OS X Feature Request - Merging Notes

Byter_1

Idea

Merging notes in OS X is chaotic currently.  Notes merge in the order they were added to Evernote with the newest note first and oldest note last according to the date last modified.  OS X Evernote does not merge these notes in the order selected like Windows Evernote does.  In OS X, to get notes in the order you want, you have to manipulate the modified date by adding / deleting a character to the files - editing the note you want to show last in the merge first and modifying the note you want to appear first last.  Life for us Mac users would be so much easier if we had the same "Merge in the order selected" capability that I understand Windows users enjoy.

Mac users have been waiting for this feature to appear for at least two years as evidenced in this thread.      

Please help us out Evernote

• Like 5

37 replies to this idea

On 8/23/2020 at 11:16 PM, EdH said:

We have voted for it. 

The vote feature here is kinda lame. Not many Evernote users are even on this forum, much less understand how the voting works. But this idea has been around going on 5 years and it never happens. 

Nailed it.......👏  Time to throw a few grenades on Twitter and Reditt

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On March 17, 2016 at 5:49 PM, Byter68 said:

Merging notes in OS X is chaotic currently.  ....  Life for us Mac users would be so much easier if we had the same "Merge in the order selected" capability that I understand Windows users enjoy.

Please use the voting buttons in the upper left corner to indicate your support for this request.  The vote is currently ... 5

I find the Mac merging order more of a design choice than chaotic.  The notes are merged in the order displayed.

If the notes are displayed as A B C, then that's how they are merged, regardless of how you select them. You can adjust the order of display (CreateDate/UpdateDate/Title).  In title order, you can adjust the title.

• Like 1

Yes, would love to have this feature too. For such a great tool as Evernote, it's silly to force users to fiddle about with workarounds for this (e.g. changing the sort order artificially to make the one whose heading you want to preserve uppermost).

It's about filing and sorting and should be a simple operation. Instead it creates a waste of time and a frustrating distraction from the job at hand. 

It has now been over one additional year we've had to deal with this issue after it was added as a Feature Request in this area of the Forum, and the votes are now up to 22 as of the writing of this post. I wonder what it takes to get Evernote to consider it seriously. In my opinion, it is a bug or a missing feature versus a design choice, as has been suggested. If users have to first manipulate each note to be merged by editing them in a specific order, that simply can't be considered a user experience choice. The logical way this should function is how the Windows version has for years (it seems)—it should merge the notes in the order the user selects them.

It would also be helpful if there was a way to determine if the Evernote personnel responsible for deciding whether to implement it have read the request.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

What is so INSANELY frustrating about this is the Windows client has been able to do this for years - since merge was introduced. I am to the point on my Mac when I want to merge stuff, I just tag it with temporary tags, then when I get to my PC, I find those tags, do the merges, and remove the tags.

Sadly, they are probably working on another new feature for Macs that no one is asking for, and this one will still be talked about in 2019.

• Like 2

14 months later after the opening request at the top:  Please allow MAC to do the same simple merge-order function as PC-Windows!  

Yes, I've already upvoted.  Every work-around is an inefficient pain in the backside, especially for those of us who merge frequently.   I tend to think that the upvote count here is a tip of the iceberg.  Just Google the problem to see how many complaints are coming from Mac users on this issue.

• Like 1

Evernote your gonna start losing a lot of customers if you continue to allow threads like this to go unacknowledged. Cant you make a note to manage your customer service? These people are giving amazingly valuable feedback that will improve your product... And this is what I see... crickets. And if the "moderator" doesn't allow this post I will start begin my boycott... or I could become a great advocate... do the right thing 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Evernote was busy removing all useful buttons from the Note window in Mac and replacing them with a big green SHARE button. Note merging is just not important.

• Like 1
On 8/23/2020 at 11:16 PM, EdH said:

We have voted for it. ------- Not many Evernote users are even on this forum, much less understand how the voting works. But this idea has been around going on 5 years and it never happens. We just get more stuff we don't vote for, like increasingly large NEW NOTE buttons, removal of note toolbars, etc.

