OneNote importer from Evernote

• Level 5

Paul Thurrott mentioned this new feature on Windows Weekly podcast 457. (I have not tried it yet). This tool will enable users to import their Evernote content to OneNote. The tool only available for Windows works on Windows 7 or later PCs. After importing the Evernote notes, users will also be able to sync across all the devices including Mac, iOS and Android. The tool will be soon rolled out to the Mac platform as well.

With competition in this industry getting tougher each passing day, Microsoft has decided to take matters into own hands as far as the OneNote app is concerned. The company now wants users of its competitor Evernote to move to OneNote without going through so much trouble. To ensure this is successful, Microsoft has developed a new OneNote Importer Tool aimed at helping any willing person easily move from Evernote to OneNote with their entire content with no hassles.

http://www.cio.com/article/3043478/mobile-apps/microsofts-new-onenote-import-tool-makes-it-simple-to-switch-from-evernote.html

Here is a link with a comparison of the two programs:

http://www.onenote.com/import-evernote-to-onenote

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

I was confused by the excerpt below regarding tags.  
Can anyone explain what "where to place the notes" means
and surely it can't be correct that multiple-tag notes would be excluded

If you have Evernote notes with multiple tags, the tool only uses the first tag to determine where to place the notes. In other words, the tool doesn't create OneNote notes from single Evernote notes that are imported with multiple tags.

• Level 5
26 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I was confused by the excerpt below regarding tags.  
Can anyone explain what "where to place the notes" means
and surely it can't be correct that multiple-tag notes would be excluded

What happens if I have Evernote pages with multiple tags? Will I get duplicate pages in OneNote? 
No, we’ll only look at the first tag to determine where we place that page. To make things easy to find, we’ll write every tag that you had in Evernote on the OneNote page so you can find everything easily through OneNote’s instant search.

What will my notes look like in OneNote? 
We’ll create a new OneNote notebook for each Evernote notebook. Each Evernote page will be a page in OneNote. Optionally, you can also use Evernote tags to organize your notes within your notebook. Each tag will become a section in OneNote that contains the pages that are tagged with that term.

I chose NOT to create sections based on tag (btw, it is OFF by default), but it does still take the tags and edit them into the note #php #2015 like that. The one real issue that I had was that it DID NOT import the clip URL. If you clip with the OneNote clipper, it adds the URL at the bottom (would have loved the top), but imported notes are missing this detail (though if there is a link on the page itself, that still works and can get you to the original location).

• Level 5

Not importing the URL is a major show stopper for me.

I found out this is a beta release. Personally, I avoid all betas until the software is officially released.

The Redmond-based company released a beta version of its OneNote importer tool for Windows on Friday. It allows any user to migrate their Evernote notebooks into Microsoft’s note-taking system. Users install the tool, select the notebooks they want to migrate to OneNote, and then sit back and wait while the importer works its magic. 

Microsoft expects to gather feedback from users after releasing the beta importer, and it will use that information to improve the tool.

Darren Austin, OneNote’s director of product management, said some OneNote users like the product’s structure because its notebook-tab-page design convention is something they can easily grasp and are able to adopt quickly. 

“That said, it’s also one of our limitations,” Austin said. “Because while some people gravitate to it very naturally, other users don’t. And especially new users have a hard time grasping it on occasion.”

For that reason, Austin said OneNote’s design might see some tweaks in the future as Microsoft tries to make it appealing and useful for both people who like rigidly organized notebooks and those who want less structure.

• Level 5*

I generally agree with the reluctance to try betas. However, Evernote seems to have been almost permanently in a beta stage. Even the public releases have incomplete or improperly functioning features. I have not looked at importing my Evernote notes into OneNote. Yet. I just looked at OneNote 2016. It is a big improvement over the earlier versions, and I might be tempted to use it in the future. For now, though, I do have a lot of reservations about posting my notes to the cloud - I haven't figured out if they are all securely encrypted. I keep a lot of my Evernote notes in local notebooks so that they are only on my home computer (with back-ups, of course!).

I don't think this is the right place for a review of OneNote's features and benefits, but I think the Evernote team needs to step up their game several notches (and soon!) if they do not want to lose large numbers of subscribers (and non-premium users) to OneNote. I made the decision a long time ago to use the Redmond-based Office solution, and having a program that is integrated with that makes a lot of sense to me. I will be watching developments in this space with great interest!

Agreed. Beta can be dicey, but I am no longer a premium user finally. 

It is a different "head" and their notebook management AND search could be smoother, but for the most part I am happy with the shift. The access to create rich content is nice and it works really well with my stylus on my phone... Anyway, the competition has heated up. I will admit to being fickle, and will spend my dollars where I get the most return. Or spend my time where I get the most return for free products. I could come back, but not this month.

Does anyone know how to import only evernote tags to onenote tags? That would be a dealbreaker to me, because I use both EN and ON and would like to trasnfer zilion evernote tags to ON and not create them one by one

• Level 5
On 3/25/2016 at 8:36 PM, jpaz said:

import only evernote tags to onenote tags?

I used to use a 3rd party program that worked with Evernote called Tag Hunter. Unfortunately, Evernote pulled the rug out from underneath the developer  by changing some internal Evernote computer coding (COM interface) and he had to walk away. 

Tag Hunter was a super program. I could export my tags to an Excel spreadsheet and do all sorts of in-depth analysis. Here is small portion of my acronym tags.

It would be great if Evernote permitted the export of just tags for analysis and housekeeping purposes. I am not aware of any current method to accomplish this with Evernote Windows.

Archived