Hi All,

I'm working on building a GTD system in Evernote. I've started with TSW's primer, and it's been really helpful after a few tweaks.

Two things I'm wondering are:

1. Is there a way to customize the sidebar to include some tags, but not all. Currently I'm using the Windows version of Evernote app. I use tags to filter my to-do "contexts". I also have some other tags that I use, but don't need all the time (specifically, tags that I use in a specific-use shared notebook, of which I am not the author). I'd love a way to hide those tags from the sidebar. One thing I tried was to put the desired tags in the Shortcuts Column, but that doesn't allow the use of nested tags, or of searching multiple tags

2. Also, is there a way to make tags notebook-specific? That is, if I wanted to make tags that only function within a particulare notebook or stack, can that be done?

I'm looking to the pros! Thanks for your help.

Jordan

@TheShip2005 - Here are some answers to your questions.

1. Put each of your Tags into one of two groups: Frequent and NotFrequent. Then you can use Twistees in the sidebar to show whichever group of Tags you want.
  2. Sure. Just apply each Tag to Notes in a specific Notebook. - - - Of course, if you are concerned that you will forget which Notebook a Tag is associated with, then start the name of each Tag with the name of the Notebook it belongs to.

• Level 5*

1.  If you are using the tag sidebar as a search mechanism, an alternative method is to use Shift-Alt-T to get a tag selection area (just above the note list no matter the view).  This is a quick way to do single tag or multiple tag searches.  So simple for me I typically don't have the left panel open when I am working in EN. but YMMV.  Screen shot for reference.

ScreenClip.thumb.png.3f2e1a9f3459d1d56f1

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, TheShip2005 said:

Is there a way to customize the sidebar to include some tags, but not all. Currently I'm using the Windows version of Evernote app.

18 hours ago, Analyst444 said:

Put each of your Tags into one of two groups: Frequent and NotFrequent. Then you can use Twistees in the sidebar to show whichever group of Tags you want.

Not sure what Twistees are - you Window users have so many cool features

I can't remove tags from the sidebar, but I can hide them 
My tags are in hierarchies under 5 parent tags
In compacted form, my sidebar would only show the parents

56eae70c253a2_ScreenShot2016-03-17at10.1

Clicking on the > expands the parent, for example
56eace626f1fe_ScreenShot2016-03-17at8.32

My child tags all begin with the above parent prefixes
When I start typing a tagname, for example ? the dropdown list shows all my ?who tags

13 hours ago, Analyst444 said:

Put each of your Tags into one of two groups: Frequent and NotFrequent. Then you can use Twistees in the sidebar to show whichever group of Tags you want.

Nice one. This addresses the OP's need for customizing the left panel to simplify what one sees at any given time. Nesting is the simple key here.

12 hours ago, csihilling said:

an alternative method is to use Shift-Alt-T to get a tag selection area

I'm all for this. If you don't remember the keyboard shortcut... just click on the tag icon in the note list toolbar. For most tag categories that we use frequently, we already know what we're looking for... so typing out the first few letters helps to whittle down a list of specific tags. Plus... the awesome thing about this tool in the note list is that besides being able to search by notebook and tag combo (if you have a hybrid system going) is the fact that when you search for a 2nd tag category within a larger one, it only shows the remaining tags which are associated with the first tag you filtered for... and so on. So you don't have to remember more than a handful of tags... it's a process of elimination from there on out/ down as you refine your search.

12 hours ago, DTLow said:

My tags are in hierarchies under 5 parent tags

This is the way to go if you are not in the habit of tagging notes with multiple tags. A good number of your tag categories in the left panel might just be placeholder tags for structure (to nest your tags used therein/ thereunder). 

My advice to the OP would be to use all or multiple of the above strategies.  

This is great, thanks for the help guys. I tried most of the things that you all had mentioned, and as it turns out, I think I'm actually just having a software issue with my desktop app on my work PC! When I tried the nesting again on my Mac, it worked fine...thanks again!

Archived