Lots of Gb gone due to "no connection" setting??

After adding notes to notebook, I realize that my 27 Gb of free space in my Mac dropped to 10 Gb.

I read that this is due to "no connection needed" settings. OK, just change that, I'll manage with local only utility...

Not possible. Evernote says I cannot change that setting for a notebook... after created.

Does anybody know how to set up a "no connection needed" before creating a Notebook?....

That's not all unfortunately... Removed all notes within notebook, emptied Evernote Trash. Deleted even the evernote app from my Mac... still my free space only lifted to 14 Gb!! Lost them forever?....:wub:

Captura de pantalla 2016-03-28 a las 11.14.38.png

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, anazacco said:

After adding notes to notebook, I realize that my 27 Gb of free space in my Mac dropped to 10 Gb.
I read that this is due to "no connection needed" settings. OK, just change that, I'll manage with local only utility...
Not possible. Evernote says I cannot change that setting for a notebook... after created.
Does anybody know how to set up a "no connection needed" before creating a Notebook?....
That's not all unfortunately... Removed all notes within notebook, emptied Evernote Trash. Deleted even the evernote app from my Mac... still my free space only lifted to 14 Gb!! Lost them forever?....

When you say "no connection needed" are you referring to "Local Notebooks"?
As per the screenshot below: File > New Notebook > Local Notebook

Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 9.43.23 AM.png

>>your space problem 27GB to 10GB.
What were you adding into Evernote?  I have 6000+ notes and my database is less than 3GB
You should not be seeing that kind of hit on storage - which you confirmed by deleting Evernote.

Regardless, you may have the wrong idea about local notebooks.
It will not resolve your space problem - only stop your data from being uploaded to the Evernote servers.
The desktop platforms keep a copy of all your Evernote data on the device.

>>Removed all notes within notebook, emptied Evernote Trash. Deleted even the evernote app from my Mac... still my free space only lifted to 14 Gb!! Lost them forever?....

Sorry - that seems to be the logical consequence of completely deleting your data.  No backups?

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I was referring to Local Notebook.

I understand that the default setting for my Default user's Notebook was "Local".

I have two Macbooks. This morning (it's 6:55 PM now in Spain) I added about 30 simple websites (from Favourites). That was all I did. Before that, free space in one was 25 Gb and 27 Gb in the other. Both had dropped to 10 Gb and 11 Gb.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, anazacco said:

I have two Macbooks. This morning (it's 6:55 PM now in Spain) I added about 30 simple websites (from Favourites). That was all I did. Before that, free space in one was 25 Gb and 27 Gb in the other. Both had dropped to 10 Gb and 11 Gb.

Can you confirm your Evernote database size in Finder.
To find the location, in Evernote, click on Evernote > About Evernote; press the option key and then click on Open Databse Folder

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

>>Removed all notes within notebook, emptied Evernote Trash. Deleted even the evernote app from my Mac... still my free space only lifted to 14 Gb!! Lost them forever?....

Sorry - that seems to be the logical consequence of completely deleting your data.  No backups?

I never deleted my data. There was 25 Gb free space before creating notes and there were 10 Gb AFTER that. (I have been deleting some iBooks in order to get some free space back)

Yes, I do keep backups of all my data. That's not the problem.

I just tried again, after creating a Sincronized Notebook -there should not affect my hard disk free space, right? (it was this one http://www.bakadesuyo.com/2012/10/4-secrets-to-reading-body-language-like-an-ex/)

I was checking carefully before and after adding each into the new created Sincronized notebook... 20.10 Gb before adding that website url and 20.07 Gb AFTER that.

30 Mb less when a Sincronized Notebook is supposed not to take free space?... Cannot understand.

Any solution or explanation?... I obviously cannot trust or use Evernote without resolving this.

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, anazacco said:

30 Mb less when a Sincronized Notebook is supposed not to take free space?... Cannot understand.

Any solution or explanation?... I obviously cannot trust or use Evernote without resolving this.

Your Evernote data is stored on your device, and takes up storage space.

When notebooks are synchronized, a copy is sent to the Evernote servers.  You still have the copy on your device taking up storage space.

This still doesn't explain why so much storage is being used.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, anazacco said:

I added about 30 simple websites (from Favourites). That was all I did. Before that, free space in one was 25 Gb and 27 Gb in the other. Both had dropped to 10 Gb and 11 Gb.

It is highly unlikely that clipping of 30 web pages ("pages", not "sites", right?) would consume 15 GB of storage, unless they all happened to contain very high resolution images or videos.

