(Archived) some more

* the database is saved in "my documents" - does not belong there! See here: http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archi ... 74334.aspx

basically it says: "Everything in the My Documents folder the user should be able to point to and say, "I remember creating that file on such-and-such date when I did a 'Save' from Program Q." If it doesn't pass that test, then don't put it into My Documents. Use Application Data."

Please, please, change that before the release. It's a small change in the code but removes a huge annoyance.

* somewhat related: there's no option anymore to change the save location of the DB (at least I haven't found it)

* while it's possible to select multiple notes and drag them by dragging one of the selected note headers, it is not possible to drag selected notes from the note list. This is not very intuitive: users most likely will try to drag the notes selected in the note list, not one of the note headers even if multiple notes are selected

* when dragging notes from EverNote2 to Evernote3, the 'creation date' of the notes is not preserved, the dropped notes in EN3 have the current date as the creation date.

* the database is saved in "my documents" - does not belong there! See here: http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archi ... 74334.aspx

basically it says: "Everything in the My Documents folder the user should be able to point to and say, "I remember creating that file on such-and-such date when I did a 'Save' from Program Q." If it doesn't pass that test, then don't put it into My Documents. Use Application Data."

Please, please, change that before the release. It's a small change in the code but removes a huge annoyance.

I'm sorry, but that's a matter of preference. Personally, I put as much as I can into My Documents, as that's what I back up. It annoys me to no end to discover a program that won't let me save my data in My Documents. And honestly, the database is data - belonging to me, not some disposable ***** for the program itself. I will forgive a program for hoarding its setting information somewhere else; I will not forgive one for locking *my* data away.

That said, I'm all for allowing the user to change where he/she wants to store their databases.

I'm sorry, but that's a matter of preference.

Not really. You could argue that, but if you look closer you will discover that it's not: there are differences between "my documents" and "application data" regarding to roaming profiles in a windows domain. It doesn't really matter for a home PC, but if you're part of a windows domain which is set up for backup of every PC part of that domain, such data has to reside in "application data", not in "my documents" - because companies usually only backup what's important and let users store personal (not company related) data in "my documents" (that's what it's there for), which means that folder isn't backed up.

The default must be to use "application data", best to make it configurable - you could then let those be saved to "my documents" if you still want.

Stefan

because companies usually only backup what's important and let users store personal (not company related) data in "my documents" (that's what it's there for), which means that folder isn't backed up.

Usually that lasts a week to a month, then the company starts backing up everything because they're swamped with support calls. It's rather silly to not back up everything.

Vista changes this system rather drastically: There is no "My ____," and even user files are not really stored under "My Documents" anymore. Everything is under your user name, and without the "My." For example, here's a part of my tree (using "Name" instead of my actual name):

Name\Documents

Name\Music

Name\Desktop

Application data in Vista is stored here:

Name\AppData\Local

Name\AppData\LocalLow

Name\AppData\Roaming

. . . where AppData is a hidden folder.

The key question is: Is this database to be treated as a file, which can be opened, saved, closed, moved, etc? Or is it a permanent data structure that the user can't save. move, open, close, etc?

If the user can save it and move it, it belongs in "My Documents" (in XP) or "Documents" (in Vista). Otherwise, it should probably go with the other profile information.

So the key issue is: Is this considered to be a document, like a standalone application? Or is this considered to be part of a profile, like a web app?

I think the big movement to put stuff "in the cloud" is making this - and a lot of other issues - cloudy.

Yes, yes, please make this change. The source data is stored on the web - the local copy is just a local cache.

Plus, placing the database file in the Documents folder causes incompatibilities with file synchronization software such as FolderShare. I.e. I cannot run Evernote and FolderShare at the same time - I need to specify the database location to be in a non-monitored folder. Because the Documents is for MY documents, I need to monitor it for synchronization.

The user should be able to move a file to

the best location for the user's setup

--being forced into using a file location is not useful

when the set up needs the flexibility to move to best

place to use available resources

hopefully this will be available in final product

Archived