing tool?

Thanks!

5 replies to this idea

I have done some research of my own into this and it seems that Evernote does not have to flexibility I am looking for.

It seems ok not alone in thinking this and a number of other users have reverted to an app called Notability for general note taking during meetings and annotating PDF drawings and documents. The articles I have read by others suggest then importing these marked up document to Evernote for storage.

Its a shame that this functionality is not integrated into Evernote and that a clunky feed in from a second app is required to realise this usability.

let me know if you have any other ideas!?

Hi, I also miss this functionality ... not to have advance pdf editing within EN (using apple pencil to draw, write in ...) is so frustrating. I do not want to export pdf out of Evernote and then bring it back ... this is so frustrating ... skitch is good enough to bring some arrow into pdf or image but for more serious altering of pdf it is useless ... I can't even rotate pdf within Evernote ... 

I am in the same boat as you.  I would love a better way to mark up PDFs in Evernote.  Stitch just doesn't cut it for me.  I recently purchased an iPad Pro (smaller version) with Apple Pencil and am using Notability for all of my written note-taking.  I loved the ability to design an organizer/note-taking/task list template, convert to PDF and write on in Notability.  At the end of the day, I export the final PDF into Evernote for storage and indexing.

This actually works quite well for me because with the iPad's split screen capability, I can be in Notability taking notes and split screen with Evernote to review notes from a previous meeting, etc as reference at the same time.

Regarding Note taking, the app Penultimate could be suffice for most note taking. Although extremely limited in comparison to Notability (an app I also use), at least Penultimate syncs with Evernote (Although in a non intuitive way) natively. But regarding pdf annotation - quite frankly the fact you can't use handwriting is absurd. The apple pencil support for annotation is non-existent due to an inherent lag in drawing the lines.

So yes, Penultimate (from Evernote) may be suffice for most of your note taking needs, however pdf mark ups in Evernote just isn't happening... yet.

I do like Penultimate, but I have not had the best of luck with the syncing of folders.  

One thing I have noticed with my method is that for some mysterious reason, Evernote doesn't recognize my handwriting in the notes from Notability that I save into Evernote as PDFs.  I have never had this problem before.  I specifically take my notes in neat printed penmanship so that I can search for text from my handwritten notes once saved in Evernote.  

Archived