So, this indicates to me that something else is going on.

Let's try some diagnostics.

1.  Double-check Size of Notes you just clipped

• In EN Mac, Goto View > Top List view
  • If the "Size" column is not showing, right-click on the column headers and click on "Size" to add it
  • Sort the list by Updated.  Click on the "Updated column until it shown a small down arrow
  • Go to the top of the list
  • Review your last 30 or so Notes (the one's you clipped from the web site), and note the size.
  • Does the sum of the size of these notes add up to anything near 15GB?
  • Also try this:  sort the Note list on Size, descending.  See any really large notes?

2.  Test for Storage added for one or two web pages

• Goto Apple menu, About this Mac, Storage Tab
  • make a screen shot of this window for comparison later
  • Make a web clipping of the most complex, largest, web page that you clipped before
  • Sync EN Mac
  • Goto the Top List view, and note the Size of this new note
  • Goto Apple menu, About this Mac, Storage Tab, and make another screen shot
  • Compare the storage sizes in the two screenshots
  • Any big changes?
  • Reports the differences here
  • In fact, it would be great if you could post both screen shots here.

Here's another idea:

• Create an EN Note to record all of your tests and results, including screen shots
  • Share this one note as a Public URL, and post the link here.
  • Please note that if you want me to help, then your note will need to be in English.

One final point of clarification.  ALL notes entered into EN Mac, whether in Local Notebooks or Sync'd Notebooks, will be stored on your local Mac drive.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

("pages", not "sites", right?) ---> Yes, sorry.

5 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

1.  Double-check Size of Notes you just clipped

• Review your last 30 or so Notes (the one's you clipped from the web site), and note the size.
  • ---> I deleted yesterday the 30. Added one for test purposes (same as mentioned yesterday)
  • Does the sum of the size of these notes add up to anything near 15GB?
  • ---> in this case, its size is 484 Kb. Storage capacity in Finder though dropped from 17,28 Gb before adding note to 17,25 Gb (according to Finder info) immediately after adding note. Again 30 Mb...
  • Also try this:  sort the Note list on Size, descending.  See any really large notes?

2.  Test for Storage added for one or two web pages

• Goto Apple menu, About this Mac, Storage Tab
  • make a screen shot of this window for comparison later
  • ---> Done. 13.94 Gb (17.51Gb on Finder "Macintosh HD") -sorry, forgot screenshot.
  • Note: so far, when mentioning free storage space I was referring to Finder info. See below.
  • Make a web clipping of the most complex, largest, web page that you clipped before
  • ---> all of the added formerly were roughly equally complex. I can't tell. I chose the same as yesterday (484 Kb) but choosing "save complete webpage" (3rd option when saving)
  • Sync EN Mac
  • Goto the Top List view, and note the Size of this new note
  • ---> 528 Kb
  • Goto Apple menu, About this Mac, Storage Tab, and make another screen shot
  • ---> 13.94 Gb (17,47 Gb on Finder "Macintosh HD") -this time I made screenshot... although it looked the same.
  • Compare the storage sizes in the two screenshots
  • Any big changes?
  • Reports the differences here
  • ---> 0 Gb on Mac storage - 40 Mb according to Finder (?...)
  • In fact, it would be great if you could post both screen shots here.
  • ---> as I said, I forgot to make the first. I attach the second.

Here's another idea:

• Create an EN Note to record all of your tests and results, including screen shots
  • Share this one note as a Public URL, and post the link here.
  • ---> My conclusion is that storage info on Finder is not real (this is not my first experience in relation to this), but the storage info on "About this Mac". If you consider it useful, I would do that -in this case, please let me know how to share as Public URL.
  • Please note that if you want me to help, then your note will need to be in English.

One final point of clarification.  ALL notes entered into EN Mac, whether in Local Notebooks or Sync'd Notebooks, will be stored on your local Mac drive. 

---> I saw this explained by DTLow. I was mentally comparing to Dropbox where you can choose whether you want or not your uploaded stuff also on your HD, this obviously taking storage space (yes, DB does not keep webpages as far as I know).

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

A million thanks for your helping! Your final conclusions will be appreciated.

Captura de pantalla 2016-03-29 a las 8.45.22.png

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, anazacco said:

A million thanks for your helping! Your final conclusions will be appreciated.

I don't see anything that looks like an EN Mac issue.

