Dead Elephant: Clipper Crashing/Unusable on Desktop Safari

powerseed

OS 10.11.3 | Safari 9.0.3 | Clipper 6.7.1

For at least the past year, I've had continuous, daily issues with the Safari Clipper desktop extension crashing. Using various un-replicable permutations of un-instail/re-install/restart Safari/cold shutdowns/etc. I could often get Clipper to work temporariy but all is lost after shutdown and, on reboot, I'm invariably faced with a dead elephant in the menu bar. Lately, I can't even get Ciipper up for a session--just an endless hang of the Evernote spinning dot, delay icon.

In reviewing this forum, I see this Safari-related issue has been pervasive, longstanding and, based on lack of correction, largely ignored. The latest statement from EN in this forum was a 2/11/16 "we're aware and working on it" response. Five weeks later, NADA! One would think a basic functionality issue like this would receive the highest priority. This dead elephant is beginning to stink!

elephant-in-the-room-2.jpgWeb clipper, when working, is a wonderful, time saving tool. From my perspective it accounts for 80% of my use of EN. If you share this problem, please join me by sending in a BUG report ticket as previously suggested by Forum Guru, JMichaelTX:

"I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

Since Evernote now is providing official support to all users via Twitter, you might post your issue on Twitter @evernotehelps.  It might also be good to include a link back to your post on the forum."

Yours for a functioning Web Clipper!

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, powerseed said:

In reviewing this forum, I see this Safari-related issue has been pervasive, longstanding and, based on lack of correction, largely ignored. The latest statement from EN in this forum was a 2/11/16 "we're aware and working on it" response. Five weeks later, NADA! One would think a basic functionality issue like this would receive the highest priority.

This is really unacceptable.  Web Clipping is one of the key features of Evernote.  Safari is probably the most used browser on a Mac.  Making the Evernote Web Clipper work in Safari should be a very high priority for Evernote.

@rubenb:  I understand you are the new (as of a few months ago) Web Clipper product manager for Evernote.  Is this correct?

If so, how do you explain allowing the Safari Web Clipper to be broke for so long?

@gbarry, can you please help get this fixed?

On 3/22/2016 at 2:45 PM, powerseed said:

Great--can't wait for that release! Any visibility of when?

We really appreciate your involvement with the EN user community, Ruben:D

Sure. Try the following .safarixtz build and see if there is any improvement for the issue that you're encountering: 

link

13 hours ago, CathyLi said:

I have the same issue as yours. I wrote the feedback to the support hope they can solve the problem. It is so annoying that the web clipper doesn't actually work.

Have you had a chance to try installing the build I posted? I would like to see if it helps.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, chanatx said:

Have you had a chance to try installing the build I posted? I would like to see if it helps.

On 3/23/2016 at 2:13 PM, chanatx said:

Sure. Try the following .safarixtz build and see if there is any improvement for the issue that you're encountering: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bpi5wgk690mufm1/CC_6.8.0.19.zip?dl=0

Your link is gone:

The file you’re looking for has been moved or deleted.
Please see this article for details on why a shared link might stop working.

On 3/25/2016 at 1:26 PM, chanatx said:

Try this link.

I installed that build Ver 6.8.0.19 and it worked fine for one session but Clipper wouldn't activate after a reboot. I've now switched over to Chrome and find that Clipper working delightfully. Will be happy to test future Safari Clipper builds.

Just now, powerseed said:

I installed that build Ver 6.8.0.19 and it worked fine for one session but Clipper wouldn't activate after a reboot. I've now switched over to Chrome and find that Clipper working delightfully. Will be happy to test future Safari Clipper builds.

Thanks for the feedback.

Archived