Can we all stop this nonsense of saying vote for it? I didn't realise a voting system even existed until the EN acolytes starting harping on about about it. EN obviously could care less about "votes".

What part of "Evernote either don't read this forum or think they know what customers want when actually they have no idea"

is not getting through? They are absolutely on doggy ground and the minute an alternative that allows easy synch, merge and manual sorting proves viable I will move and I suspect many others will.

I have used EN for 9 years now but rarely visit this little community because it is filled with acolytes and obviously ignored by the so called EN management team.

I don't think anyone at EN actually knows anything about marketing.

I continue to use EN because no matter where I am in the world and whatever network I am on it synchs.

Many apps do not synch especially on slow networks involving iCloud or Dropbox BUT, and this has been pointed out several times

....IF Evernote allowed notes to be sorted within a note book manually

...then merged people would use Evernote rather than say Ulysses (subscription) or Scrivener.  

EN are ignoring SUGGESTIONS and leaving fruit on the trees for others to harvest.

An absolute starting point would be for EN web to have the abilities of say EN windows or MAC i.e merge. Then if the apps don't do the required job then you use the browser system.

Like MANY I have considered travelling and working with only my iPad and a keyboard. But it is unworkable why? Because the IOS Evernote does not have the same features/capabilities of the EN Mac.

If you have valid suggestions regarding EN I suggest you hit reddit and Twitter. At least the EN heroes here wont try and belittle you and tell you to press some silly vote button to support your arguments.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

This has been brought up numerous times, and honestly, that still isn't enough. :)

I recently messed up a merging on the Mac and got tired of fooling with it, restored my notes from teh trash and merged them on Windows because that merges in the order selected.

Evernote, please show us Mac users some love here!

• Like 1

Anything to make sorting the order of merged notes would be such a huge gain! At minimum to be able to do it in click order, but even if there was an easier way of doing it once they were merged. One idea could be that they could be dragged up and down and potentially treated as "notes within notes"

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, David Sarnowski said:

This is really important especially since we cannot *unmerge* notes if you get it wrong.

After merging, the original notes are moved to the Trash folder.
You can "unmerge" by retrieving them

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, DTLow said:

After merging, the original notes are moved to the Trash folder.
You can "unmerge" by retrieving them

But this is a pain. But yeah, you can effectively "undo" the mess.

I am fortunate I also use the Windows client and I save all my merges for that platform. It is unbelievable that macOS still cannot do this. 

As now paying customers, I think it's more than showing some love - this is a reasonable request regarding a product failure that lessens the value of my purchase - and I no longer have three devices to worry about, so whether or not I keep paying for the upgrade is really dependent on the utility of the product. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, DebiB said:

It would also be helpful if there was a way to determine if the Evernote personnel responsible for deciding whether to implement it have read the request.

My understanding is that Evernote set up these forums to receive feature requests, and they take note of the posts

Its not their practice to respond to each request, or to comment on future development plans.  I've learned to carry on without receiving a stock response to submissions.

>>and the votes are now up to 22 as of the writing of this post. I wonder what it takes to get Evernote to consider it seriously

I'm confident Evernote considers each feature request seriously.  I don't need to know why priority is given to certain development work.  It's Evernote's business/product.  

I can accept a No, or Not at this time.  I have the option of switching to a different product; it's my choice to use Evernote

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

My understanding is that Evernote set up these forums to receive feature requests, and they take note of the posts

Its not their practice to respond to each request, or to comment on future development plans.  I've learned to carry on without receiving a stock response to submissions.

>>and the votes are now up to 22 as of the writing of this post. I wonder what it takes to get Evernote to consider it seriously

I'm confident Evernote considers each feature request seriously.  I don't need to know why priority is given to certain development work.  It's Evernote's business/product.  

