Images Broken - Extremely Frusterated

I use the native snipping tool in Windows 7/10 to gather screenshots for my research and paste them directly into evernote.  I have found them to inconsistently break when I'm viewing them on other devices, irregardless of OS, platform, or if viewing on Evernote.com.  This has cost me several hours and the first time it happened I choose not to renew my premium subscription after I had to rebuild my notes from scratch based on this bug.

Does anyone have any insight as to why this is happening?  I paste images into my notes pretty regularly and when I actually need them I get the broken image icon.  I'm considering finding a different provider and am happy to shell out 5-6 /month to guarantee my notes will be as I left them but I figured I'd check here first cause I'm surely not the only one experiencing this problem.  Maybe there's a solution?

My workflow is simple:

- Create new note.
- Paste images and related information into my notes.
- Force synchronization (which I thought would avoid this issue, initially, turns out - it doesn't)
- Open my note on a different device = broken images.

I don't have time to upload them online, save them locally or manipulate beyond the snipping tool.  Doing so would murder my productivity.

It's important for me to note that I don't overwhelm my note with 100's of images - maybe 20-30 per note - but it breaks EVERYWHERE.  And it's not just isolated to one machine that I create notes with, this applies to several devices I create notes on, on different networks, with different OS versions, and it produces the same bug.  This morning, I noticed that the last 3 images out of maybe 17 or so are viewable - I created this note last night (see attachment).  Please fix or point me to an application that is reliable.  My time is valuable and I've already wasted more than I care to admit trying to resolve/workaround this limitation.

Help is appreciated.

example.JPG

To make matters worse - I just checked my account page and apparently I am still a Premium subscriber - I thought I had canceled it.  In any event, this should inform you that I'm nowhere near my allocated space requirement.

Capture1.JPG

I have been having similar issues.  I run Evernote in Windows 10.  I would often copy/paste a graphic/picture into an Evernote note.  Randomly, some of them revert to broken as you describe.  My work around:

Save the image as a file on my laptop.

Insert the image as an attachment.

So far, those seem stable.

This problem appeared in the last couple of weeks as far as I can tell.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem.  I was reviewing my Evernote notes this morning and my screenshot prints I pasted into Evernote on March 10, 2016 are now broken and just have a placeholder with the word "graphic". So disappointing since it took a lot of my time to select and paste multiple screenshots.  I can't replicate what I did.   I logged in online thinking my clips would show in the web version but they are broken there too.  I double clicked on them in the web version hoping they would open but now the placeholders are gone as well in both the web and my local version.  I don't know why the placeholders would disappear.   I have lost all confidence in using Evernote to capture pasted images which I do  a lot of.   I'm a premium user.

On 4/10/2016 at 11:44 AM, anaideia said:

I have the same problem.  I was reviewing my Evernote notes this morning and my screenshot prints I pasted into Evernote on March 10, 2016 are now broken and just have a placeholder with the word "graphic". So disappointing since it took a lot of my time to select and paste multiple screenshots.  I can't replicate what I did.   I logged in online thinking my clips would show in the web version but they are broken there too.  I double clicked on them in the web version hoping they would open but now the placeholders are gone as well in both the web and my local version.  I don't know why the placeholders would disappear.   I have lost all confidence in using Evernote to capture pasted images which I do  a lot of.   I'm a premium user.

On 4/2/2016 at 9:40 AM, eafpres said:

I have been having similar issues.  I run Evernote in Windows 10.  I would often copy/paste a graphic/picture into an Evernote note.  Randomly, some of them revert to broken as you describe.  My work around:

Save the image as a file on my laptop.

Insert the image as an attachment.

So far, those seem stable.

This problem appeared in the last couple of weeks as far as I can tell.

I was pissed off too but I talked to support that confirmed this is a known issue that they're trying to address.  I didn't get an ETA in our correspondence, but he did turn me onto something that I've found to work out a little better anyway.  Hopefully this works for you too:

Open Evernote

Tools > Options > Hot Keys (and set the "Capture Screen" hotkey - I have mine set to just PrtScn, anytime I hit it the crosshairs immediately appear)

It works just like the Windows snipping tool except after you've captured it, it automatically creates a new note with your capture inside. To capture your screen and copy the image directly to the clipboard WITHOUT creating a new note hold down CTRL before hitting your Capture Screen hotkey.

The tech assured me that there have been no bugs reported pasting from clipboard using the native Evernote capture feature.   They have received many complaints pasting images using other methods.

I've been using it since a day after I opened this thread and so far so good.

10 hours ago, Emiaj said:

I was pissed off too but I talked to support that confirmed this is a known issue that they're trying to address.  I didn't get an ETA in our correspondence, but he did turn me onto something that I've found to work out a little better anyway.  Hopefully this works for you too:

Open Evernote

Tools > Options > Hot Keys (and set the "Capture Screen" hotkey - I have mine set to just PrtScn, anytime I hit it the crosshairs immediately appear)

It works just like the Windows snipping tool except after you've captured it, it automatically creates a new note with your capture inside. To capture your screen and copy the image directly to the clipboard WITHOUT creating a new note hold down CTRL before hitting your Capture Screen hotkey.

The tech assured me that there have been no bugs reported pasting from clipboard using the native Evernote capture feature.   They have received many complaints pasting images using other methods.

I've been using it since a day after I opened this thread and so far so good.

Thanks for this tip. I will start using Evernote's screen clip feature and see if I have any more issues with broken image links.  I have been using Fastone Capture for years.  If anyone out there has had the same issue but with Evernote's screen clip feature, please post to let us know.  I hate to spend time saving clips to only find them broken later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I wanted to ping again.  As far as I can tell, the problem is there.  Would be nice to know if Evernote is working on it.  Anyone?

Update: this may be fixed, somewhat, by a beta release:

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Same problem here. Oddly, on my phone, the images show up fine, but in my desktop browser (Mac Firefox), the images are broken. I use Evernote far more on my desktop, so I wish they would appear there. Regardless, though, it should work across the board.

I currently use the free service, so I hesitate to complain, but I'd be happy to pay for the Premium service if there is a fix that exists there.

• 1 year later...

Archived