OS 10.11.4 Puts Notes Ahead of Evernote?

Byter_1

Idea

Today, Apple released OS X 10.11.4. It includes 

• Adds the ability to passcode-protect notes containing personal data in Notes
  • Adds the ability to sort notes alphabetically, by date created, or date modified in Notes
  • Adds the ability to import Evernote files into Notes

The first two are features Mac users have been asking of Evernote for years and now it seems Apple is reading this forum more closely and with more conviction than Evernote itself.  Will Evernote compete by adding the sorting feature and password feature or concede these issues to Apple?  One wonders just how competitive Apple will make notes.  I know I could be tempted to switch to save $50 a year. 

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Byter68 said:

Will Evernote compete by adding the sorting feature

I thought Evernote had these sort features
See below for a screenshot from my Mac

>>I know I could be tempted to switch to save $50 a year. 
Why don't you give it a try with a small section of your notes.
I wasn't impressed by the results,
but I can see this will attract the less serious Evernote users - but then I wonder how many of them actually pay for the service.

56f13118c4fbc_ScreenShot2016-03-22at4.43

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Byter68 said:

• Adds the ability to sort notes alphabetically, by date created, or date modified in Notes

The first two are features Mac users have been asking of Evernote for years and now it seems Apple is reading this forum more closely and with more conviction than Evernote itself.  Will Evernote compete by adding the sorting feature and password feature or concede these issues to Apple?  One wonders just how competitive Apple will make notes.  I know I could be tempted to switch to save $50 a year. 

1. Apple Notes does have a passcode protect feature now, and it does seem to be encrypted as well, so it is pretty much perfect for my needs. Indeed, I have been asking Evernote to add encryption for years now, and Apple has gone ahead and done it. Other applications (VoodooPad, DEVONthink, OneNote, etc.) have had encryption for a while now as well, so I would say Evernote has fallen far behind the curve in the last few years. It's unfortunate and I don't know why they have refused to prioritize this feature.

2. Evernote on iOS sorts by date created, date updated, and title. In addition, you can search with all kinds of fabulous tools (see the Evernote search grammar). I don't see how Notes is ahead of Evernote in this respect. Evernote used to have more sort options, it is true, but those were taken out for some reason. The gold standard, as it has been for 8 years now, is Microsoft Windows, where you have the most options. This would be one reason to consider a Surface Pro (or other Microsoft tablet device).

3. Sure, you can get Evernote notes in, but good luck getting stuff out of Notes as anything besides a PDF, one note at a time. If you accumulate a lot of notes (I have tens of thousands), then Notes is simply not worth considering. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

3. Sure, you can get Evernote notes in, but good luck getting stuff out of Notes as anything besides a PDF, one note at a time.

Apple Notes is fully scriptable, and has been for a while.  Using AppleScript, you can easily automate export of notes from Apple Notes into many other apps, files, formats.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Apple Notes is fully scriptable, and has been for a while.  Using AppleScript, you can easily automate export of notes from Apple Notes into many other apps, files, formats.

Thanks. That is good to know. I will give it a try.

On March 22, 2016 at 4:36 AM, Byter68 said:

Password protection for individual notes is not a hard sell at all. I, too, am having to seriously consider whether it's worth it to keep EN Premium, and just switch to Apple Notes full-time. I'm not saying Evernote as a service is bad but I think it's a tad overpriced for what it does, or more specifically, what it doesn't do.

My subscription expires in six months, I might be swayed to stay if I saw ...

• 100% at-rest encryption for both notes and/or notebooks.
  • Zero advertising for paid subscribers, especially Premium. I see this more on the PC version than Mac version, though.
  • Eliminate the 200MB note limit for Premium subscribers.

Archived