WebDAV server support & Full Encryption with user-defined key that Evernote cannot unlock (Feature request)

Organizen

Idea

It would be great if Evernote could create support for people to store their information on a personal password-protected webDAV server.  This would put individuals back in control of their own data by allowing customers to encrypt all their data with their own key and store it on their own server of choice.  Perhaps a new version of Evernote could be sold purely as a software product with no subscription -- customers could simply purchase a WebDAV-capable version of the Evernote software and phone app.  This new webDAV version of Evernote could exist side by side with the subscription version -- customers could choose which version suits them best.

For those customers who might prefer to stay with the current subscription model, it would be nice to see Evernote eventually offer to subscribers the option to encrypt all stored data using the strongest encryption available, and using a user-specified encryption key, so that only the individual users themselves are able to decrypt the information.  Many users use Evernote as a kind of digital File-cabinet, and it would be nice if the files were as secure as those stored in a physical file cabinet.

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

It's unwise to say 'never going to happen',  because no-one knows what is in the pipeline for releases in the next 12 months,  but I'd be very surprised if any of this materialises anytime soon.

• Level 5*
On March 11, 2016 at 6:10 PM, Organizen said:

It would be great if Evernote could create support for people to store their information on a personal password-protected webDAV server.  This would put individuals back in control of their own data by allowing customers to encrypt all their data with their own key and store it on their own server of choice.  

I don't understand the server requirement.
There are various postings regarding encryption, but my understanding is that they are client side - On the client app we enrypt our data with a password
How would the server come into this process?

Archived