I can accept a No, or Not at this time.  I have the option of switching to a different product; it's my choice to use Evernote

I, on the other hand, think it is VERY MUCH my business as a customer whether Evernote addresses our constantly repeated concerns. While it's certainly my choice to use EN or not, I'd like to think that EN might have some interest in retaining customers. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
16 hours ago, Biggyfatoms said:

Evernote your gonna start losing a lot of customers if you continue to allow threads like this to go unacknowledged.

You're welcome to indicate support for this request by using the vote button at the upper left corner

There doesn't seem much user interest for this feature - only 38 votes

• Level 5

Where is the Problem: Select the notes, Click merge, done ?

We are here not discussing that there would be NO merge, we are discussing whether it is necessary to preselect a sequence into the merge.

If you want it, vote for it.

No "problem" that I see either. And yes, the merge function works but constrains the user's ability to sort the selected notes within the merged note. The "request" is to alter the merge order (as many apps and programs allow) to suit the user need rather than the current multiple necessary, time-consuming workarounds.

The "request" is to alter the merge order (as many apps and programs allow)

Which apps? I have been looking for this for years. The only one I have found is Notebookapp which relies on Dropbox and is often flakey. Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks.

8 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Evernote/Windows    🙂

Thanks for nothing......Not exactly a solution for Mac/IOS users. Bear allows notes to be merged but not sorted manually. Why is this so difficult. If you are writing an article/webpage/Book and simply want to change structure the only other apps available are scrivener and ulysses- more complications. Evernote is SO close to being the ideal all in one app but I guess most people simply don't need it. But it is a mystery why merge is not available  on IOS and Evernote Web and EN team have ignored requests for years.

• Level 5

This thread is about MacOS, and that you can’t select the sequence in which to merge.

The issue you mention has nothing to do with this request. If you want to open a voting on the server based merge (which means mobile and web clients), please open your own thread in the feature requests segment.

9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

This thread is about MacOS, and that you can’t select the sequence in which to merge.

The issue you mention has nothing to do with this request. If you want to open a voting on the server based merge (which means mobile and web clients), please open your own thread in the feature requests segment.

There are several threads some dating back years on here asking for same- all ignored so really what is the point? Maybe the Joplin developers will latch onto the suggestions/request here then things will change.

At the moment I gather information into notes export to notebooks app then sort manually and combine into a document . A work around all be it a rather inefficient work around. 

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, rob24hrs said:

Why not?

There's doesn't seem to be much interest in this feature (only 38 user votes)   
The Mac merge sequence matches the sequence the notes are displayed   

There may be driven by OS
The Windows merge sequence matches the selection order of notes

• Level 5*
On 8/22/2020 at 1:12 PM, PinkElephant said:

Where is the Problem: Select the notes, Click merge, done ?

We are here not discussing that there would be NO merge, we are discussing whether it is necessary to preselect a sequence into the merge.

If you want it, vote for it.

We have voted for it. The frustration is the Windows client does this. What is the point of merging notes of they merge in a seemingly random order, or any order that is not what the user wants? I'm thankful I have a Windows machine. This is so back on macOS that when I need to merge there, I just move those notes into a tempMerge folder and merge them later on my Windows PC.

The vote feature here is kinda lame. Not many Evernote users are even on this forum, much less understand how the voting works. But this idea has been around going on 5 years and it never happens. We just get more stuff we don't vote for, like increasingly large NEW NOTE buttons, removal of note toolbars, etc.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, EdH said:

merge in a seemingly random order,

That's incorrect     
On a Mac, the notes are merged in a specific order; as displayed in the note list panel   
(for me that's descending modification date/time))

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, rob24hrs said:

Can we all stop this nonsense of saying vote for it?

No     
We have the right to record our support for feature requests
I will continue to advise users to indicate their support with the vote button (upper left corner of the request discussion)   

You can continue with whiny bitching boohoo posts - it's not my style

• Haha 1