Evernote Mac uses considerably more storage space on your local Mac drive than is required for the note contents alone.  The local storage actually consumed can range from 3X to 20X or more of the size of the note contents, as indicated by the "content.enml" file.  This file does NOT include any attachments or images you may have.

For details, see this EN Mac Note that I have published:
[EN] Understanding EN Mac Local File Storage

9 hours ago, anazacco said:

please let me know how to share as Public URL.

1. Select the note to share.
  2. Goto Note > More Sharing > Copy Public link
  3. Paste this public link into a forum post or email where you would like to share the note.

The shared note is read only to the recipients, and is not discoverable by others using search, Google or otherwise.

Thanks for your follow-up, JMichael.

2 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Evernote Mac uses considerably more storage space on your local Mac drive than is required for the note contents alone.  The local storage actually consumed can range from 3X to 20X or more of the size of the note contents

Is seems clear that 30 Mb is far more than 3X even 20X that original webpage's size of 528 Kb. The point is... why?

2 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Select the note to share.

1. Goto Note > More Sharing > Copy Public link
  2. Paste this public link into a forum post or email where you would like to share the note.

The shared note is read only to the recipients, and is not discoverable by others using search, Google or otherwise.

Do you mean to share my problem in case the same would happen to any other user? If so, will do.

I'll have a look at your Mac Note.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, anazacco said:

Is seems clear that 30 Mb is far more than 3X even 20X that original webpage's size of 528 Kb. The point is... why?

I don't know.  This type of problem is too difficult to accurately diagnose remotely, without access to your Mac (which I am NOT asking for).
All I can tell you at this point is that on my Mac, 16,000+ notes require only 8.48GB of local storage, which seems reasonable to me.
There may be periods during EN Mac updates, or switching from App Store ver to Direct Download version that you will temporarily have a larger amount of storage used.  But when the switch is complete or the update has fully finished, then this temp storage should be freed up.

To resolve this issue, I suggest you submit a support ticket to Evernote:

Submit an EN Support Ticket 

Thanks, I submitted one yesterday and they say they are on it.

"Do you mean to share my problem in case the same would happen to any other user? If so, will do." --> ?

Those roughly 15 Gb though are gone forever. Just gone... I have moved some files onto an external disk to get some back, like in old times :wacko:

Gratefully, from Spain.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, anazacco said:

Those roughly 15 Gb though are gone forever. Just gone.

Well, unless you drilled a hole in your SSD, they are there somewhere.  LOL

I know 15 GB is a lot on a 128GB SSD, so if you want to go after them you can try this:

1. Record your current storage[1]
  2. Backup your Local Notebooks (export to ENEX, 1 NB per ENEX, named for the NB)
  3. Quit/stop Evernote app and Evernote Helper app (in menu bar)
  4. Completely remove everything Evernote using an uninstaller like AppDelete (my personal pref)
  5. Restart and record your current storage.
  6. Install EN Mac direct download from the Evernote.com site.
  7. Start EN Mac and let it sync (download) and run a few hours to complete.
  8. Restore your Local Notebooks by import of ENEX (from #2)
  9. Restart and record your current storage.

Hopefully your 15 GB MIA will return.

[1] -- Get a screenshot of Apple > About this Mac > Storage

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, anazacco said:

Thanks, Guru!

You're welcome, but please call me JMichaelTX or Explorer.  "Guru" is a meaningless label the forum software gives everyone with 300 or most posts.

18 minutes ago, anazacco said:

here it's late and I'm sleepy

I thought you Spanish folks don't get started until at least 10 pm local time.  LOL

Good night.  Sleep well.

• Level 5*
On 3/30/2016 at 5:14 AM, anazacco said:

(By the way... not all Spaniards are the same. Northern Spaniards sleep earlier than Southern... We are responsible people and mind that we have to get up early and be on time at our jobs... :D)

Sorry, I know better than generalizing like that -- I was just trying to be cute, and obviously failed.  :(

Many people make the same bad assumption about Texas, and us Texans.  I'm sure you've heard how big our state is.
It is so big that a visit to any one city or region cannot give the visitor a good understanding of other areas/people in the state.

But I guess we are all subject to stereotypes of one kind or another.  Hope things are going well for you in your Evernote cleanup/recovery project.

No problem, it's true that we are all bound to stereotypes. I haven't been to Texas :)

My Evernote is sleeping. Maybe some day I'll get to know where those 15 Gb went off. I moved some files to an external HD to get some back, but...

Thanks again for your kindness and assistance!

Archived